Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing GPU - Torn between decisions!

Options
  • 12-03-2011 7:46pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, I'm chucking my GTX295. Don't want to go down the multi GPU route again, looking for something less power consuming too, so I'm not looking for something more powerful than the GTX295.

So, I'm sitting here looking at 5/6 different cards, which do ye recommend: 6950, 6970, GTX560/570, or will I splash out on a GTX580? 6950 worth getting and flashing or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Probably depends on what you want to future-proof for. I thought my next card might be a GTX 560 but then I saw that amazing Battlefield 3 footage. Now I'll have to wait until the internet tells me what I'll need to run the game at my preferred resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

I'd recommend a 6950 because they seem pretty bang on the money price to performance ration but I wouldn't even dream of getting it flashed because after awhile the card will fail and even going back to the default bios will not fix it because the damage has already been done something to do with the video memory being different on the 6950 than the 6970

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Found a GTX 480 at 250 euro posted on scan, very good value. Split between that, GTX 570 and the 6970 at the moment...

Opinions? GTX 570 and 6970 are hovering at the 300-ish price range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

the 6970 is a tad bit fast than the gtx 570 so i would be all over the 6970
    (then again i prefer amd as most of my fave games are optimized for them)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

The GTX 480 is essentially a hotter, noisier and slightly more power hungry version of a GTX 570.

This for €300 would get my vote, evga quality and warranty and apparently it overclocks well too.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1280mb-evga-gtx-570-40nm-3800mhz-gddr5-gpu-732mhz-shader-1464mhz-480-cores-dl-dvi-mhdmi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well those 2 posts have left me with 2 choices. The 6970 is a tad more expensive for a tad bit more performance and a tad less power consumption

Choices choices!

Asking for a bit much, but where could I get it cheaper? Either of the cards

Nevermind, bought the MSI GTX570 OC for the same price as that Evga edition. Cheers for the help lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Nevermind, bought the MSI GTX570 OC for the same price as that Evga edition. Cheers for the help lads
    "nvidia fan boy" you should of wrote that on your thread title.

Eh no. I have a 6850 in my secondary PC and I'm happy with it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement