Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PS3 Hard Drive

• 12-03-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi I want to upgrade the 160 GB HD on my PS3 slim. I was just wondering is there a maximum size you can upgrade to without sacrificing performance?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

anything 7200 rpm creates too much heat, and will damage the ps3, so get a 5200rpm, 2.5 inchs & it must be no thicker then 9.5mm (laptop size), so anything inbetween those specs will work !

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

Okay thanks very much. But theres no maximum capacity is there? I could get a 1 TB one no problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

rory16 wrote: »
    Okay thanks very much. But theres no maximum capacity is there? I could get a 1 TB one no problem?

if you can find a 9.5mm 1 tb, it shouldnt be a problem, 1tb's tend to have 3 platters inside them making them thicker, thats the problem,
    there are plenty of 750 gigs for ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

iPwnage wrote: »
    anything 7200 rpm creates too much heat, and will damage the ps3, so get a 5200rpm, 2.5 inchs & it must be no thicker then 9.5mm (laptop size), so anything inbetween those specs will work !

Thats not exactly true, a 12.5mm drive will fit, the tray that holds the HDD will need to be slightly modified though ;)
    OP have a look in shops for a cheap external hard drive, open it's enclosure and use it's HDD, I was able to add a 1tb drive for €70:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Digital Foundry have a decent article about performance differences for difference Hard Disks. They just compared various 500gb Hard Disks with various features (SSD, different cache size, different RPM):
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

• Advertisement
Advertisement