Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lake

Options
  • 12-03-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭

If I am not mistaken, a new lake is meant to be built... near Engineering and the Main Restaurant ?

Is this correct? :confused:

----

Actually could we have some sort of sticky on campus building - it always comes as a surprise to most people when a new building pops up or new hoardings block off previous paths (me included!). Talking of which - when is all the Science building stuff meant to end... ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Talking of which - when is all the Science building stuff meant to end... ?
    I'm guessing never. They've been at it years now, and they're only on Chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Chem is supposed to be done this year and they're starting on the hub after that afaik.

Dont hold your breath though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

One was meant to be built as part of Bradys big plan to re develop the campus but I doubt the money is there any more to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HughOrBrady

If I am not mistaken, a new lake is meant to be built... near Engineering and the Main Restaurant ?

----

Actually could we have some sort of sticky on campus building - it always comes as a surprise to most people when a new building pops up or new hoardings block off previous paths (me included!). Talking of which - when is all the Science building stuff meant to end... ?

Yes it is going ahead - info in latest President's report (P11)

New lake coming Spring/Summer 2011!
    Sutherland School of Law Enabling works are progressing well and are expected to be completed by the end of January 2011. Tenders for the main works have been received and are currently being assessed by the design teams with intensive discussions underway with the potential contractor. It is expected that this process will be completed shortly and, subject to HEA acceptance and approval of the tender report, the University can proceed to appoint a contractor thereafter. The new road layout that was being implemented as part of the Law development opened at the start of semester. Over the spring/summer months, this precinct of the campus will undergo extensive landscaping including the implementation of part of the Ingenhoven Beltwalk and the installation of a lake opposite the renamed Hopkins Centre.
    (Hopkins Centre is the Main Restaurant)

UCD can't afford books for the library but can afford bonuses for Brady & the boys and afford to replace a car park with yet another lake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CMoonheadNo1

That's great to hear about the 'New Lake' being completed. Hopefully Gateway gets underway soon. If it wasn't for FF none of the Campus development would have happened and they deserve a big well done for that.

Charlie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Cmoonheadno1?

You have to be a supporter of Sam G?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CMoonheadNo1

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Cmoonheadno1?

You have to be a supporter of Sam G?

He's a vote for modernisation of the SU and a progressive fellow, but let's leave politics to the Election thread.

Great news about the lake, have they decided what it will be named yet? I think Jamos Carroll Lake would be great as he devoted so many years to the Student Body and repersents Louth in the Seanad very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

UCD can't afford books for the library but can afford bonuses for Brady & the boys and afford to replace a car park with yet another lake...

Can't afford staff either. I'm sure Hugh will release a tear for all the staff let go in various departments when he is eating canapes at the new Hugh Brady Lake :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

That's great to hear about the 'New Lake' being completed. Hopefully Gateway gets underway soon. If it wasn't for FF none of the Campus development would have happened and they deserve a big well done for that.

Charlie

I can't work out if this post is ironic or not... :confused:

Either way the Gateway scheme is a nonsensical vanity project that will be grotesquely expensive, serve to decentralise the campus when what it needs is to be centralised, level the pleasant greenry and current entrance, provide superfluous services, and disrupt the campus for the next couple of years.

Thankfully it is being 'reconsidered' due to economic circumstances.

Phew!

Just noticed the new lake is marked out by yellow sticks in the grass between Eng and the Restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They're not filling in the old one are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I have a question... Why...?

I understand the aesthetic of a lake in the concrete jungle so one is grand for a bit of scenery but when i walk through that campus the last thing i think is this place could use another lake!

They should put the money into giving more of the buildings a new facade like the science building which i think is a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I have a question... Why...?

I understand the aesthetic of a lake in the concrete jungle so one is grand for a bit of scenery but when i walk through that campus the last thing i think is this place could use another lake!

They should put the money into giving more of the buildings a new facade like the science building which i think is a very good idea.

1 word. Prestige, Harvard has a river running through it!

Good luck filling in the old lake. The number of dead animals that must be fermenting it have made it self aware. It will destroy the concrete truck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

smk89 wrote: »
    1 word. Prestige, Harvard has a river running through it!

Good luck filling in the old lake. The number of dead animals that must be fermenting it have made it self aware. It will destroy the concrete truck

Nah, the clean it out every few years.

Have any of the SU candidates said anything about this yet? This is the type of thing they should be up in arms about, wasting of much needed money, instead of making ridiculous comments about acts for the 2012 ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Have any of the SU candidates said anything about this yet? This is the type of thing they should be up in arms about, wasting of much needed money, instead of making ridiculous comments about acts for the 2012 ball.

Would that not be the greatest example of the pot calling the kettle black?

Would that not be the greatest example of the pot calling the kettle black?

Of course! But it's still the type of thing the SU should be fighting.

Advertisement