Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official website promoting Ireland to businesses misses out Waterford

• 12-03-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

The Meet in Ireland website is the official gateway to Ireland for businesses and organisations interested in Ireland as a destination for association conferences, meetings, incentives and corporate events.

Meet in Ireland is run by Fáilte Ireland, Tourism Ireland and the Northern Ireland Tourism Board.

http://www.meetinireland.com/Home.aspx

Not on the map or the selection of cities!

Am disgusted and contacting them to protest - please all do so as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 viking2011

i brought this to their attention nearly 6 months ago -- to a few of their departments. The Replied that Waterford does not have a conference centre, no hotel can hold more that 600 for a sit down conference and then there is no where to lunch or dinner together. seemingly our hotel infrastructure is sadly lacking.
    but i still think we should be in with a chance with small conferences, up to 200-300 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 37 snausbaby

How many businesses are going to fly in 600 people to Ireland for a conference !

Still think there is no excuse - if Waterford doesn't suit some fair enough but as they say - "you have to be in it to win it"

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

Hi there and greetings, I'm new to Boards.
    I have mailed these people regarding this issue, since I feel it's pretty neglectful of the hosts not to include Waterford on their map and cities list (not least because I have business in Waterford). I have yet to receive an answer. Plus I don't think it's necessary to have an officially designated 'conference centre' in order to have a conference (what's wrong with hiring a space from WIT, for example :confused:). I feel that simple ignorance has let the site in question down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

that is absolutely scandalous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Cities:
    •Dublin
    •Belfast
    •Cork
    •Limerick / Shannon
    •Kilkenny
    •Galway
    •Derry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Aarnikotka wrote: »
    Hi there and greetings, I'm new to Boards.
    I have mailed these people regarding this issue, since I feel it's pretty neglectful of the hosts not to include Waterford on their map and cities list (not least because I have business in Waterford). I have yet to receive an answer. Plus I don't think it's necessary to have an officially designated 'conference centre' in order to have a conference (what's wrong with hiring a space from WIT, for example :confused:). I feel that simple ignorance has let the site in question down.

Greetings Aarnikotka, very good post i must say, I fully agree with all of it.

I'm one of the big guns around here so any questions or anything at all let me know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

[QUOTE=newportwex;71136439
    I'm one of the big guns around here so any questions or anything at all let me know:)[/QUOTE]

No offence or anything but why do you always say this? I know it's off topic but just curious. What makes you a big gun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

newportwex wrote: »
    Greetings Aarnikotka, very good post i must say, I fully agree with all of it.

I'm one of the big guns around here so any questions or anything at all let me know:)

Mod Note:

Well I'm afraid that's it. You have been asked two if not three times by Aquos to cut that out. It's a pity I did hope you'd go out in a blaze of glory like your friend. I have no doubt you'll try and re-reg so I'm sure we'll see you soon.

Newportwex banned permanently from Fourm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

snausbaby wrote: »
    Meet in Ireland is run by Fáilte Ireland, Tourism Ireland and the Northern Ireland Tourism Board.
    My attitude is this: F*ck 'em!

It is time that Waterforders stood on our own feet and took back our rightful place as the First Irish City. This means doing things ourselves and promoting Waterford rather than depending on Faulty Oireland.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

ziedth wrote: »
    Mod Note:

Well I'm afraid that's it. You have been asked two if not three times by Aquos to cut that out. It's a pity I did hope you'd go out in a blaze of glory like your friend. I have no doubt you'll try and re-reg so I'm sure we'll see you soon.

Newportwex banned permanently from Fourm.

And good riddance!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

e-mail to info@meetinireland.com

I think all should send an e-mail to this crowd

I wish to draw you attention to the omision of Waterford from the drop down section and city map section of the website. There are 5 cities in Ireland (Republic) according to the Local Government Act: Dublin, Limerick, Cork, Galway and Waterford. Waterford should appear as a city location on the map and drop down sections. I feel this is a glaring error and should be corrected. Waterford is the largest city in the south east, the population centre, commerical centre, the infrastruture centre, transport centre and the gateway city to the south east. Waterford has numerous conference locations to offer the business world as well as attractions being Ireland's oldest city, home of Waterford Crystal, museums, wide selection of restaurants, business services, etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wouldn't be the first time Failte Ireland did this and I doubt that local tourism chiefs knew nothing about it for this long tbh.

This is one reason, to their annoyance, there are many private operators promoting tourism in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Didn't the Green party have their AGM last year in the Tower Hotel & Fine Gael in Faithlegg?

plenty of places capable of hosting conferences in Waterford.

Bord Failte are a disgrace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 S_Snail

viking2011 wrote: »
    i brought this to their attention nearly 6 months ago -- to a few of their departments. The Replied that Waterford does not have a conference centre, no hotel can hold more that 600 for a sit down conference and then there is no where to lunch or dinner together. seemingly our hotel infrastructure is sadly lacking.
    but i still think we should be in with a chance with small conferences, up to 200-300 maybe

If you look at Kilkenny only 2 of the hotels they advertise can take 600+. The Newpark hotel advertises a maximum of 80 places where its sister hotel The Park Hotel in Dungarvan can take up to 300.

It's unbelieveable that they exclude a city because, despite having several good quality conference venues, they don't have one that can take over 600. I'll be emailing my complaint now and asking my elected representatives what they are going to do about it.

I do agree with JMCC that if we keep getting forgotton about we should do something more to promote ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Failte Ireland have replied in today's Munster Express and Irish Examiner. They are basically blaming Waterford for not telling them we are interested in business conferences. Disgraceful.

You would think the local Failte Ireland people would have invited the local business community to be a part of the Meet in Ireland website. That's their job. And what about the Failte Ireland Chairman who was also recently President/Chairman of WIT and has been a major local business figure for the last decade at least. You would think he would make sure Waterford was included on this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Well there is no shock in the fact the local council failed to get involved.

They were much too busy getting their mugs in the paper for crap causes.

Waterford deserves what it gets.....
    When you have utter clowns in charge, you make people laugh at you.
    Simple as

How were the Council to know this website was being made unless Failte Ireland told them? You can't blame them for this, and I think your "crap causes" remark is very unfair to them. Most of those causes are for local charities and supporting the community.

are you seriously telling me the city council didnt know about a Failte Ireland website promiting business to incoming tourists?

If you are, doesnt that prove my arguement that 90% of the council are there for their own gain and not ''supporting the community''

Take a look at this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHJceUAjS9U

20 years and is there much differance??
    Waterford City Council are a joke... I have had meetings with other committe's and council's in Ireland in my time, and most of them laugh at us..
    Its a fact.
    You only have to walk through the city to realise that, but in fairness they are probablt posing for a picture as we speak....

savic04 wrote: »
    are you seriously telling me the city council didnt know about a Failte Ireland website promiting business to incoming tourists?
    Yes. I don't know that for a fact but it there is no way that the City Council or anyone else was informed by Failte Ireland that they were producing this website.

Its the council's job to promote Waterford for business gain.

Failte Ireland didnt just get the idea that we have no conferance space by plucking it from the air.

They would of at least made call's to the local Tourism board who a leading memeber was on council for a time.

• Advertisement

Its the council's job to promote Waterford for business gain.

Failte Ireland didnt just get the idea that we have no conferance space by plucking it from the air.

They would of at least made call's to the local Tourism board who a leading memeber was on council for a time.
    The local guy in Failte Ireland is Gary Breen - if he did contact someone in the Council about this then why did he not state that in his reply? He could have said "well I told the Council we were building this website but they were not interested in having Waterford on it". What he is saying is no one came to him to tell him Waterford should be a business conference destination, but it's his job to make sure Waterford is included in these Failte Ireland marketing initiatives promoting the City and indeed the South East region.

It is NOT Failte Ireland's fault for Waterford not being able to host business conferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I reckon if Failte Ireland were involved in a new web site and the local Failte Ireland guy didn't stand up for Waterford then what use is he to Waterford. Get rid of him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its not the councils fault. How many people have tried to develop a large hotel here? Did they refuse them unfairly?

The problem is Failte Ireland South East which is based in Waterford. That's who the finger should be firmly pointed at. Its their job to promote Waterford and they work closely with their counterparts around the country. Failte Ireland had their annual conference, I think it was, in Waterford a few weeks ago in the Woodlands.

Its what they are paid todo, and they failed. Nothing new there. This is the second time this has happened that I recall.

It is NOT Failte Ireland's fault for Waterford not being able to host business conferences.
    But Waterford IS able to host business conferences and does so all the time.

The most recent high profile example would be when the Green Party had their Ard Fheis thing in the Tower Hotel.

Lots of places are capable of hosting conferences: Theatre Royal, Tower Hotel, Dooley's Hotel, WIT, Woodlands Hotel, Faithlegg House Hotel, Large Room in City Hall. Now, they may not be 5 star hotels and massive conference centres but they are still capable of hosting conferences of up to a few hundred people.

Fine Gael had a meeting in the Faithlegg also.

Young Fine Gael had (small scale) a Summer School Conference over a weekend in The Grand Hotel in Tramore.

Failte Ireland knew all about the Woodlands Hotel for their conference recently.

Its ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

The local guy in Failte Ireland is Gary Breen - if he did contact someone in the Council about this then why did he not state that in his reply? He could have said "well I told the Council we were building this website but they were not interested in having Waterford on it". What he is saying is no one came to him to tell him Waterford should be a business conference destination, but it's his job to make sure Waterford is included in these Failte Ireland marketing initiatives promoting the City and indeed the South East region.

i was at a high level meeting - City Manager - Failte Irelands Gary Breen ere there - i raised the point about meetinireland and dobusinessinireland web sites - Gary Said Waterford had no conference centre - unlike Kilkenny.

i said we have WIT, Theatre Royal, Tower Hetel etc
    He Said we do not have one single venue for a large scale meeting and then cater for lunch/dinner
    i said we have lots of smaller venues -
    He shot me down!

Tower Hotel did have plans for a huge conference cenre - but in present economy - it will not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I don´t think the city council can be blamed for this situation. They can hardly go over the head of the local failte Ireland people

but Gary Breen ..... crap footballer & crap Failte Ireland representative!

Who is this guy? What are his qualifications & experience .... because he certainly isn´t doing his job.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Take a look at this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHJceUAjS9U

20 years and is there much differance??

Not much change in that time,

• Advertisement

your missing the point here..

Why is waterford left out of nationwide things so often.
    Why dont we have these facilites like KK has when all through the boom years these projects were planned.
    Why dont we have decent shopping facilites attracting incoming business,
    Why is all our customers travelling to places like Kilkenny, Clonmel etc instead of shopping in Waterford.
    Why do we need things like Tall Ships once every 5 years to attract people to the city
    Why is Waterford currently resembling a ghost town in its so called City Centre?
    Why did the local Failte IReland board not ensure the council were involved in such promotion?

Why?
    It couldnt be the fault of the superb council we have, surely not....

Advertisement