Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROADKILL :(

• 12-03-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

I have on a few occasions stopped on the road after seeing a dog who has been hit and no one bothered to stop. Once I had to call out a vet to have a poor puppy PTS, worst experience I ever had to go through. I never found the pups owner put I am glad I was there in its final hours as he took his last breath. Later I got a box and blanket and buried it. The vet was jsut going to leave it on the road side :(

However I have not always been able to bring myself to stop when I see a animal dead on the road. I usually think of the poor animal all day and hope it wont be there on my way home if in a rush that day. Especially when you know it is a pet. I usually do carry a blanket and cardboard in my car just in case.I wish there were better arrangements about hitting and killing any animal. like give it a bit of dignity and at least put it in a field and not leave it to be run over again and again.

How do you feel about road kill? What would/do you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SteveEuroR

personally i would stop for a dog, I love dogs no matter what breed id hate to see anything happen to one, but nothing else I have hit cats, badgers etc and drove on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

SteveEuroR wrote: »
    personally i would stop for a dog, I love dogs no matter what breed id hate to see anything happen to one, but nothing else I have hit cats, badgers etc and drove on.

alot dont think much for the cats. But I would hate to find my moggy flattened on the road. I think i would top for anything i hit.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Why do people think its awful to hit a dog, but then dont give a crap if they hit another animal? What exactly makes it seem like they have less of a right to life than a dog? I hate seeing dead animals on the road, pet or wildlife and I've stopped for a few. Passed a dead king charles puppy in the middle of a road not too long ago and I pulled it off the road before it could be flattened. I couldn't believe that the person who hit it just left it there. Then again, some people just dont give a **** for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Shanao wrote: »
    Why do people think its awful to hit a dog, but then dont give a crap if they hit another animal? What exactly makes it seem like they have less of a right to life than a dog? I hate seeing dead animals on the road, pet or wildlife and I've stopped for a few. Passed a dead king charles puppy in the middle of a road not too long ago and I pulled it off the road before it could be flattened. I couldn't believe that the person who hit it just left it there. Then again, some people just dont give a **** for some reason.
    I wouldnt say they dont give a sh!t, some people are afraid to stop and see what they did, thats the same with hit and runs on people too, its not that they dont give a sh!t.

I would hate to see any animal on the road, it stays with me.
    I found a cat once and knocked around to nearby houses to find out whose it was. Owners had a bunch of cats and didnt give a damn :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Quite a few people dont though; I've seen people actually swerve for animals on the road. I even heard a group of lads on the bus discussing just what they had hit with their cars as if to see who had killed the biggest animal. One seemed pretty proud of the fact that he had hit and killed a badger.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I would hate to see any animal on the road, it stays with me.
    I found a cat once and knocked around to nearby houses to find out whose it was. Owners had a bunch of cats and didnt give a damn :mad:

thats a real shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

I agree with Shanao; lots of peoples attitudes seem to be if you hit a dog you'd stop but a cat and you'd just drive off??:confused:

Traonach wrote: »
    +1 strange

Yup life is life in my opinion and all should be respected. Even if e don't want to see the damage. take responsibility for our actions!

Shanao wrote: »
    Quite a few people dont though; I've seen people actually swerve for animals on the road. I even heard a group of lads on the bus discussing just what they had hit with their cars as if to see who had killed the biggest animal. One seemed pretty proud of the fact that he had hit and killed a badger.

Poor badgers and hedgehogs dont have much of a chance.... the are so slow I think you must be driving pretty fast to hit one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

sotisme wrote: »
    I agree with Shanao; lots of peoples attitudes seem to be if you hit a dog you'd stop but a cat and you'd just drive off??:confused:
    Isnt it the case that you have to stop if you hit a dog as it is licensed?

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Isnt it the case that you have to stop if you hit a dog as it is licensed?

I thought this but when I stoped recently for a puppy who had been hit they let the girl who hit it go as she was so upset (more about her car if you ask me even though it wasnt marked). I stayed called the vet as no one else had thought to after half an hour!!!!! its back leg was shattered and broke thru and it was hardly moving blood in nose and ears so I knew not good. It was on the edge of road as far as it could crawl. I didnt move it further as it was in pain. Vet came and dragged it in with no concern for dog and looked at it and pts. Then was jsut going to leave it there. End of. Irelands law apparently is not so strict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I once spent 3 hours searching for a rabbit I may or may not have 'clipped' :rolleyes:. When it comes to dogs though, although I would stop myself I don't expect the general population to do the same and have no sympathy at all for the owners, they being the ones responsible for it. Within the last 2 weeks I've heard 3 different people ranting and raving and in one case crying about their dogs being killed on the road, 2 of these were puppies and all were let wander around the country like strays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I hate to see roadkill.

A few years back I stopped to let ducklings cross the road. The fukking bitch coming the other way drove through and killed 1 of them and drove on. The rest of them and the poor mother went beserk and ran straight back into the ditches. I pulled over and was almost in tears at the side of the road.
    I turned around as I wanted to move them into the side in case any of the others got killed but by the time I turned the car a magpie had swooped in and taken it.

My neighbours keep cats, at least 3 or 4 and every so often one of them gets killed on our road, I get really upset when I see them as we tend to get to know them as they potter through the garden every so often.

I once spent 3 hours searching for a rabbit I may or may not have 'clipped' :rolleyes:. When it comes to dogs though, although I would stop myself I don't expect the general population to do the same and have no sympathy at all for the owners, they being the ones responsible for it. Within the last 2 weeks I've heard 3 different people ranting and raving and in one case crying about their dogs being killed on the road, 2 of these were puppies and all were let wander around the country like strays.

Yes its true it is the owners faults in many cases (pets), and in other cases its us taking over animals natural habitats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I have a cheery story about "Roadkill" if it helps :)

I was visiting a friend who lives on a small but relatively busy country road. When I was there her kids came in to say that there was a dead cat out on the road and that they wanted to go out to move it off the road so it wouldn't get more squished. My friend's daughter is 12 and wants to be a vet, and as I used to work as a Vet's Assistant I said I'd go out with them, so that I could help her learn to deal with dead/dying animals or shield them if it was too awful for kids to see.

So we went out and there was this gorgeous perfect kitten (7/8 months) lying on the road, looked just like my own cat, jet black. I went over and nudged it with my foot, because if it had been there a while and was very stiff I wanted to warn the kids. But no, he was still soft, a recent victim. So I went to lift him, still being careful in case he had a serious injury that I couldn't see (it was getting dark and he was jet black), but he was perfect. So we moved him off the road into the grass, he was still warm in his armpit but I could feel no heartbeat, so I just rubbed him and talked to him a bit and left him safe where he wouldn't get destroyed on the road. There was no way of knowing who owned him as there's just fields around there.

The kids went out a few hours later, the cat was gone. No one else lives on that stretch of road, nobody was around, so the only conclusion we came to was that he was just concussed, and got up and went away. My grandad said it used to happen all the time on their farm when he was a kid, cat would get a belt of something they shouldn't be near, be knocked out for a while then just come around.

So if we hadn't moved him he would definitely have been run over, even though he was still ok.

I always stop if I think the animal is still alive/dying, or can be moved off the road. I hate seeing dead dogs on the motorway because I can't really stop, I saw one lie on the inside of the fast lane for a week once, I called the local SPCA twice and they said they'd go out, but if they did it took them 5 days, while someone's pet lay there :(

Spadina wrote: »
    I have a cheery story about "Roadkill" if it helps :)

I was visiting a friend who lives on a small but relatively busy country road. When I was there her kids came in to say that there was a dead cat out on the road and that they wanted to go out to move it off the road so it wouldn't get more squished. My friend's daughter is 12 and wants to be a vet, and as I used to work as a Vet's Assistant I said I'd go out with them, so that I could help her learn to deal with dead/dying animals or shield them if it was too awful for kids to see.

So we went out and there was this gorgeous perfect kitten (7/8 months) lying on the road, looked just like my own cat, jet black. I went over and nudged it with my foot, because if it had been there a while and was very stiff I wanted to warn the kids. But no, he was still soft, a recent victim. So I went to lift him, still being careful in case he had a serious injury that I couldn't see (it was getting dark and he was jet black), but he was perfect. So we moved him off the road into the grass, he was still warm in his armpit but I could feel no heartbeat, so I just rubbed him and talked to him a bit and left him safe where he wouldn't get destroyed on the road. There was no way of knowing who owned him as there's just fields around there.

The kids went out a few hours later, the cat was gone. No one else lives on that stretch of road, nobody was around, so the only conclusion we came to was that he was just concussed, and got up and went away. My grandad said it used to happen all the time on their farm when he was a kid, cat would get a belt of something they shouldn't be near, be knocked out for a while then just come around.

So if we hadn't moved him he would definitely have been run over, even though he was still ok.

I always stop if I think the animal is still alive/dying, or can be moved off the road. I hate seeing dead dogs on the motorway because I can't really stop, I saw one lie on the inside of the fast lane for a week once, I called the local SPCA twice and they said they'd go out, but if they did it took them 5 days, while someone's pet lay there :(

Good point too, how are we to know if they are dead or alive if we dont check, poor things. As for the SPCA... ahem I shall stay quite on that.

As for the SPCA... ahem I shall stay quite on that.

Huh?

Spadina wrote: »
    Huh?

Any time I have rang them emailed or anything I never hear anythingt back unless it is to refer me to another organisation. Not entirely there fault I know they under manned but shame they not more efficient.

Any time I have rang them emailed or anything I never hear anythingt back unless it is to refer me to another organisation. Not entirely there fault I know they under manned but shame they not more efficient.

Hmm that's what I assumed you meant actually, and yeah I understand that they are busy too but it would be good if they could even refer people on quickly to someone that can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

I thought this but when I stoped recently for a puppy who had been hit they let the girl who hit it go as she was so upset (more about her car if you ask me even though it wasnt marked). I stayed called the vet as no one else had thought to after half an hour!!!!! its back leg was shattered and broke thru and it was hardly moving blood in nose and ears so I knew not good. It was on the edge of road as far as it could crawl. I didnt move it further as it was in pain. Vet came and dragged it in with no concern for dog and looked at it and pts. Then was jsut going to leave it there. End of. Irelands law apparently is not so strict.

At the risk of being banned..Ireland's animal welfare/rights laws are a joke. And many of the vets and dog wardens would be more suited to working in an abattoir. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Vets actually aren't allowed to put down animals they find on the road no matter how much pain the animal is in, even if it is screaming in agony they have to wait until a member of the gardaí gives the go ahead or until they find an owner and the owner gives consent. :(

It kills me to see dead animals on the road, I don't like seeing dead wildlife but I have hardened to it in the last few years because of where I live there is a large population of badgers and rabbits, but people's dead pets be it dog or cat really in a way annoys me, it could so easily have been prevented by keeping the dog enclosed in a garden and the cat indoors. I don't yet drive (been put on the long finger for a long while :rolleyes:) but I dread the day I hit an animal.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Vets actually aren't allowed to put down animals they find on the road no matter how much pain the animal is in, even if it is screaming in agony they have to wait until a member of the gardaí gives the go ahead or until they find an owner and the owner gives consent. :(

It kills me to see dead animals on the road, I don't like seeing dead wildlife but I have hardened to it in the last few years because of where I live there is a large population of badgers and rabbits, but people's dead pets be it dog or cat really in a way annoys me, it could so easily have been prevented by keeping the dog enclosed in a garden and the cat indoors. I don't yet drive (been put on the long finger for a long while :rolleyes:) but I dread the day I hit an animal.

Well I presume the fact that I called the gardai first meant that the vet had authorization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Hit a rabbit last Sept still feel gutted about it, have nearly crashed trying to avoid foxes, cats even rats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Zapperzy wrote: »

Technically true but in reality untrue. No Guard is going to overrule a Vet. They will be relieved that it is out of their hands. Also a Vet swears a Hippocratic oath to prevent suffering to animals in his/her care. No Court would ever rule against a Vet who put down an animal in distress where the owner was unknown at the time. Even if the dog had a name tag & the Vet/Guard phoned but didn't speak to the owner it would still be acceptable to put the animal down to prevent further suffering.

The powers of the Gardai are as follows:

“If any member of the Garda Siochana finds any dog or cat which has been fatally injured in a public place and which appears to him to have been fatally injured, or so severely injured that undue suffering would be inflicted on it if he complies with the subsection (1 ) of the PrincipalAct, he may in the absence of its owner forthwith destroy the animal or cause or procure it to be destroyed in such a manner as to inflict as little suffering as practicable, and may remove the carcass or cause or procure it to be removed.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

What would i do? Not let my dogs roam in the first place! But if i hit somethin, be it dog, fox etc id stop. Just to make sure it wasnt suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

What would i do? Not let my dogs roam in the first place! But if i hit somethin, be it dog, fox etc id stop. Just to make sure it wasnt suffering..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've often stopped to move an animal which has been killed on the road, whether a dog, cat, badger, or deer. I'd hate the thought of my pet lying on the road getting squished, so to spare another owner from finding a squished pet I'll move their pet.

On the topic of 'prevention is better than cure', there's a new house recently completed on our road and they have a lovely little JRT for whom I've had to break rather abruptly more than once (and I've seen lots of cars do the same, as have other family members). So one day I called into the house (with the dog) and told them it was on the road, and they seemed really appreciative. However, when I was coming home later that day, the dog was back out on the road... I really don't see this ending well, but apart from calling into them again (hopefully not with an injured, or even dead dog), I don't know what else to do.

But I really don't understand people who will drive past, or even drive over (sometimes deliberately), an already fatally injured animal on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Oh God...this thread has brought back a horrible memory.

Was few years ago just leaving the pub from my lunch heading back up to work when I saw my boss and co-worker out in middle of road and cars moving around them.....

I knew my boss was on the beer but was like what the flip is she doing in the street?:confused:

Then I saw it :(
    Poor little black kitten and heard the miaowing and it's wee legs trying to move. It had been hit by car but was still alive, but unfortunately had part of it's face/skull flattened to the road. The boss and co-worker were preventing other cars from running it over fully but they had no idea what to do.

They eventually found someone to help and remove the kitten but it died due to the injuries.

Just few days ago me and my Mum were driving to town and saw a freshly hit badger. I know it was recent enough as it looked mostly intact...no idea if it was dead. Wanted mum to stop the car so I could move it but she wouldn't as I had no gloves, she was worried in case maybe it had diseases or if still alive could bite or claw me in distress. Can understand her point but was raged at same time. Told her when I have my own car I'll have towels and newspaper and a crate and crap loads of gloves, so I can move the dead animal or if it's alive take it to vet!!! :(

I know there is a shelter the one in Kildare that looks after injured wildlife but would your own local vet know much about how to treat wildlife?:confused:

I live in the country and no one round here would even dream of taking an injured wildlife animal to the vets. They barely take their own pets :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I saw a deer in a ditch at the side of a Wicklow road last weekend, hate to have seen the car that hit that :eek:
    Also seen a truck that hit a cow on the n11 some years back, not a pretty sight at all :(

If I hit a wild animal I'd stop to check for damage to the car and check the animal, and do anything I could within reason. If I hit a pet I'd stop to check for tag/ owner etc to make sure any damage to the car will be paid for, and obviously help the animal if at all possible.

Advertisement