Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverside Fire

Options
  • 12-03-2011 9:23pm

The Galway Advertiser Facebook page is reporting that:
    Breaking news- Biggest fire in Galway for years being battled at Riverside Commercial Estate. Massive mushroom cloud over city. Four units of fire brigade there. Hard to make out which unit is ablaze but it is about three units further in than Cases wine warehouse.

Anyone got any more information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Looks like the cloud is blowing towards Mervue, passed it there a while ago and the cloud is something serious.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Heard serious amount of fire engines earlier alrite but just looked out the door here(In bohermore) and Serious smoke in that direction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

have friends in mervue who say the smog is so bad it hard to breath....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Holy cow. I hope they can get it under control soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, just saw it there when out driving.
    Mad thing, massive smoke cloud just hanging there. Very ominous.

• Advertisement

so no ideas yet what started it and what exactly is burning? Gonna listen on galway bay at 9 or rte

Wasn't it Mervue that had that huge tyre fire a few years back, where the smoke drifted over a large part of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My dad is stuck in traffic by there, he said the fire is by The Trappers Inn/ Casey Wines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My dad is stuck in traffic by there, he said the fire is by The Trappers Inn/ Casey Wines

Traffic heavy? Was gonna go up for a look (yes, i'm a nosy pr1ck!)

Wasn't it Mervue that had that huge tyre fire a few years back, where the smoke drifted over a large part of the city?

Kieran Farrell's I think.

• Advertisement

Think the Gardai are just diverting traffic because the fire is close to the main road. Ah sure go for a 'ol nosey and bring the camera too ;)

6 units on fire since 8pm 4 brigades there so far.. can be seen from moycullen and corrundulla.... galway bay fm report

Apparently it's the liquidation furniture store that's on fire!

On twitter "Galway Fire is spreading towards the road. Latest word is that all of the units there are in danger - Vardens, Cases, Liquidation Store and Cunniffes and the Cunningham-Higgins Van Centre are in danger too."

Apparently it's the liquidation furniture store that's on fire!

4 units already destroyed that probably being one of them... sounds of it the whole place is going down. Doubt hte brigade can do anything but try contain this till it burns itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Hubby rang me about 20mins ago and said the fire was monstrous with about 4 of the commercial units ablaze!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Pity to hear about this.Hopefully the fire brigade will contain it and get it under control soon and the firefighters will get home safely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Big crowd down looking at it.

I got stuck in the traffic as morons were half parking on the footpath to get a good old look.

One particular idiot "undertook" the line of traffic, using the footpath as a road to get as close as possible, then a Guard gave them a bollocking with a big "what the ****?" expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Galway advertiser Facebook Page is starting to get links to photos now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Driving in on the Motorway from Dubin. The smoke plume is visible for *miles*. hope everyone is ok.

• Advertisement

Stolen from Advertiser fb page

199365_10150116875758904_678678903_6199195_7895893_n.jpg

196777_10150116875923904_678678903_6199196_7473866_n.jpg

188293_10150123007421941_323864916940_6286436_2482922_n.jpg

Another pic from Galway Advertiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Oh man, I really hope they can stop it advancing. 3 of my favourite businesses there. Celtic Futon, Cases and Cunniffe's. Terrible that the ones already destroyed are gone as well.

Its reached cunnifes and carpet world is next to that .. easy fuel.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Any sign of it being brought under control??

Galway Advertiser is confirming that 5 business have been destroyed with many more under threat.

Vodkat wrote: »
    Any sign of it being brought under control??

If they do then that would be amazing... but between the alcohol in cases the fuel in westlink the equipment in the gym the electrics in cunniffes and soon carpetworld I imagine this will be a furnace until the fuel is gone and then it will be contained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Just from the GA FB Page:
    All units in county are on alert and more units are due there in the enxt few minutes. There are water supply issues and cranes with hoses are on their way as well. Valuable Mercedes vans in the Cunningham Higgins building have been moved.

Advertisement