Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverside Fire

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Any pictures emerging of what it looks like in the light of day?

The Galway Advertiser FB page said they'll have some whenever they get them, so I reckon it shouldn't be too long.

Any 100% confirmations on what is and isn't destroyed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Well the owner of Cases was on FB saying it was safe and would be opening at midday today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greatbuzzman

I was coming out from Galway on the motorway heading in the Dublin direction and I saw a fire brigade but I hadn't heard anything about the fire at that time. Roughly around 7 30

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Robbo wrote: »
    Joe Public loves a good mystery blaze.

Yeah, 'cause sure these aren't businesses that any of us frequent, or know people who do, or know people who work there. Nah, we're all just virtually rubbernecking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was told this morning that the owner of Westlink cars has found alternative premises already, and has replacement stock arriving on Monday.

I don't usually spread stories like these without links, but on this occasion it's good news from a source that I think is particularly reliable, so have made an exception.

Bit of a sharp wake-up for all the owners (and owners of unaffected businesses too), in terms of basic continuity planning. A regular off-site back up of the office PC could be the difference between surviving and not for some of the companies concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JustMary wrote: »
    I was told this morning that the owner of Westlink cars has found alternative premises already, and has replacement stock arriving on Monday.

I don't usually spread stories like these without links, but on this occasion it's good news from a source that I think is particularly reliable, so have made an exception.

Bit of a sharp wake-up for all the owners (and owners of unaffected businesses too), in terms of basic continuity planning. A regular off-site back up of the office PC could be the difference between surviving and not for some of the companies concerned.

Not to mention backing-up at an off-site location!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Yeah, 'cause sure these aren't businesses that any of us frequent, or know people who do, or know people who work there. Nah, we're all just virtually rubbernecking.
    not a fan of Phoenix Nights then?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Looks like a bad fire, anyone have any pictures of how the area is now during the day?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0313/galway.html
    There was a clip on the 6.01 news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

If no one can see the video of the 6.1 here is a picture from it.

That picture shows us that the car dealership and the liquidation store were definitely destroyed, what of the others? Anything confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

how did it start? Wasn't it lucky everything was closed at the time.

Was It deliberate? Insurance job? or accidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

how did it start? Wasn't it lucky everything was closed at the time.

Was It deliberate? Insurance job? or accidental?

Are you expecting an arsonist or the owner of a building to reply to you and say 'ah glad, you asked sure it was me and a can of petrol that did it'?

You'll find most fires start with a source of ignition and fuel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

Webbs wrote: »
    Are you expecting an arsonist or the owner of a building to reply to you and say 'ah glad, you asked sure it was me and a can of petrol that did it'?

You'll find most fires start with a source of ignition and fuel :rolleyes:

Well i for one think it was done as an insurence scam but trust me i didnt do it, and to put right arsonists dont burn buildings fire does :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

The biggest loss here is home of blackdragon kickboxing club, although it and its fighters secured 3 world title fights that night 'fair play'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can we leave the speculation in the pub. ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Well i for one think it was done as an insurence scam but trust me i didnt do it, and to put right arsonists dont burn buildings fire does :pac:

That's a pretty libellous statment! Whether or not there's any truth in, there's no solid information to base that on. You're basically accusing six business people or their 'agents'! Careful now father! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

The owner of the Black Dragon actually posts here, he made a thread in the Martial Arts forum just clarifying his gym got burnt down.

Went down there earlier to have a look at the damage. There's a Guard stationed down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I feel sorry for the owners of the business' which have been burnt out, as well as those whose jobs may be in jeapordy as a result of the fire. I know a couple of the people affected, and they're all hard workers who've spent years building up their business'.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

hey you should be band for saying that about it being burnt for insurance scam, i know the owner very well , he would never ever do a thing like that to other people life,s work . dont think he be impressed when he will hear what is said about him.:mad::mad:im on about the westlink car sales,. or the other stores that was burnt.no one knows what caused the blaze yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

cats.life wrote: »
    hey you should be band for saying that about it being burnt for insurance scam,

Arcade fire?

mikom wrote: »
    Arcade fire?
    ya and you should be band for a very bad joke.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You keep settin' them up..... I'll keep knockin' them down.

mikom wrote: »
    You keep settin' them up..... I'll keep knockin' them down.
    very good , now go sit in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Banned, is the correct spelling. Im guessing that was the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

The fire's cause is obviously being investigated now, so they could know in a few days or it could be a few weeks. Are people seriously going to hang around this thread for possibly weeks debating what started it?

And in fairness you'd have to be fairly desperate to set fire to your own business knowing you could take down at least 5 others with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

hey you should be band for saying that about it being burnt for insurance scam, i know the owner very well , he would never ever do a thing like that to other people life,s work . dont think he be impressed when he will hear what is said about him.:mad::mad:im on about the westlink car sales,. or the other stores that was burnt.no one knows what caused the blaze yet.
    Jeez somebody left home without their sarcasm meter this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic pls

Advertisement