Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which team is the hardest to warm to?

• 12-03-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

Of the 'big six' teams (apologies to Villa fans, no apologies to Newcastle fans), which do you find the most difficult to like?

I'm a Spurs fan, but I don't mind Arsenal. I used to despise United until Chelski came along. Now I'm developing a right dislike for Citeh. Used to love Liverpool in the '80s, starting to like 'em again due to the Dalglish effect.

So which of these teams do you find the most irritating, grating, dislikable?

Which team do you find it hardest to warm to? 363 votes

Arsenal
    0% 0 votes
    Chelsea
    3% 12 votes
    Liverpool
    16% 61 votes
    Man United
    22% 81 votes
    Man City
    35% 130 votes
    Spurs
    21% 79 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Chelsea.

I haven't forgiven them for robbing us in the 1970 FA Cup Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

It's difficult because I have great respect for Fergie and some of United's stalwarts but the sheer amount of United fans I know who love a bit of Anti Arsenal banter can get to me. Probably Manchester City because of the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

City.
    Not even trying to hide the fact that they're attempting to buy the league and their reserves are called the Elite Development Squad. WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Dont support an EPL team so as a complete neutral i would say Liverpool by a distance. I find it very hard to warm to Man Utd when Wayne Rooney is playing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

utd without a doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

liverpool not just because im a united fan let me break it down.

1 man team in gerrard for years now, always rushing him back from injuries to play games etc.

terible to watch, honestly for years they have been one of the most boring teams in the premier league.

always someone else to blame i.e the owners,manager etc etc no its not lads ye are just sh*t end off ye have terrible players who are not good enough for your club end of.

the constant history lessons we get from anyone who follows pool or involved in the club. liverpool fc is the offical club of the history channel.

phil thompson, huge soccer Saturday fan he bugs the sh*t out of me he is a muppet.

when we (united) get our 19th title it will be all my xmas's come at once.

I was raised an Arsenal fan, love having Spurs as, "The enemy" but for sheer idiocy (elite development squad ffs) it has to be Man City. I absolutely abhor them. And they play absolutely loathsome football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It was a tough choice between Liverpool and Spurs...
    Picked Liverpool as Spurs are only on a roll till Harry sods of to manage En-ger-lund as which point I can get back to laughing at them again.
    Used to like Liverpool but both their conduct and their fans conduct after winning the CL in 2005 sickened me..
    They knew before the very first day of the CL that winning it didn't automatically get you in the following year. Upto winning it their attitude was we won't care about it as long as we win it.
    When they did win it it was "oh you can't have a CL without Liverpool being in it to defend their title" blah blah..plus the amount of pikey scumbags putting 5 stars on a visible part of their body to show off winning the CL 5 times.
    And even after getting their way back in ,they continued to bitch about not getting a MBE from the Queen as the lads in 1966 did...I mean for fúck's sake...you only won a football cup for christ's sake..not cured cancer :mad:
    Until you remember you support Newcastle who have the biggest díckhead ever managing a club with the most deluded fans :(
    Plus you get to watch Liverpool suffer a few years with the American lads running them :D after which it stops becoming a comedy and you actually begin to feel sorry for their fans and you hope they made it back.
    Plus now they have signed Carrol from us (who was pushed out) so I hope the chap does well.
    Actually fúck it...I want a "hate all-including your own" option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Picked Liverpool as Spurs are only on a roll till Harry sods of to manage En-ger-lund as which point I can get back to laughing at them again.
    Used to like Liverpool but both their conduct and their fans conduct after winning the CL in 2005 sickened me..
    They knew before the very first day of the CL that winning it didn't automatically get you in the following year. Upto winning it their attitude was we won't care about it as long as we win it.
    When they did win it it was "oh you can't have a CL without Liverpool being in it to defend their title" blah blah..plus the amount of pikey scumbags putting 5 stars on a visible part of their body to show off winning the CL 5 times.
    And even after getting their way back in ,they continued to bitch about not getting a MBE from the Queen as the lads in 1966 did...I mean for fúck's sake...you only won a football cup for christ's sake..not cured cancer :mad:
    Until you remember you support Newcastle who have the biggest díckhead ever managing a club with the most deluded fans :(
    Plus you get to watch Liverpool suffer a few years with the American lads running them :D after which it stops becoming a comedy and you actually begin to feel sorry for their fans and you hope they made it back.
    Plus now they have signed Carrol from us (who was pushed out) so I hope the chap does well.

:D LOL. Love you too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

United undoubtably but City too as they suddenly see themselves as a Big Club all of a sudden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

United-

but Liverpool play some of the worst football ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

This thread has aul one written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

baz2009 wrote: »
    City.
    Not even trying to hide the fact that they're attempting to buy the league and their reserves are called the Elite Development Squad. WTF?

I don't mind Manchester City.

They're a decent club and many of their supporters will have seen them play in the old third division. They've had some success and quite a lot of hard times and they've still always had decent crowds. Obviously they'll attract new fans now but isn't that why many people start supporting top 4 sides because they're successful?

People can say that they're buying the league and they'd hate to see their club go the way that they have, but supporters who could once only dream of seeing their side compete the way they are now have the chance to see it for real, and I doubt there would be many complaining if the sheiks had taken over their club.

Best of luck to them I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

lol @ "Big 6"

Is that how theyre being pushed nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Barcelona!!!!!!
    Without that option then it would be Man United. Then Man City. God I hate Man United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

it's city
    far and away
    best for the world if they don't make the top 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

as a united fan i chose the option if united because i know from experience we are probably the most dis-liked club,my own preference though is arsenal,i hate the smug look on wenger when he wins anything(not much lately:pac:)that and the fact he's trying to do a fergie and win trophies with "kids".

Oranage2 wrote: »
    United-

but Liverpool play some of the worst football ever seen

Judging by your posts, i'm guessing that Wenger is the only Arsenal manger you have ever known.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

United, mostly due to their smug fans, disrespectful manager and all round incredible jamminess.

It's actually disturbing the amount of fans who hate Barcelona. It's a bit ridiculous.

Unless you genuinely like Real Madrid or are a La Liga fan in general, the hatred toward that great side is extremely petty.

The only times i have ever had a problem with Barca was when they played Liverpool (and that usually worked out alright :) ) or when Busquests embarrassed football as a sport against Inter last season.

They are a great team, a great club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Man United without a doubt.

Don't support anyone myself but their fans annoy with with their attitude and the way they feel united should automatically win every match they play and every trophy they enter.
    Their sense of entitlement is something else...a good barren spell would sort out the glory hunters, maybe a decade or two.

What really gets me is hows many of their supporters believe that every player wants to play for them! They don't!!

Oh and 'Fergie' is a clown who acts like he is above the rules ;)

God I hope arsenal sneak the league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Eirebear wrote: »
    lol @ "Big 6"

Is that how theyre being pushed nowadays?

No, but I wanted to limit it to the teams that are prominent in the EPL at the minute.

Interesting how few dislike Arsenal and Spurs, surprised as well that Chelski haven't got more votes, what with Terry, Cole and Drogba playing for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol

People will hate sucess and so called smugness as they see it. The higher clubs and people climb the bigger the fall others want them to take. Its natural. So even though I'm a hardcore Manchester United fan with family and friends there I'm going to admit its probably Manchester United I'd go with as overall winners of this.

I won't select them though

I admire the people who have outlined other reasons (that could change over time) like style of play.

I've grown up disliking City. Mostly from my Dad as he lived there for years. The whole money thing and style of play doesnt help things but I'm sure if the owners stick around that will be rectified in time.

I have reasons for disliking Arsenal but I won't go into it again. Its peronal :).

I like Liverpool as a club. Some of the irish Liverpool fans can be annoying but sure thats all part of the banter!

Chelsea - meh

Spurs - dont mind them at all. There was a few lads from London that worked with us years ago. West Ham, Palace and Fulham fans...they all hated Spurs for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Trilla wrote: »
    l
    Spurs - dont mind them at all. There was a few lads from London that worked with us years ago. West Ham, Palace and Fulham fans...they all hated Spurs for some reason!

They seem to be despised by absolutely every other club in London. From asking supporters of those clubs they seem to all say it's because they're arrogant. Perhaps it would be necessary to live in the area to get a better grasp of it because I don't see it.

I like Spurs. They play some excellent football and the vast majority of Irish Spurs fans that I've spoken to both in person and on here are decent, knowledgeable lads. They've got to be admired for cracking the top 4 and doing so well in the Champions League this season IMO and they're an inspiration for teams looking to break into the upper reaches of the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

As a Forest fan, i have a natural dislike for Liverpool - not just old rivalry between the clubs and the fact they kept us out of Europe for 5 years, but also the fact that they gave us Phil Thompson (and his big mouth), the Anfield Rap and Jamie Redknapp.

Chelsea and Man City - everything that is bad about modern day football. Chelsea bought 3 titles and City are trying to follow suit. At least United, Arsenal, Spurs - and even Liverpool - have some homegrown talent. These two artificial entities have nothing. They are artificial bubbles and the sooner they collapse the better for football. I have no problem with either club, per se, more the way they conduct their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

united and pool being the most succesful its no surprise to see them out front and united being number 1 from dominating english football for the last 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

grenache wrote: »
    As a Forest fan, i have a natural dislike for Liverpool - not just old rivalry between the clubs and the fact they kept us out of Europe for 5 years, but also the fact that they gave us Phil Thompson (and his big mouth), the Anfield Rap and Jamie Redknapp.

Chelsea and Man City - everything that is bad about modern day football. Chelsea bought 3 titles and City are trying to follow suit. At least United, Arsenal, Spurs - and even Liverpool - have some homegrown talent. These two artificial entities have nothing. They are artificial bubbles and the sooner they collapse the better for football. I have no problem with either club, per se, more the way they conduct their business.

:rolleyes: Ah yes, that City academy has produced absolutely nothing over the past decade. Fucking clueless.

I used to like Spurs then Redknapp took over. Now have no time for them.

I have a respect for United given all they've achieved over the years. Fergie pulls teams and wins out of his arse and as annoying as it is he's done one hell of a job. Still nice to see them lose of course.

Really like Arsenal and don't mind Chelsea.

Liverpool fans as a collective annoy me so for the purposes of this I'll go for them with United a very close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Voted City but not much between them Utd and chelsea.
    Would like Spurs to win CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Chelsea because their owner's a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Would like Spurs to win CL

That's my boy :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Trilla wrote: »
    lol

People will hate sucess and so called smugness as they see it. The higher clubs and people climb the bigger the fall others want them to take. Its natural. So even though I'm a hardcore Manchester United fan with family and friends there I'm going to admit its probably Manchester United I'd go with as overall winners of this.

I won't select them though

I admire the people who have outlined other reasons (that could change over time) like style of play.

I've grown up disliking City. Mostly from my Dad as he lived there for years. The whole money thing and style of play doesnt help things but I'm sure if the owners stick around that will be rectified in time.

I have reasons for disliking Arsenal but I won't go into it again. Its peronal :).

I like Liverpool as a club. Some of the irish Liverpool fans can be annoying but sure thats all part of the banter!

Chelsea - meh

GLORY GLORY man utd :pac:

good post tho!
    tbh, i dunno what it is about spurs fans but in my life they have always been weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

What really gets me is hows many of their supporters believe that every player wants to play for them! They don't!!

This really annoys me. They seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that Modric will be joining them in the summer..:confused: For one, Barca have been after him, and there's is absolutely no way he'd choose Untied over them, and for another he's one of Tottenham's most loyal players, he won't be going anywhere.

I chose Man City though, for all the top players they have bought over the last 2 years they still play a shítty brand a football. I haven't got anything against them so-called buying the league, as let's face it, the majority of fans wouldn't be complaining if that happened to their own club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

THFC wrote: »
    This really annoys me. They seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that Modric will be joining them in the summer..:confused: For one, Barca have been after him, and there's is absolutely no way he'd choose Untied over them, and for another he's one of Tottenham's most loyal players, he won't be going anywhere.

He is actually one of the players I was thinking of, him and Bale.

United fans see them and are like we should buy them in the summer...there is no way they would stay at White Harte Lane if we put in a bid.

Problem no.1: United don't have the money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Hardest to warm to is a toss up between City and Chelsea but I'll go with Chelsea for 4 reasons - Terry, Drogba, A. Cole and Roman Abramovich.

This thread should be fun, just bought some popcorn.

Obviously united because of the rivalry between them and Liverpool.

I do find it funny the way people hate Man City all of a sudden and Chelsea before that just because they have rich owners etc :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

"Birr" Town rangers .. That's the coldest club in Ireland . :)

Otherwise United . There fans are just a different breed , like Dublin Northsiders ... Different !

mixednuts wrote: »
    "Birr" Town rangers .. That's the coldest club in Ireland . :)

You should start following "Tubbercurry" Albion - warmest club in Ireland :D

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's actually disturbing the amount of fans who hate Barcelona. It's a bit ridiculous.

Unless you genuinely like Real Madrid or are a La Liga fan in general, the hatred toward that great side is extremely petty.

The only times i have ever had a problem with Barca was when they played Liverpool (and that usually worked out alright :) ) or when Busquests embarrassed football as a sport against Inter last season.

It's called jealousy.

I'm envious of the way they way but totally admire it.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I do find it funny the way people hate Man City all of a sudden and Chelsea before that just because they have rich owners etc :o

I'd never begrudge a team for having a rich owner. I think with Chelsea and City its just how much the chairmen interfere. Like sacking managers when the success isn't instant. Hiring coaches and signing players without the manager even knowing doesn't help though. Their money has been good for the league but sometimes their involvement has been bad for football.

I'd never begrudge a team for having a rich owner. I think with Chelsea and City its just how much the chairmen interfere. Like sacking managers when the success isn't instant. Hiring coaches and signing players without the manager even knowing doesn't help though. Their money has been good for the league but sometimes their involvement has been bad for football.

Has the Man City chairman signed players without Mancini's consent?

Has Chelsea's ? Shevchenko supposedly under Mourinhio but any since?

Any links btw?

• Advertisement

Has the Man City chairman signed players without Mancini's consent?

Has Chelsea's ? Shevchenko supposedly under Mourinhio but any since?

Any links btw?

Sorry I'm on my phone so can't put up links but I was talking about Robinho for City and I thought(open to correction) that Jarosik, Torres and Ballack were Abramovich signings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

monkey9 wrote: »

As a Chelsea fan I'd consider them to be our biggest rivals. All the other big teams in the Premiership have established rivalries with other clubs and there's nobody in the Premiership we really have. Fulham? useless.

Man Utd have city and pool, Spurs have Arsenal, We have nobody and our matches are normally really good and they've always had a great narrative

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Bubs101 wrote: »
    As a Chelsea fan I'd consider them to be our biggest rivals. All the other big teams in the Premiership have established rivalries with other clubs and there's nobody in the Premiership we really have. Fulham? useless.

Man Utd have city and pool, Spurs have Arsenal, We have nobody and our matches are normally really good and they've always had a great narrative

Sorry but thats ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I wouldn't share half as much animosity to City as Chelsea,and I'm a Utd fan(obviously not from Manchester then it'd be a different story).

But Abramovich is essentially a corrupt ex-politician that has built a business around bribes and intimidation,he's a nasty man imo,I don't like him and I don't like Chelsea because of him.I was hoping Pool would mount a late challenge to beat them to the Champions league but maybe Spurs can still get it hopefully.

As for rich owners,I'm not that bothered if the people in power have come to earn their fortune in an honest or fair manner.The irony of being a Utd fan:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Melion wrote: »
    Sorry but thats ridiculous.

It's not really though. They have had some epic games down the years and - I'm open to correction here - I think last season was the first time in five or six years they hadn't played each other. I think if one team Barcelona fear, or at least have massive respect for, it's Chelsea. I really hope they meet again before the final, so we'll have another two legged epic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

THFC wrote: »
    It's not really though. They have had some epic games down the years and - I'm open to correction here - I think last season was the first time in five or six years they hadn't played each other. I think if one team Barcelona fear, or at least have massive respect for, it's Chelsea. I really hope they meet again before the final, so we'll have another two legged epic.

How many times have they played Liverpool since 2004/5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Of the world's mega teams: Barcelona and Manchester City.

The former because of the fawning shit that surrounds them and their pious view of themselves as something akin to a football force for the power of good and the tantrums when lesser teams actually try and close them down instead of shipping 12 goals for Barca's audience of TV sycophants.

The latter because they and their fans ditched decades of bullshit about having "soul" versus corporate United in about 2 seconds when human rights abusers and tycoon flashed a bit of knicker at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

bradlente wrote: »
    I wouldn't share half as much animosity to City as Chelsea,and I'm a Utd fan(obviously not from Manchester then it'd be a different story).

But Abramovich is essentially a corrupt ex-politician that has built a business around bribes and intimidation,he's a nasty man imo,I don't like him and I don't like Chelsea because of him.I was hoping Pool would mount a late challenge to beat them to the Champions league but maybe Spurs can still get it hopefully.

As for rich owners,I'm not that bothered if the people in power have come to earn their fortune in an honest or fair manner.The irony of being a Utd fan:(

I have to Laugh at this..I think you watch too many Gangster Movies & I'm guessing your a big fan of the Daily Mail!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Sc@recrow wrote: »

Nice to see Everton are thought of as such a nice bunch of chaps here.. :):D:D

I dislike any plastic team built up with plastic fans and vast amounts of plastic money.

That is all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

stovelid wrote: »
    Of the world's mega teams: Barcelona and Manchester City.

The former because of the fawning shit that surrounds them and their pious view of themselves as something akin to a football force for the power of good and the tantrums when lesser teams actually try and close them down instead of shipping 12 goals for Barca's audience of TV sycophants.

The latter because they and their fans ditched decades of bullshit about having "soul" versus corporate United in about 2 seconds when human rights abusers and tycoon flashed a bit of knicker at them.

Man City a mega team, spare me pleassssssssssse

They have still won diddly squat. They will spend another 800million this summmer to try and win the league in 2011/2012 but it gets a bit tedious, probably will get a new boss while they are at it.

Man United are still the daddys, even if they have limited cash reserves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement