Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which team is the hardest to warm to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Chelsea because of Abramovich and their success garnered from his oil money. City for the same reasons although they haven't won anything yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

superfrank wrote: »
    I have to Laugh at this..I think you watch too many Gangster Movies & I'm guessing your a big fan of the Daily Mail!!

I watched the Ladykillers last night,not the grittiest I have to say.
    I can't recall ever buying the Daily Mail tbh.
    Whats funny about my post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Chelsea fans find Barcelona are their biggest rivals? The feeling isn't mutual. That's kinda sad tbh, I mean, Chelsea are a great side, but realistically it's just another big match in the grand scheme of things. No real history there, Real/ Espanyol/ Athletic/ Valencia/ Atletico would all be bigger ties for me and most Barca fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

stovelid wrote: »
    Of the world's mega teams: Barcelona and Manchester City.

The former because of the fawning shit that surrounds them and their pious view of themselves as something akin to a football force for the power of good and the tantrums when lesser teams actually try and close them down instead of shipping 12 goals for Barca's audience of TV sycophants.

The latter because they and their fans ditched decades of bullshit about having "soul" versus corporate United in about 2 seconds when human rights abusers and tycoon flashed a bit of knicker at them.

What were we meant to do,tell the sheikhs we dont want their money or we'll stop supporting them?

Its not a fans fault that the club they support gets bought by whoever decides to buy it.As someone said earlier,most of todays City fans were City fans when we were down in the second division,why cant we have a change of fortunes?

Newcastle linked with a takeover from an Indian tycoon today.

Maybe add them to the list ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

W-ham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Delighted to be winning this. Get in. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Arsenal for me, even though they do play lovely football. I just hate Wenger, biggest whinger I've ever seen. And also half the team is French!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Gillington wrote: »
    What were we meant to do,tell the sheikhs we dont want their money or we'll stop supporting them?

Its not a fans fault that the club they support gets bought by whoever decides to buy it.As someone said earlier,most of todays City fans were City fans when we were down in the second division,why cant we have a change of fortunes?

That was the one thing I said when the "few bob" arrived at City, that I wasn't looking forward to City being as disliked as United!!!
    Judging by the poll, thankfully that hasn't happened yet....:D

To be honest though, as a City fan I'm gradually getting used to it and rarely let it bother me as a fan anymore:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Oranage2 wrote: »
    United-

but Liverpool play some of the worst football ever seen

Signed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

That was the one thing I said when the "few bob" arrived at City, that I wasn't looking forward to City being as disliked as United!!!
    Judging by the poll, thankfully that hasn't happened yet....:D

TBH, i think you need to start winning trophies before people dislike you in the way they dislike Utd.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Eirebear wrote: »
    TBH, i think you need to start winning trophies before people dislike you in the way they dislike Utd.....;)

That's quite true now. Some people say, you can't buy success in football ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Arsenal:

Yes, they can play great football, but also they have increasingly become the 'poor me' brigade with every season, and Wenger fails to address their increasingly poor disciplinary record.

Shame, because his teams of the late 90s/early 00s were very special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Liverpool as they generally seem to have a higher percentage of supporters in this country who are chavs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

flahavaj wrote: »
    Delighted to be winning this. Get in. :pac:

Result was never in doubt tbh, with success brings jealousy ;)

That and the plague of Liverpool fans on the forum :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Man United for me.

Actually used really admire them many years ago with Lou Macari, Stevie Coppell, Jimmy Greenhoff, Martin Buchan and others. They were super.

Changed feelings now.
    Cannot like Paul Scholes. He's a nasty player. Ferdinand and the drug test. Rooney and the Missus. And the Manager who drives you nuts as he moans too much. I could go on.

Sorry United fans.
    I just cannot take to your team at all these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Really surprised Chelsea aren't doing better in this tbh, with the likes of Ashley Cole, Drogba, Terry, Lampard, Essien and Benayoun amongst their ranks they really should be walking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Used to hate Leeds for some reason.And the obvious United.A lot of English teams actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

City and then Chelsea.

City for the rich owners thing and Chelsea, same reason really.

Don't mind United even if they are the biggest rivals, I enjoy the slagging between the good fans of both clubs, the other stuff is just the usual morons, both Liverpool and United have them, unfortunately.

Losing to Arsenal on my birthday in 89 was bad but we've beaten them a few times since in Cup finals and the CL, so forgiven!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

K-9 wrote: »
    City and then Chelsea.

City for the rich owners thing and Chelsea, same reason really.

Don't mind United even if they are the biggest rivals, I enjoy the slagging between the good fans of both clubs, the other stuff is just the usual morons, both Liverpool and United have them, unfortunately.

Losing to Arsenal on my birthday in 89 was bad but we've beaten them a few times since in Cup finals and the CL, so forgiven!

Exaclty the same here, sure pool and their fans annoy me but there are more annoying teams. Like W ham, i'd say leeds to but their not in the same league yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Could never warm to Leeds either, Everton are good to laugh at. Sunderland seem to have good few odd fans, seem to think they are bigger than they really are.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Hate United the most as I'm a Liverpool fan.

But objectively speaking it has to be Chelsea as they have the highest quantity of hateable players.

Terry, Cole and Drogba are all right there as the most dislikeable players in football for various reasons. Mourinho was very dislikeable as well when he was there, although more in the 'man you love to hate' role.

EDIT: Also Torres now, for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

I tend to dislike teams who play rubbish defensive long ball football, so im always going to dislike any team managed by tony pulis, sam allardyce, gary megson,houllier

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Has to be Chelsea.

A team with players like Terry, Lampard, Cole and Drogba as well as the perceived right of Chelsea to simply walk to every trophy nowadays because of Ambromovich makes them very easy to hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Why all the Lampard hate?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Why all the Lampard hate?

Yeah as much as I dislike Chelsea, I see no real reason to dislike Lampard.

He's certainly nowhere near some of his team-mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's actually disturbing the amount of fans who hate Barcelona. It's a bit ridiculous.

Unless you genuinely like Real Madrid or are a La Liga fan in general, the hatred toward that great side is extremely petty.

The only times i have ever had a problem with Barca was when they played Liverpool (and that usually worked out alright :) ) or when Busquests embarrassed football as a sport against Inter last season.

They are a great team, a great club.
    People dislike them because of the way they play football.

They are hailed as the "greatest footballing team" ever.

But underneath the silky smooth passes, and great play, they are petulant to the extreme, dirty tackling, diving, cheating bunch of pansies.

That's why I dislike them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    But underneath the silky smooth passes, and great play, they are petulant to the extreme, dirty tackling, diving, cheating bunch of pansies.

So pretty much like every successful team in the current era? It seems like because Barca are the best team of this era and play the best football that they are somehow also expected to play to the corinthian principles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

bonerm wrote: »
    Liverpool as they generally seem to have a higher percentage of supporters in this country who are chavs.

I'm a Liverpool fan and i'd have to agree with you here, i wouldn't exactly class them as fans though just clowns that wear the gear as a fashion statement. Like walking around in the same Liverpool tracksuit for 5 days in a row makes you an uber fan. The type of clowns who wouldn't be able to hold a 5 minute conversation with you about the club or would barely know half of the surrent squad, the type of clowns who's most insightful comment about the club would be "Lucas is shyte".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

curry-muff wrote: »
    Really surprised Chelsea aren't doing better in this tbh, with the likes of Ashley Cole, Drogba, Terry, Lampard, Essien and Benayoun amongst their ranks they really should be walking this.

I can understand the others but why Benayoun?

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »
    So pretty much like every successful team in the current era? It seems like because Barca are the best team of this era and play the best football that they are somehow also expected to play to the corinthian principles.
    Did you watch the two legs against Arsenal?

They are worse than most other teams for the play acting and bollocks acting, Busquets should be shot.

Melion wrote: »
    I can understand the others but why Benayoun?
    Hated by some Liverpool fans for the way he left, and I think he made some comments about them after he left, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

People dislike them because of the way they play football.

They are hailed as the "greatest footballing team" ever.

That's why I dislike them anyway.

The real reason.

Guardiola+1+-+FC+Barcelona+vs+Manchester+United+Champions+League+Pics.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

United,for sheer smugness and sense of entitlement.

Don't really have a problem with any of the others,Arsenal get on my nerves sometimes,although thats mainly because of my irritating indoor scarf wearing Arsenal supporting mate who dismisses every player who's over 5'7 and can actually take a tackle and finish!

Glad to see Spurs and City shaking things up a bit too.

Just a note on this 'Top 6' thing...

I think it's fair to say that the Top 4 is now a thing of the past. I was thinking this a few weeks ago, that due to squad strength,purchasing power and the ability to attract top class players, I would imagine that it will be these teams that make up the top 6 this year, next year and potentially for a sustained period after.

Thoughts on this? Do any other teams have the potential to penetrate the top 6, and if not will the term 'Top 6' start to come into common football usage as top 4 did?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Hated by some Liverpool fans for the way he left, and I think he made some comments about them after he left, IIRC.

Im a Liverpool fan and certainly dont hate Yossi. He sang YNWA as his first act as a Chelsea player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Have yet to hear a Liverpool fan say a bad word about Yossi leaving.

No he isn't.

Far from it infact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

curry-muff wrote: »

What have Lampard , Essien and Benayoun done that you would have them on the football twats podium ???

The other 3 no arguements could be made for ,

I went for spurs cause Harry does my head in .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

Arsenal.

every supporter has a right to like their team but some Arsenal fans usually are the most delusional i know. They apparently play the best football, have the best fans, most financially stable, a young team ready to win a quadruple and hated by referees around the world.
    As a Chelsea fan i understand the resentment towards united but they are hated mostly because they win a lot. same with Chelsea: You do not become champions without being resented .
    The reason Arsenal fans are resented (and their club) is because of their Arrogance (for example Arsenal requesting for fabregas to lift the Carling cup before the final).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Serious lack of Wigan in this poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    The real reason.

Guardiola+1+-+FC+Barcelona+vs+Manchester+United+Champions+League+Pics.jpg

because there succesful, my reason is mainly everyone jumping on the bandwagon, ye they are a good team but they are in a league in la liga thats nearly as bad as the spl.

if barca were in the premier league i think they would struggle against the more physical teams like stoke,blackburn,bolton etc especcially away from home on a cold winters day in england why because you see them against chelsea yes they beat them the last time but it was a fluke.

barca ripped arsenal apart yes but thats arsenal who are over-acheiving in the premier league this year, united ripped arsenal apart in the champions league aswell as the fa cup with a 3rd string defence as there midfeild!!

dont judge barca by beatin arsenal, arsenal are as inconsistence as they come. united,chelsea and even liverpool in how they play would be capable of beating barca no problem.

and the added advantage of a break in spanish football helps them a lot against english teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

As much as it hurts to say it, Barca would more than likely rip United a new one currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

baz2009 wrote: »
    As much as it hurts to say it, Barca would more than likely rip United a new one currently.

There's no more than likely about it. It'd be embarrassing.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

because there succesful, my reason is mainly everyone jumping on the bandwagon, ye they are a good team but they are in a league in la liga thats nearly as bad as the spl.

if barca were in the premier league i think they would struggle against the more physical teams like stoke,blackburn,bolton etc especcially away from home on a cold winters day in england why because you see them against chelsea yes they beat them the last time but it was a fluke.

barca ripped arsenal apart yes but thats arsenal who are over-acheiving in the premier league this year, united ripped arsenal apart in the champions league aswell as the fa cup with a 3rd string defence as there midfeild!!

dont judge barca by beatin arsenal, arsenal are as inconsistence as they come. united,chelsea and even liverpool in how they play would be capable of beating barca no problem.

and the added advantage of a break in spanish football helps them a lot against english teams.
    wenger-facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Morzadec wrote: »
    Just a note on this 'Top 6' thing...

I think it's fair to say that the Top 4 is now a thing of the past. I was thinking this a few weeks ago, that due to squad strength,purchasing power and the ability to attract top class players, I would imagine that it will be these teams that make up the top 6 this year, next year and potentially for a sustained period after.

Thoughts on this? Do any other teams have the potential to penetrate the top 6, and if not will the term 'Top 6' start to come into common football usage as top 4 did?

I'd say only Villa or Everton (with a bit more cash) could dream of consistent top 6 finishes outside of here. Bolton, Newcastle, Sunderland and a few others could have the odd top 6 placement, but not consistently.

It's certainly better than a top 4 ad nauseum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

markesmith wrote: »
    I'd say only Villa or Everton (with a bit more cash) could dream of consistent top 6 finishes outside of here. Bolton, Newcastle, Sunderland and a few others could have the odd top 6 placement, but not consistently.

It's certainly better than a top 4 ad nauseum!

Everton would piss into the top four/6 whatever its called if we could afford anyone...:pac:

If a tycoon (who doesnt understand football or the rules most lilely) lended us 20 billion and then f**ed back to where he came from i would be delighted..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Newcastle have the potential to be more than top 6 only problem would be some reluctance of players to go so far north. But they have the fan base to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

toss up between pool and utd because SOME of there fans are really arrogant and genuinely cant see that other football clubs exist and there respective clubs are not the centre of the footballing universe. hhhmmm I went with liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    Serious lack of Wigan in this poll.

Hey now, their fan won't be happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement