Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which team is the hardest to warm to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle have the potential to be more than top 6 only problem would be some reluctance of players to go so far north. But they have the fan base to do it.

We've a good team spirit but I don't see us breaking into the top 6 anytime soon. Not with Ashley at the helm anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    We've a good team spirit but I don't see us breaking into the top 6 anytime soon. Not with Ashley at the helm anyways.

The top 6 for the next few years are set in stone IMO:

Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City, Tottenham and Liverpool. Also, team like Villa and Everton won't have as poor season as they've had this year for quite some time and they'll definitely be challenging strongly again next season.

I really think this was the year for someone to break into it if it was going to happen. I know there's still 10 games left but I can't see anyone like us, Newcastle, Bolton etc breaking into it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

For me its United, just have never like them.
    Maybe im just jealous of all their success, who knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

because there succesful, my reason is mainly everyone jumping on the bandwagon, ye they are a good team but they are in a league in la liga thats nearly as bad as the spl.

if barca were in the premier league i think they would struggle against the more physical teams like stoke,blackburn,bolton etc especcially away from home on a cold winters day in england why because you see them against chelsea yes they beat them the last time but it was a fluke.

barca ripped arsenal apart yes but thats arsenal who are over-acheiving in the premier league this year, united ripped arsenal apart in the champions league aswell as the fa cup with a 3rd string defence as there midfeild!!

dont judge barca by beatin arsenal, arsenal are as inconsistence as they come. united,chelsea and even liverpool in how they play would be capable of beating barca no problem.

and the added advantage of a break in spanish football helps them a lot against english teams.

Andy, you realise you don't have to tow the line for Sky Sports anymore don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Andy, you realise you don't have to tow the line for Sky Sports anymore don't you?

Ach, you bit!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

West Ham..

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Also hate the likes of Wigan and Middlesbrough who can't fill their stadiums even when they're in the premiership(when Middlesbrough were).And you know right well if they made a cup final they'd sell out their allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Has to be United, their fans think football began after the backpass rule was abolished.Gloryhunters who will all support the next big thing when times are barren..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

bonerm wrote: »
    Liverpool as they generally seem to have a higher percentage of supporters in this country who are chavs.

I'm amazed it took that long into this thread for that to be said.
    I'm a Liverpool fan and i'd have to agree with you here, i wouldn't exactly class them as fans though just clowns that wear the gear as a fashion statement. Like walking around in the same Liverpool tracksuit for 5 days in a row makes you an uber fan. The type of clowns who wouldn't be able to hold a 5 minute conversation with you about the club or would barely know half of the surrent squad, the type of clowns who's most insightful comment about the club would be "Lucas is shyte".

These same fans would be all too happy to make a remark any time a good result is achieved. But i agree, i see it constantly round where i'm from, a liverpool trackie seemed to be the status symbol that you were "fúcking hard like" round town and all the scumbags went around wearing one.
    Having talked to a number of them, they generally are clueless yeah, i noticed the number of the dodgy lads in liverpool trackies going down last year, and when i asked a lad i knew why he wasnt wearing all his liverpool gear anymore he just said "sure look at the fúcking state of us now, we're pure shíte"

City are a right irritating shower and they're blatantly trying to buy the league... but i don't have to put up with their fans much, theres a lot less of them than utd/liverpool/arsenal. When that mouthy twat Liam Gallagher (oasis were great though fwiw) is one of the main voices of their fans it says it all. Kinda similar deal with Chelsea. That and Abramovic is not only a crook but a murderer.

Arsenal fans are generally a grand bunch who know their football well. Got to be a pretty cynical lot the last few years though!

So yeah, my vote would be pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

because there succesful, my reason is mainly everyone jumping on the bandwagon, ye they are a good team but they are in a league in la liga thats nearly as bad as the spl.

if barca were in the premier league i think they would struggle against the more physical teams like stoke,blackburn,bolton etc especcially away from home on a cold winters day in england why because you see them against chelsea yes they beat them the last time but it was a fluke.

barca ripped arsenal apart yes but thats arsenal who are over-acheiving in the premier league this year, united ripped arsenal apart in the champions league aswell as the fa cup with a 3rd string defence as there midfeild!!

dont judge barca by beatin arsenal, arsenal are as inconsistence as they come. united,chelsea and even liverpool in how they play would be capable of beating barca no problem.

and the added advantage of a break in spanish football helps them a lot against english teams.

You do realise large parts of Spain are seriously cold in winter? A cold winter's night in Pamplona against Osasuna is just as intimidating and uncomfortable as one in Stoke or Blackburn.

United, Chelsea and Liverpool may be capable of beating Barca (with United's current midfield I highly doubt it but anyway...) but Barca would be more than capable of beating the three of them on a regular basis and over a season would outdo them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

d22ontour wrote: »
    Has to be United, their fans think football began after the backpass rule was abolished.Gloryhunters who will all support the next big thing when times are barren..

I love this holier than thou attitude Liverpool fans get just because they haven't been as successful as us, I know numerous people that back in school supported Liverpool and conveniently switched to Chelsea and Arsenal. Of course successful clubs are going to have people supporting them for that reason, growing up watching United play good football and winning leagues were probably the reason I supported them too, along with some influence from my father and some childhood hatred for my brother who was a Liverpool fan.

You seem to think age makes you a better supporter, you are sadly mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

d22ontour wrote: »

This is a really stupid comment.Very few fans around the world have little allegiance to a team by geography,so yeah a lot of fans when growing up will follow a team that has great players and play great football.As well as that someone might support a team because a family member before them has.For me it was a combination of both and in my first full season of following Man Utd they didn't win anything!As a kid I could have switched support then and there but didn't.
    When I was growing up no-one I knew supported Arsenal,yet now I notice there are quite a few fans a few years younger than me that do.Their success in the late 90's early 00's definitely contributed to them young lads supporting Arse imho.
    There are plenty of Pool fans going around because of their success in the 70's and 80's.Family members passing down support,locality and a club's brand of football make a supporter.

Or did you start supporting your team for their nice jersey?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

bradlente wrote: »
    Very few fans around the world have little allegiance to a team by geography

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

stovelid wrote: »
    :confused:
    Worded a bit confusing maybe.

Most people aren't from or live near the area of the team they support.There ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I dislike any team that wins trophies while we don't, so United have always held a "special" place for me. Massive respect for Ferguson and all he's done at the club, but it's also why I dislike them more than any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

"which team is hardest to warm to ??

Is that like polite for " which team do you fooking despise ? "

If it is then UTD ... Can't stand em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Man United take some beating in my opinion but they're just about more likable (and that's a very loose word in this instance..) than Tottenham fans. Horrible, arrogant bunch of supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

spiralism wrote: »

City are a right irritating shower and they're blatantly trying to buy the league... but i don't have to put up with their fans much, theres a lot less of them than utd/liverpool/arsenal. When that mouthy twat Liam Gallagher (oasis were great though fwiw) is one of the main voices of their fans it says it all. Kinda similar deal with Chelsea.

Do you mind if I ask Spiralism what it is about the City fans that your happy you don't have to put up with??
    Genuinely interested cos' from reading our thread in here and the fans I know personally we don't act as we are gonna win the league (far from it in fact), if anything we this season and last await our inevitable annual meltdown in the last few weeks of the season....
    Jeez, the majority of us would be delighted with a 4th place finish!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

To be fair out of all of the above clubs mentioned City fans have always been the most welcoming and decent bunch whenever we've gone away to them. I've a lot more respect for them than the other five if I'm honest. Hopefully that won't change over the next couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

For me it was always Liverpool.

Mainly based of the fans and the dissillusion that with a mediocre team they wshould be winning things.

The two CL finals were a massive shock imo for a team with limited ability which has been mildly addressed in recent times.

I wasnt born or watching football during their peak in the English game, so I never understood this cemented " we are a top team". As I got older and read back hte history books I started to understand a little bit better as to who and what liverpool are but still dont agree they are anywhere near title contenders.

They were also a horrible team to watch and I'd dread watching liverpool games with the misses.

However lately they seem to be playing a much better style of ball and they were tremendous against United. Next season might bear some fruits for them in terms of progression alright.

I always had a like for City, but when thye got the big bucks obviously the overinflated ambition caused a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

For all the money they spent I still dont see a title challenging team, they have a manager with imo very poor man management skills and the way the club operate in the media and conduct themselves is very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Do you mind if I ask Spiralism what it is about the City fans that your happy you don't have to put up with??
    Genuinely interested cos' from reading our thread in here and the fans I know personally we don't act as we are gonna win the league (far from it in fact), if anything we this season and last await our inevitable annual meltdown in the last few weeks of the season....
    Jeez, the majority of us would be delighted with a 4th place finish!!:)

I've only really seen it in manchester (i don't know any city fans personally) but kind of the whole giddiness emanating from the club from the highest level (garry cook) down since their windfall and their desperation to wind utd up over anything else, with the whole "welcome to manchester" thing an example of that. That and the likes of fans who got kaka and european champions 2011 tattoos a couple of years back and rooney jerseys last october. Probably the same fans who whined that they were the real team in manchester while utd were merely a corporation built on signing players before the sugar daddy owners came along. The whole "everyone in manchester supports city" myth they propagated is rather irritating too.

But i'm a utd fan, so i'm meant to hate them at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

So 87 out of 260 people here dislike Man Utd the ABU fan club stands at around 33% down from around the 50% of 10 years ago! I would imagine City or Chelsea would not have been anywhere near their mark 10 years ago, mind you they were hardly top 6 (Chelsea scrapped 6th and City were relegated).

I'd probably have voted Arsenal then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I must say its hard to warm to City or Chelsea but overall its got to be Spurs. I mean Spurs. Ugh, what sort of person supports a club like that. I've never met a Spurs fan who I'd feel safe around my cats or dog.

I must say its hard to warm to City or Chelsea but overall its got to be Spurs. I mean Spurs. Ugh, what sort of person supports a club like that. I've never met a Spurs fan who I'd feel safe around my cats or dog.

lol :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

arsenal=a boring version of barcelona...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

patmac wrote: »
    So 87 out of 260 people here dislike Man Utd the ABU fan club stands at around 33% down from around the 50% of 10 years ago! I would imagine City or Chelsea would not have been anywhere near their mark 10 years ago, mind you they were hardly top 6 (Chelsea scrapped 6th and City were relegated).

But how many of the 173 who didn't put Man U are Man U supporters. The vast majority I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Liverpool for me but damn if I don't love that rivalry. I love the great banter you get from it from back in school, swapping stickers and pool fans holding you for ransom for a united sticker you need and they'd look for 3 or 4 swaps for it, to your mates/work colleagues/neighbours who are pool fans that take as much joy in United losing as I do Liverpool and after they play each other rub it in their faces if Utd win and they do like wise if Liverpool do. They're the team I i love to hate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

again its jealousy of united being so succesful and being arguably the biggest club in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

again its jealousy of united being so succesful and being arguably the biggest club in the world.

And ya wonder how ye'd top this particular poll!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Gotta be the pool , 'a team and its supporters still living in the 80s'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Man United *shudders*

by a country mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

BERBA wrote: »

If I remember correctly we won 3 fa cups, 3 League cups, 1 Uefa Cup, 1 European Cup and 2 European Super Cups since 1990. Not bad for a team living in the 80's.

I bet Spurs would love that kind of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

TheTosh wrote: »
    I love the great banter you get from it from back in school, swapping stickers and pool fans holding you for ransom for a united sticker you need and they'd look for 3 or 4 swaps for it,

I remember swapping a Ryan Giggs and a Mark Hughes for a Rob Jones, fcuking desperation, although in fairness Liverpool have probably been guilty of worse transfer dealings then that in the past

Im a Liverpool fan, but voted Chelsea as oppose to Utd because as much as I dislike Utd, I do have a begrudging respect for them, in that while they'v spent big, they have done so on the back of commercial success achieved through success on the pitch, that coupled with the stability and winning mentality that they have is something I would love to see replicated at Liverpool

Wrt Chelsea, I can think of nothing that I admire or respect about the club. From the fact that they always seem to have the most irratating, unlikeable players (Terry, Cole, Robben, Drogba) to the plastic flags, plastic atmosphere, Torres banner (speaks volumes), the managerial merry go round, Ken Bates to Roman Abramovich, Peter Kenyon and blatent tapping up that they seem to believe is ok because they're rich, to the wife robbing gun yielding changing room banter (That I believe Torres was praising last week), I just cant see anything admirable or likeable about the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Chelsea. Nothing good about their club at all. Horrible fans,players and owner. Can't wait for the day the Russian pulls out of the club and they are left in tatters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

BERBA wrote: »
    Funny that i seem to remember a certain match in Istanbul that was'nt in the 80's. Carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Go wan just 4 away from 100

I voted for utd, the bastards are always winning, you think they would get some sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Headshot wrote: »
    Go wan just 4 away from 100

I voted for utd, the bastards are always winning, you think they would get some sense

Ferguson will be gone soon and he's the only thing holding that club together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the utd. fans voted for themselves to further the notion of the "ABU" a tag they like to use to make them feel all special.

My choice would be Spurs or Chelsea, Chelsea for obvious reasons. Spurs because they have that cockney arrogance about them, arrogance is fair enough if you're winning things, also Tim Sherwood is involved with them who kind of embodies that arrogance. I will say though the spurs fans i know never went missing when they were a pretty average side so i wouldn't begrudge them the run they're on at the moment.

Arsenal have pissed me off lately too, a team ive always liked as they're my granddas side but they seem to go nowhere year after year maybe thats down to the money men though.

City... Pah i'd have to bring myself to respect them first before talking about warming to them.

Liverpool(my team) as ive said in this thread already, a lot of fair weather fans over this side of the pond who are an embarrasment. I'd have more time for a utd fan who knows their stuff than any blow in pool supporter.

So basically i hate everyone but especially...... Tim Sherwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

In the PL City because of their whole we are a big club because we can afford players who didnt even know city existed a few years ago

outside of the pl

barca because of this
    sprinklers.jpg
    dfgh.jpg
    and this scumbag of a player
    alves.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Imagine how many votes liverpool and city would get if they were successful, they are scoring high and jealousy of their success isn't even a factor:eek:.

For me its liverpool by a mile. Everything about them. :mad:

back on the barcelona topic for a minute.

they are beatable, inter milan proved it last year, chelsea also proved it and so did united.

arsenal are a soft overacheiving team at the moment, they made barca look good because they had too much respect for them with the exception of wilshire who looks a great player a young paul scholes comes to mind.

as i said la liga is nearly as bad as the spl so dont jump the gun when you see barca destroying ordinary to bad teams in it, barca cant handle physical teams like a chelsea end of.

also like to say united lost ronaldo and tevez which is the same as barca losing messi and inesta and united are still fighting on all fronts year in and year out we are just simply a machine that cant be stopped roll on our 19th title, we dont rely on players we are a not a 1 man club like liverpool who rely on gerrard, arsenal fabergas, madrid ronaldo, barca messi etc etc.

here's a reminder of what united did in the semi's to barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

wilshere and scholes dont seem to be anything alike :confused:

wilshere seems like a roy keane type

Imagine how many votes liverpool and city would get if they were successful

It's more a reflection on the people who vote for them really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Go wan the 100

proud day cryinganime.gif

they are beatable, inter milan proved it last year, chelsea also proved it and so did united.

arsenal are a soft overacheiving team at the moment, they made barca look good because they had too much respect for them with the exception of wilshire who looks a great player a young paul scholes comes to mind.

as i said la liga is nearly as bad as the spl so dont jump the gun when you see barca destroying ordinary to bad teams in it, barca cant handle physical teams like a chelsea end of.

also like to say united lost ronaldo and tevez which is the same as barca losing messi and inesta and united are still fighting on all fronts year in and year out we are just simply a machine that cant be stopped roll on our 19th title, we dont rely on players we are a not a 1 man club like liverpool who rely on gerrard, arsenal fabergas, madrid ronaldo, barca messi etc etc.

United are the over achievers not Arsenal.

United are relying on their back line to drag them over the line as Rooney has lost interest in the club.

United have been dismal away from home this season and if Arsenal didn't have silly slips ups at home against West Brom, Newcastle and Tottenham they would be well clear of the worst united side in years.

Although to be fair to Arsenal they have been unlucky their best defender has been missing all season and their best midfielder for a long time too.

I think if United were missing Vidic and Nani for most of the season they would struggle.

double post

partyndbs wrote: »
    wilshere and scholes dont seem to be anything alike :confused:

wilshere seems like a roy keane type

go watch him again he is nothing like roy keane, you didnt see roy keane splitting defences open with passes, he done the simple things and was great at it never gave the ball away, thats why his partnership with scholes worked so well.

scholes in his earlier days is exactly like wilshire, keane played nothing like him just because they both were box to box players doesnt mean he was like keane.
    United are the over achievers not Arsenal.

United are relying on their back line to drag them over the line as Rooney has lost interest in the club.

United have been dismal away from home this season and if Arsenal didn't have silly slips ups at home against West Brom, Newcastle and Tottenham they would be well clear of the worst united side in years.

Although to be fair to Arsenal they have been unlucky their best defender has been missing all season and their best midfielder for a long time too.

I think if United were missing Vidic and Nani for most of the season they would struggle.
    Yesterday 23:55

sure they are:rolleyes:, its bread into them players not to give up. we are building again just like when roy keane left people said united were finished what do we do come back to rule again, this is whats happening and we still are winning trophies unlike a lot of teams i could mention.

we barely lost the league last year and we lost the best player in the world at the time in ronaldo and we lost tevez when fabergas goes ye will truly be finished and are odds on to win it this year. do you honestly think arsenal are better than united please we beat you on sat with a 3rd string defence as our midfeild and ye had a full team ye are a pathetic group of players barcalona wanna be's who have no killer touch or trophies in the last few years:D

rooney will come back into it dont you worry, we have valencia back now and he will supply the ammo for waza to get back to his best.

dont talk about injuries as we were missing rio pretty much all season and valencia and oshea etc etc and last year we were without rio and vidic together for the whole season and barely lost the league we had fletcher and carrick as centre backs remember.

dont give the injury excuses they dont cut it as united suffered more than arsenal, year after year arsenal fail and crumble as its men vs boys.

il talk more with you when ye start winnin trophies otherwise back the hell up essay:D joke

go watch him again he is nothing like roy keane, you didnt see roy keane splitting defences open with passes, he done the simple things and was great at it never gave the ball away, thats why his partnership with scholes worked so well.

scholes in his earlier days is exactly like wilshire, keane played nothing like him just because they both were box to box players doesnt mean he was like keane.

sure they are:rolleyes:, its bread into them players not to give up. we are building again just like when roy keane left people said united were finished what do we do come back to rule again, this is whats happening and we still are winning trophies unlike a lot of teams i could mention.

we barely lost the league last year and we lost the best player in the world at the time in ronaldo and we lost tevez when fabergas goes ye will truly be finished and are odds on to win it this year. do you honestly think arsenal are better than united please we beat you on sat with a 3rd string defence as our midfeild and ye had a full team ye are a pathetic group of players barcalona wanna be's who have no killer touch or trophies in the last few years:D

rooney will come back into it dont you worry, we have valencia back now and he will supply the ammo for waza to get back to his best.

dont talk about injuries as we were missing rio pretty much all season and valencia and oshea etc etc and last year we were without rio and vidic together for the whole season and barely lost the league we had fletcher and carrick as centre backs remember.

dont give the injury excuses they dont cut it as united suffered more than arsenal, year after year arsenal fail and crumble as its men vs boys.

il talk more with you when ye start winnin trophies otherwise back the hell up essay:D joke

Were you born in 1999?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No amount of facepalms could do this post justice.

Advertisement