Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you please recommend a STB box for me?

• 12-03-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently have a SKY HD box, but I am considering changing to free to air.
    I've had a look at some Irish sites (tvtrade.ie, satellite.ie) but I'm still not 100% sure what would meet my requirements.

I want one the gives me...
    • Free to air channels, Discovery in particular
    • One that'll record/pause live TV & can be programmed to series link
    • Saorview so I can get the Irish channels
    • Preferably one I can use with my existing satellite dish & the related wiring

I'm not sure if there is any such thing that does all of the above, if there is I would really appreciate some recommendations please :)

Just out of curiosity, would my existing sky box do anything once the subscription is cancelled? Would it still bring in any/much channels?

Thanks in advance for your time & apologies if there is already a similar thread.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Sky box works for all the Free UK Channels. Take card out, unplug mains, restart without card. See which channels work...

See http://www.saortv.info/channels/
    and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_in_the_UK

No single box works perfectly for UK satellite and Irish Terrestrial. None of the Combo boxes are actually Saorview or Freesat compatible, they just receive the channels.

Best to get a Saorview compatible TV or Compatible Terrestrial basic Set box and reconsider the PVR situation (recording) after June.

RTE Series link isn't transmitted yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Discovery is Not free..
    You need to pay sky for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks both for the advice :)

I had a feeling discovery might be subscription only, thats a pity. Thanks all the same!

Advertisement