Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What has happened to our proud history...

• 12-03-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭

...of Eurovision?

Back in the early nineties we dominated it. I only a youngster would sit in front of the telly watching these talented gladiators do battle in song and dance in heroic fashion.

Lately we've become the laughing stock of europe with such acts as the McCauls, Dustin, Micky Joe Harte and now the Jedwards.

So fellow AHers, why arent we competing at the highest levels any more, like how come our youngsters dont sit infront of the TV and dream about representing us in the Eurovision like we did we we were young?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I suppose we collectively decided the manufacture of cheesy pop songs is not a worthwhile venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭whiteboy

Eurovision is the worst thing ever, now that jewdard are representing us I hate it even more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Some of us have good musical tastes. eurovision was always ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

I agree with the OP. If we won the Eurovision this year we'd be in a much better bargaining position with the IMF. Shame on you again RTE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Damn you OP, I had the tricolour out and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

This year we have two lovely boys representing us and the UK has an ATM pisser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

In before the ' Royaume Uni , et Irelande nuls points ' vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

We'd need somebody a little less monsterous than Jedward. Somebody like this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Ceased to be a singing contest ages ago :( Even Malta abandoned us in the UK last year if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ummm, I think the whole point of history is that it's, er, history. It's in the past. So the present can't influence it. So nothing's happened our history, proud or otherwise.

Incidentally, why are the Irish always brilliant at the things that nobody else gives a shit about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So fellow AHers, why arent we competing at the highest levels any more, like how come our youngsters dont sit infront of the TV and dream about representing us in the Eurovision like we did we we were young?

We did?!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Einhard wrote: »
    We did?!:eek:

Yes we did, I dont care what anybody said says but riverdance gives me goosebumps.

Now if there was some way to get Michael flatley to do a show with Sir God of the Universe, or Bono for short, We'd be kings of Europe once more!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

whiteboy wrote: »
    Eurovision is the worst thing ever, now that jewdard are representing us I hate it even more!

those crazy teenagers and their unkempt sideburns, oi vey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

eurovision fack off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Yes we did, I dont care what anybody said says but riverdance gives me goosebumps.

Now if there was some way to get Michael flatley to do a show with Sir God of the Universe, or Bono for short, We'd be kings of Europe once more!!!

Riverdance was not a Eurovision entry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lately we've become the laughing stock of europe with such acts as the McCauls, Dustin, Micky Joe Harte and now the Jedwards.

With the modern day irrelevance of the Eurovision song contest and ruinous trend towards incestuous/biased voting amongst some competition member countries. I thinks the likes of the above Irish contestants, give a nice ironic two fingers towards the credibility of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

With the modern day irrelevance of the Eurovision song contest and ruinous trend towards incestuous/biased voting amongst some competition member countries. I thinks the likes of the above Irish contestants, give a nice ironic two fingers towards the credibility of the competition.

Perhaps but lets put you're tinfoil hat conspiricy theory of block voting aside, could it be that we lack ambition?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

Because OP,

I remember '62
    I was sixteen and so were you
    And we lived next door,
    On the avenue.
    Jerry Lee was big and Elvis too;
    Blue jeans and blue suede shoes,
    And we never knew
    What life held in store.
    We just wanted to rock 'n' roll forever more.

We were the Rock 'n' Roll Kids
    And Rock 'n' Roll was all we did
    And listening to those songs on the radio;
    I was yours and you were mine
    But that was once upon a time,
    Now we never seem to Rock 'n' Roll anymore.

Now Johnny's in love with the girl next door,
    And Mary's down at the record store,
    They don't want to be...around us no more.
    "Golden Oldies" but we hardly speak
    Too busy running to a different beat
    Hard to understand, we were once like them.
    How I wish we could find those Rock 'n' Roll days again.

We were the Rock 'n' Roll Kids
    And Rock 'n' Roll was all we did,
    And listening to those songs on the radio;
    I was yours and you were mine,
    But that was once upon a time,
    Now we never seem to Rock and Roll anymore.

I was yours and you were mine
    That was once upon a time,
    Now we never seem to Rock and Roll...

We just never seem to Rock and Roll anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Perhaps but lets put you're tinfoil hat conspiricy theory of block voting aside,

Tinfoil hat conspiracy?:confused: I couldn't give a fcuk about some outdated shyte competition. But let no one deny that bloc voting hasn't occurred.
    could it be that we lack ambition?

Ambition? Winning the Eurovision might had been an exciting achievement back in Johnny Logan's days. But setting it as an ambition to win today, wouldn't say much about our ambitions now would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Tinfoil hat conspiracy?:confused: I couldn't give a fcuk about some outdated shyte competition. But let no one deny that bloc voting hasn't occurred

whether block voting has or has not occurred we have sent some awful s**te to the eurovision last 10 years lets be honest, the uk have been as bad, dervish, dustin, jedward shocking stuff altogether

the best songs will still win or end up top 3 at the very worst, we simply have not been good enough and this year we won't make it past the qualifiers, when turkey are sending this and we are sending f**king turkeys and dustin we only have ourselves to blame

Advertisement