Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull Docility

• 12-03-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey Lads and Lassies. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how docility is scored on the Eurostar Indexes for Charolais Bulls. Is it the more stars a bull has the quieter he is or is it the higher the percentage rank he is the more docile? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Hey Lads and Lassies. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how docility is scored on the Eurostar Indexes for Charolais Bulls. Is it the more stars a bull has the quieter he is or is it the higher the percentage rank he is the more docile? Thanks in advance.

If you believe the Eurostar Index. A 5* bull is a better docility score than a 1* bull. So 5* = more docile.
    They are an indication, not the be all and end all, but the longer they go on the more reliability the results will be.
    Beware any scores with low reliability figures.

Is there some particular bull in AI your asking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It doesn't matter what the trait is, the more stars a bull (or any heifer/cow) has the better.
    It can be confusing in that a low % figure (% within breed or across breeds) can be good in some cases, like Direct Calving Difficulty, while a high % value is good in others like, weaning value, slaughter value etc.

Each star is 20%, so 5 stars would mean it is in the top 20% for that trait. 2 Stars it is somewhere between 20% and 40%.
    So a bull that has 5 Stars for eveything is a super bull, not many of them around.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Englebert Humperdink

I had a PB Charolais bull but had to get rid of him. I need another but want one thats quiet and easy calving. I had my old bull for five years and only had to use the jack twice, both times on heifers. The calves were small enough when born but were very good by the time I was selling them. Thats why Im looking for another along the same lines.

Advertisement