Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband - Replacing cable modem

Options
  • 13-03-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I had UPC broadband installed a few months back and it have been fraught with disconnection problems. Essentially what is happening is that approximately once per hour the connection drop for about a minute. Called UPC and in fairness to them they sent some guy out who tested the line and found that the signal strength was set too high at some amplifier and they spent two days trying to resolve the problem. However it hasn't resolved the problem. I have always been of the opinion that the cable-modem itself has some sort of hardware problem and the info I have found so far on the forums would ted to support this (CISCO EPC2425). However, UPC don't seem to agree and I can't get them to replace the modem.

What I was wondering is this. If I were to pick up a secondhand UPC router on adverts.ie and swap it out with my current mode would it work or what configuration changes would I have to make?

Let me know your thoughts...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

unfortunately, you can't just swap out a UPC modem/router on your own as the unique MAC address of the router has to be provisioned by UPC themselves.

you might just have to try and be a little more forceful with them to get the issue resolved.

keep calling and/or emailing them every couple of days and insist that they need to get the issue resolved to your satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cavanman

Thanks for the info Vibe666. Called UPC and thankfully the connection dropped while I was on the phone to them. Will see if I can get a replacement modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

It's worth increasing the DHCP lease time (in the router configuration pages) to a much higher figure, about 100 times as large. For some reason on my Cisco job, when you reset it, that setting goes to a very small figure resulting in dropped wifi, even though it shouldn't.

Mileage seems to vary significantly with that cursed Cisco box....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Any Cable Modems on Adverts.ie are stolen.

Apart from one or two countries, they always belong to the Cable Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

watty wrote: »
    Any Cable Modems on Adverts.ie are stolen.

Apart from one or two countries, they always belong to the Cable Company.
    Old thread I know but ... is that true? UPC told me I could keep my Cisco EPC2425 when I upgraded from 30Mbps to 50Mbps and they sent out the Thomson box. Maybe the policy has changed since you posted last or something?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement