Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland from Honduras, Central America

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I don't give a flying fcuk about poland Really? You sound like you're running for president :rolleyes:

Weather , far better you have no weather you have suicidal condition I mentioned weather already and it's true that Poland has much warmer summers but the winters are much harsher over there and the temperatures can drop to -20.

Shopping, go and visit poland any average city has more shopping malls not to mention capital warsaw, on the opposite you have 2 STREETS, GRAFTON AND HENRY, your shopping is a joke What about the following shopping centres: St Stephens Green, Jervis Street, Ilac Centre, Dundrum, Liffey Valley, Blanchardstown, The Square Tallaght, plus everything else in and around Grafton Street & Henry Street......and that's just in Dublin. I'd say the shopping here is more then adequate for a population of our size.

Not to mention we have much more choices in every area here it is a joke 3 kinds of ketchup ??? and I can list more and more, and you know very well cause most of you travel,I assume reality bites and you cant swallow it. 3 kinds of ketchup? What :confused:

Taxes ,no country in EU has such high taxes as Ireland Eh what about Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Austria, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, The Netherlands, UK etc? They are all around the 50% maxim income tax bracket also.

Landscape and things to do, it is nothing to do here, people have no hobbies except get drunk. There is plenty to do in Ireland outside of pub culture. We have lots of mountains, forests, lakes, etc to explore plus we live on an island so of course we have the advantage of having lots of water sport activities. Saying there is nothing to do in Ireland outside of the pub is ridiculous especially since Poland has just as much as a drinking/pub culture as Ireland.

Hard to get around Well Dublin has a vast bus network, LUAS tram service and the cost has access to the DART train line. Outside of the capital might not be that accessible without a car but our infrastructure is slowly improving.

Hard to get to EU, tickets are expensive just taxes add up to 50 euro on each ticket Ireland is in the EU. Plus air fare prices/taxes are no more or less then anywhere else in the EU in my experiences. Okay airlines will hike up prices at peak times like anywhere else but popular destinations will always be more expensive, that's expected.

Women in poland :) I wont compare Ireland, someone said something about UK women recently on the news same applies here :)))) Okay you win here hands down, but seriously, Polish women don't compare well to other Eastern European countries like Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary IMO. Your girls might have nice bodies and keep in shape but that's about it, I've seen prettier English girls to be honest, but true, compared to Ireland you do well.

Food here, YUCK The food in Poland is awful too. You eat way too much Pork and horrible pickled vegetables like cabbage & beetroot plus traditional delicacies such as pierogi are just bland and tasteless.

Xenophobia Haha! Nice try :) Compared to Poland, Ireland is an extremely welcoming and tolerant country for any nationality to live. Don't even mind xenophobia, you won't see the same level as down right racism here like you would in right wing Poland.

RipOFF everywhere Our prices are reflected by our incomes like anywhere else. Our average industrial wage is around €30k per annum so prices will reflect that. In Poland the average wage is around €4k per annum so prices will obviously reflect that. It's not rocket science.

Debt, this country comparing to poland is broke ,yes it is just gonna get only worst Yes we are broke but we will bounce back. Btw if Poland is such a fantastic place to live then why are Polish people continuously leaving it like the bubonic plague just broke out? :confused:

Good luck with living in your illusion, I would rather live in portugal than here even greece sounds more fun, at least they have sun and good food not to mention welcoming people without overblown ego Then just move and quit complaining. There is nobody holding a gun to your head keeping you here :rolleyes: This is what I really dislike about Poles. You seem to have very short and selective memories. Ireland was only 1 of 3 EU counties to open our boarders in 2004 to let hundreds of thousands of Eastern Europeans come here to live, work and earn more money then they could ever dream of. Yet when our economy goes into recession all you do is turn your back on us and look for a more prosperous countries to invade and leech off just like you have done throughout your history. A leopard can't change their spots I suppose. Btw "overblown egos", have you not got any mirrors in Polska?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

go and visit poland any average city has more shopping malls

Says it all really.

American style Malls don't make a city. I have been to Polish malls. Like most malls they are impersonal, unfriendly, static, soulless kips. So, it's down to taste Polishvisitor, you are the type that likes things like malls, most city people don't like them.

From reading your post Polishvisitor, you didn't really see much of Dublin. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

@RaekwonTake it easy man - don't take that Visitor too serious. I'm an immigrant too, also from Poland and to make long story short I'll tell you one thing - I bought a house here in Dublin, so like it or not, but I will be here in this country for another "few" yearsAnd very shortly - one comment - It does make no sense to compare which country is better , who has better womens, more food etc. - It is all about our choices - we live where we want to live - we meet who we want to meet, and if somebody can't find beautiful/ handsome partner i'd say - there is something wrong with the seeker. We have 21st century - Internet is so popular, that eveyone knows how to get best deals and yes - Irish shops it is a rip off in some areas, but you can easily find what you want and pay less. There is no major problem with jobs, but with the social welfare system - it is too generous and makes people too lazy. Maybe I'm lucky to know people who never had problems to find or change job. - it is all about your motivation. :) The only HUGE MINUS about Ireland is Gardai - youths have no respect, most people have no respect for gardai - and there is a small number of people including Easter Europeans making a lot of problems. I find garda useless unfortunately, but there are many nice people out here and I have lovely neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Raekwon wrote: »
    Women in poland :) I wont compare Ireland, someone said something about UK women recently on the news same applies here :)))) Okay you win here hands down, but seriously, Polish women don't compare well to other Eastern European countries like Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary IMO. Your girls might have nice bodies and keep in shape but that's about it, I've seen prettier English girls to be honest, but true, compared to Ireland you do well.

I'l say one thing for use heinously ugly Irish women, at least we are not superficial,and don't rate countries according to whether Irish or Polish men have the biggest pecs and d*ck size.

I hope the OP enjoys her soujourn in the emerald isle. Like all other countries it has it good bits and bad bits, on the whole though its a pretty nice place to live :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But in fairness take every single negative point that PolishVisitor listed and compare each one to his country.
    That's not the point - this is about Ireland, not Poland. People here should accept criticism (I'm not talking about insults or Irish self flagellation). If that's how PolishVisitor feels, then it's no less valid than a glowing appraisal of the place - people's experiences vary.

• Advertisement

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    @RaekwonTake it easy man - don't take that Visitor too serious

I was taking it easy, all I was doing was trying to balance his totally lopsided argument and blinkered views, job done I'd say. Btw I noticed he has also made a third list of negative comments in After Hours about Dublin so he is obviously a total troll who's opinion means nothing to me know anyway.
    panda100 wrote:
    I'l say one thing for use heinously ugly Irish women, at least we are not superficial,and don't rate countries according to whether Irish or Polish men have the biggest pecs and d*ck size.

Yeah right :rolleyes:
    Dudess wrote:
    That's not the point - this is about Ireland, not Poland. People here should accept criticism (I'm not talking about insults or Irish self flagellation). If that's how PolishVisitor feels, then it's no less valid than a glowing appraisal of the place - people's experiences vary.

So if somebody made a derogatory list about Cork and in the Cork Forum you wouldn't bat an eye lid I suppose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

tricky D wrote: »
    If you are working in Dublin 1, you will probably go to work by train http://www.irishrail.ie (DART is the best train route), tram http://www.luas.ie or bus www.dublinbus.ie. Driving by car often takes too long and parking is hard to find and expensive unless you are very lucky and your employer has parking spaces.

Catholic churches and schools will be no problem at all.

There are lots of beaches, but they often in the areas which are more expensive to live in.

Your rent will be much more than €700, almost 2 times that for a 3 bedroom apartment/house http://www.daft.ie.

€100,000 is very good income in Ireland.

Childcare is very expensive here http://childcare.ie. You see that almost all childcare businesses do not list the prices because they are so expensive. You will probably need after school which is not so expensive but a lot more than €100. This has prices but not for after school http://www.snowdropscreche.com/Fees---Services.html. It will give you an idea of how much more expensive it is here. Childcare at home is very very expensive. However, it is very common for teenage children not to go to childcare after school and go straight home.

College fees are not too expensive here about €2000-€6000 a year if your children get EU status. If they do not get EU status it will be very expensive. I think your children will be OK for EU status. http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/eu_fees.htm That is for the fees only and that might go up in the next few years.
    http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/fees/, http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/fees/fees_coursefees.php and http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate.htm They are the big universities. There are many other colleges which have degree courses. Most will have similar fees and EU status arrangements.

Car insurance will be cheaper when you pass your EU driving test. I have 20 years here, no claims and pay around €600 a year. Your non EU licence will make that much more expensive so book a test as soon as you get here.

You will also need to pay for TV cable or satellite ~€50/month. Also TV licence (tax) is €160 a year.
    Welcome OP:)

Although in saying that about child care they could get a woman who isnt expensive,and has the proper Garda clearance and op can ask for that reference if they dont go through an agency.
    Plenty of women in Ireland who child mind and not to expensive.
    Make sure to ask for the Garda clearance reference op if you are looking for childminder.
    As they are also school going age? It will take off the childminding fees.
    Sorry does your wife work? Or going to look for work when you are here?Which will either up your income,or it will also not cost you for childminding if she doesnt.
    I think a hundred grand a year your wife would be able to stay at home and if wanted get part time work to take the off the child minding fees.

And to the people bringing up women in the country:rolleyes: OP is married and isnt interested in that.

OP also there is a few places you could live in Dublin which would be close to Beaches since we have a few.Also plenty of horse riding centers and every area has a football club for kids.Which most football is very cheap for the kids to join.
    But we would need to know where you are going to be allocated when working to make travel easy for you to get to them and to work.
    You wont find an area in Dublin without catholic churches and catholic schools.And the kids will be the new kid so should find friends very easy and feel very welcome.
    I didnt see if you said where you will be working.

caseyann wrote: »
    And to the people bringing person that brought up women in the country:rolleyes: OP is married and isnt interested in that.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Hi OP -

I'm an American who has lived in Central America (Nicaragua) and Ireland, so here is my take on some of the adjustments.

Irish people are generally friendly, and appreciate others who are friendly as well. Greeting people and a bit of chit chat with those you regularly see in shops and the like is appreciated. I think that some of the tension with other immigrant groups, especially Eastern Europeans, is because there are different norms of interaction with strangers, so some immigrants are seen as rude.

Ireland is also an unbelievably safe country compared to most of the Americas. Serious crime (murder, violent assault) gets a lot of media attention because it is rare. However, like any large city, Dublin has its sketchy areas - but even the worst parts of Dublin can't compare to the kinds of violence that has become sadly common in Tegucigalpa, or to use an example from the US, Chicago. However, there are serious problems with drug addiction in some parts of the city, so it is not uncommon to see heroin addicts in the city center.

If you are going to commute, I would recommend living somewhere off of the Luas or the DART (rail) rather than a bus line. Bus service on the weekends and off-peak hours can be spotty. If you take the bus, be sure to queue - getting on and off public transport is very orderly.

I can't lie - the weather can be awfully depressing. But if it gets to be too much, there are very cheap flights to Spain. :)

Finally, be careful when you are looking at houses. A lot of Irish houses are very poorly insulated (for both heat and noise). Living in a semi-detached house will alleviate this problem somewhat, but you should definitely check the windows and ask about the winter heating and energy bills, which can be astronomical. Ireland doesn't get as cold as, say, Germany or the Nordic countries, but it is very damp, which to me is almost worse as the cold seems to settle in my bones. It also doesn't get that warm either, and the Irish seem to have a very different definition of 'beach' weather. :p

I hope this helps, and good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

A lot of Irish houses are very poorly insulated (for both heat and noise). Living in a semi-detached house will alleviate this problem somewhat, but you should definitely check the windows and ask about the winter heating and energy bills, which can be astronomical. Ireland doesn't get as cold as, say, Germany or the Nordic countries, but it is very damp, which to me is almost worse as the cold seems to settle in my bones. It also doesn't get that warm either, and the Irish seem to have a very different definition of 'beach' weather.

You are now required to have a BER certificate when selling or renting your house. This covers the issues you describe.

• Advertisement

You are now required to have a BER certificate when selling or renting your house. This covers the issues you describe.

Nobody told me that when I rented in Dublin. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I'm with you rosie, I didn't realise it covered rental properties and am now stuck in an icebox of a flat, oh well at least its coming into spring.

FYP

Thanks i will re-word it,the people who are bad mouthing(one of the usual suspects jumped aboard) the Irish women and calling them ugly etc.. etc... op is married and doesnt give a toss. :D

Thanks i will re-word it,the people who are bad mouthing(one of the usual suspects jumped aboard) the Irish women and calling them ugly etc.. etc... op is married and doesnt give a toss. :D

Grow up!

Hi OP -

I'm an American who has lived in Central America (Nicaragua) and Ireland, so here is my take on some of the adjustments.

Irish people are generally friendly, and appreciate others who are friendly as well. Greeting people and a bit of chit chat with those you regularly see in shops and the like is appreciated. I think that some of the tension with other immigrant groups, especially Eastern Europeans, is because there are different norms of interaction with strangers, so some immigrants are seen as rude.

Ireland is also an unbelievably safe country compared to most of the Americas. Serious crime (murder, violent assault) gets a lot of media attention because it is rare. However, like any large city, Dublin has its sketchy areas - but even the worst parts of Dublin can't compare to the kinds of violence that has become sadly common in Tegucigalpa, or to use an example from the US, Chicago. However, there are serious problems with drug addiction in some parts of the city, so it is not uncommon to see heroin addicts in the city center.

If you are going to commute, I would recommend living somewhere off of the Luas or the DART (rail) rather than a bus line. Bus service on the weekends and off-peak hours can be spotty. If you take the bus, be sure to queue - getting on and off public transport is very orderly.

I can't lie - the weather can be awfully depressing. But if it gets to be too much, there are very cheap flights to Spain. :)

Finally, be careful when you are looking at houses. A lot of Irish houses are very poorly insulated (for both heat and noise). Living in a semi-detached house will alleviate this problem somewhat, but you should definitely check the windows and ask about the winter heating and energy bills, which can be astronomical. Ireland doesn't get as cold as, say, Germany or the Nordic countries, but it is very damp, which to me is almost worse as the cold seems to settle in my bones. It also doesn't get that warm either, and the Irish seem to have a very different definition of 'beach' weather. :p

I hope this helps, and good luck with the move.

Except the tension you seem to think exsists with Eastern Europeans which i have not once ever come across and the beach comment.As as Irish we dont think its ideal beach weather but rather have to take what we get and enjoy.
    Your post is pretty much on point.

We have had some nice heat waves but not in recent years sadly,heres hoping after that crappy winter we get heat wave summer.

Except the tension you seem to think exsists with Eastern Europeans which i have not once ever come across

It does exist, but it happens in every other country in the world also so it's not exactly exclusive to this country, fair from it actually. IMO Ireland is alot more tolerable to foreign immigrants (especially Eastern Europeans) then alot of other countries even though it's a relativity new experience for us as a nation and we are still constantly adapting.

It does exist, but it happens in every other country in the world also so it's not exactly exclusive to this country, fair from it actually. IMO Ireland is alot more tolerable to foreign immigrants (especially Eastern Europeans) then alot of other countries even though it's a relativity new experience for us as a nation and we are still constantly adapting.

I know it exists but i have not come across it personally,so i dont think a huge amount or a issue per say.
    I agree Irish people do tend to have the more open minded attitude and try be as welcoming as they can,even though it is somewhat a new situation to be the end journey for people when we were only the stop off for most before..Ofc not everyone is going to get along sure some counties hate each other never mind being from another country lol.
    We arent very suspicious of people either and take them at face value and i reckon a might to trustworthy.
    I do think op being mature age and with kids and work and his wife will settle in very well,and may even with their family values bring some of the good family values back with them.

Except the tension you seem to think exsists with Eastern Europeans which i have not once ever come across and the beach comment.As as Irish we dont think its ideal beach weather but rather have to take what we get and enjoy.
    Your post is pretty much on point.

We have had some nice heat waves but not in recent years sadly,heres hoping after that crappy winter we get heat wave summer.

Haha, a "heat wave" for Ireland is winter weather for most of the Caribbean basin! I wore more layers of clothes in Ireland in July than I used to wear in Miami in January. :p

Advertisement