Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Anti-Virus 2011

• 13-03-2011 3:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Long story short, I bought my old work laptop for personal use, the 3 year McAfee subscription expired last week and I hadn't renewed it yet but it looks like i've got the XP Antivirus malware. I had been hoping I could just renew the McAfee subscription and it would get rid of it but the malware won't let me use the internet at all, just keeps redirecting me to their subscription page.

Haven't a clue how to proceed from here and really need the laptop for work - should I just give it in to an expert or can I fix it myself? Any tips appreciated big time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Malwarebytes will get rid of this. If you can't get to the MB website to download it, download it to a clean computer and transfer it with a memory stick.

This site should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Don't give it to anyone, it'l cost you the guts of €100 and it's an easy fix.

Don't renew McAffe either, it's crap and a waste of money. There's loads of better free alternatives. First thing to do here is delete it. To do this you need to go in to "Add and Remove programs". Any problems with this, ask back here.

(2) You need to download Malwarebytes, superantispyware and Microsoft security essientials---->this is gonna be your new antivirus. These are free.

See if you can download them in safe mode with Networking, to get into safe mode, keep pressing F8 as soon as you turn your Laptop on and you will see the option for this. If the virus stops you downloading directly, your gonna have to download them on another computer and install on to yours with a USB stick as Duiske said.

When you have them, turn the laptop on in Safe mode with Networking. Install the above and see if you can update them online. Run FULL SCANS with the 3 of them while still in safe mode (will take time), that will sort it.

Malwarebytes and Microsoft security essientials will do if tight for time.

Read this thread, post 4, when your done with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Thanks a million, will give it a lash tonight. MASTER I tried the other day to remove it using the add/remove programs tool but I couldn't find it, there's nothing called XP AntiVirus showing up. Any idea what I should be looking for?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

radharc wrote: »
    Thanks a million, will give it a lash tonight. MASTER I tried the other day to remove it using the add/remove programs tool but I couldn't find it, there's nothing called XP AntiVirus showing up. Any idea what I should be looking for?
    Oh no...I meant to remove McAfee from "Add and Remove", because you can't have two Antivirus installed at the same time.

This is a McAfee removal tool you may need, I never needed it myself but it's here if you need it. Apparently, a new antivirus may not install if it picks up remnants of McAfee. Never seen it happen myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Well just typing here from the laptop, got sorted anyway so thanks a million for all your help guys!

Advertisement