Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to get some experience

• 13-03-2011 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    just wondering about getting some professional experience, if I were to approach a local photographer about tagging along on some work what do you think the likely hood of s/he responding positively?

I am in Cork and would be willing to help out on a pro-bono basis in order to gain some experience!

any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Go on one of the photowalks with people from boards

Great fun and great experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I know of a workshop starting up in Cork very soon, I went on a 3 hour sampler recently and found it very helpful, learned loads. Priced really well, and small groups.
    Not sure if I'm allowed mention it on here, so PM for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

You will never know how they will respond until you contact a few and ask them.

Contact 10 togs near you and you will surly get one or two to take you one for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

You will never know how they will respond until you contact a few and ask them.

Contact 10 togs near you and you will surly get one or two to take you one for a few days.

From experience even that statement is a bit optimistic, A lot of photographers would just see this as someone who will be asking questions and possibly get in the way.

Best off to make a portfolio, Show your ability to photograph subjects, set up the camera lighting etc. Don't attach it though, cause if I got an email with a 5mb attachment I'd ignore it, but just put a link at the bottom, If they're interested they might have a quick look and maybe contact you...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Speaking from personal experience - I get 2 or 3 of these requests a week.

Unfortunately, in most cases, I am unable to help. I used to write detailed responses with (hopefully) helpful advice and information, but in most cases never even got an acknowledgment, let alone thanks - so I stopped doing that !

My advice, for what it's worth :

(1) Show that you have done some basic investigation (i.e. viewed the photographer's website) and know their name ("to whom it may concern" is not a good start to an email !)

(2) As mentioned already, don't include any huge attachments - a link is fine

(3) The portfolio/work you link to should include at least some samples of relevant work e.g. if you want to do portraiture, then you should have some photos of people, rather than all landscapes

(4) Indicate what you are hoping to get from the work, and what your commitment to it would be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement