Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

600cc sports bike question?

• 13-03-2011 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting either a yamaha yzfr6 or a Honda cbr600rr mainly because I just love the look of both. The problem is I don't know would I be able to handle a bike of that size.

To give my background, I had a moped from when I was 16 to 18 then got a nsr 80 which I later crashed and shortly afterwards sold and bought a car. I'm now 25 and last year decided to do my motorbike test for the full licence. I did 6 hours lessons with David Lyons on a school bike and then passed the test the next day. I haven't driven a bike since!

My full licence restriction won't be up till December so I realise I will have to get any 600cc bike restricted.

What's yere opinion about me getting such a 'big' bike?

Ps. I would like to consider myself fairly responsible and wouldn't be doing the same messing as I did when I was 18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I don't see why not. Once it's restricted and you take your time getting back into you should be fine. Grab yourself some crash mushrooms though, if you're only used to smaller bikes the extra weight might catch you by surprise and fairings are a pain to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't see why not. Once it's restricted and you take your time getting back into you should be fine. Grab yourself some crash mushrooms though, if you're only used to smaller bikes the extra weight might catch you by surprise and

+1,
    fairings are a pain to replace.

Streetfighter:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

I don't see why not. Once it's restricted and you take your time getting back into you should be fine. Grab yourself some crash mushrooms though, if you're only used to smaller bikes the extra weight might catch you by surprise and fairings are a pain to replace.

agreed..

If you get it restricted, the cbr is not too bad it will still go no problem and once your licence matures the restrictor is easy enough to take off, if you go down the route of the ecu restriction from honda you can then sell that on again,
    I have seen a load for sale around the place, and if you get honda to do it it will cost more but they give a cert which will make insurance easier to get.

If the insurance is the problem you can do the insurance test with most instructors, its basically a test and they then rate how good/safe/efficient you are, depending on this it can mean a large amount off your insurance.

on a cbr 600 from 2009 one fairing is 90euro, then to paint it costs about 250euro, if you have a spill and only damage one side you will have to replace at least 2-3 of the fairings on the side depending so it can get expensive. and as said the bars will save a packet and if you only have them on for a few months just for your confidence you can always sell them on..

what year cbr are you looking at...
    The new cbr 600s now come in rr and ff spec, the ff is not as powerful but its still 106hp i think but it comes with combined braking which for novices(like me) can help you out just when you need it..i know it has saved my ass a few times already..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You had a moped which you crashed and after several years in a car you are now considering a sportsbike? Have you any points on your license from driving the car? I'm sure you are a responsible driver so the best advice I can give you is that the speed of a bike is directly proportional to your right wrist - nothing else. With this in mind, spend a morning with David Lyons or any advanced bike instructor and see whether they think you are ready for a sportsbike. A morning on a school bike will give you a feel for them and the power they deliver. The rest is up to you.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

@ interceptor. Thanks for the advice. I actually crashed a nsr 80 motorbike not the scooter. I'd certainly intend on getting a good few lessons from David Lyons or another instructor if I do decide on getting a sportsbike. With regard to me having penalty points, the answer is no, I'm glad to say after 7 years of driving I've never got a ticket.

Insurance seems reasonable enough, about €750 for an r6. Still €200 more expensive than my car insurance though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

keano007 wrote: »
    With regard to me having penalty points, the answer is no

I wasn't being trite - the term among instructors and others for someone returning to biking is 'Born again Biker' and statistically you are more at risk of an accident as a result of your speed perception and traffic over-familiarity from driving a car. Riding a bike is dynamically different and it is hard to think like a learner when you feel you are ready for a big bike.

I'm sure you will be fine - take it nice and easy, treat every other road user like they are trying to kill you.

Stick up a picture of your bike when you get it!

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

I wasn't being trite - the term among instructors and others for someone returning to biking is 'Born again Biker' and statistically you are more at risk of an accident as a result of your speed perception and traffic over-familiarity from driving a car. Riding a bike is dynamically different and it is hard to think like a learner when you feel you are ready for a big bike.

I'm sure you will be fine - take it nice and easy, treat every other road user like they are trying to kill you.

Stick up a picture of your bike when you get it!

'cptr

Thanks dude will do, cheers for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

treat every other road user like they are trying to kill you.

i think this may be the best piece of advice i have read on here...

Advertisement