Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moral issue

Options
  • 13-03-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going anon for this one. I work in a junior role in a professional services firm. I have recently seen a couple of things that make me uncomfortable ie. we generally charge on an "on the clock basis", I have seen people adding time to the clock and in addition one senior guy I was working with doubled the time before telling a client "the time on the clock is X".

So basically Im thinking of quitting, I asked my parents advice who said "You need to live though, why dont you just try and keep you're own patch clean".

Any advice would be much appreciated, anyone had a similar experience, anyone think I should "get real" or anyone agree with me that this would make them uncomfortable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Its not worth quiting a job over but with it being fraud i can see why you would be uncomfortable with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Have to say feel sorry for you its a tough position to be in. Could you go to senior management about it? or are they in some way complicit. I wouldn't quit the job in the current economic conditions but fair play to you for considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Any advice would be much appreciated, anyone had a similar experience, anyone think I should "get real" or anyone agree with me that this would make them uncomfortable?

Op... get real.

At the end of the day, everyone's timesheet needs to add up to 7.5 hours and at the end of the week it needs to add up to 37.5.

If a company budgeted 30 hours for a job and were finished in 15 due to an amazing efficiency not reflected in the charge-out rate, and the client is happy to pay for 30 hours, the company can charge for 30.

If the job ran too long and took 37.5 hours, it's possible the client will still pay for 30.

The client is paying for the job. Think of the hours on the clock as a control or administration.

Advertisement