Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Play to the Galway Advertiser

Options
  • 13-03-2011 11:02am

I thought it was about time that the Galway Advertiser received the recognition they deserve, especially with the coverage they provided of last night's fire, but also the unfaltering and concise coverage of the recent counts in Galway West and East on their Facebook page. It's so good to finally see a news provider doing proper coverage of places that aren't in Dublin.

For those who are on Facebook but not following their page, you can find it here

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Congratulated 2 weeks back , where were you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Congratulated 2 weeks back , where were you??

Yeah, but they deserve a special 'Fair Play' thread of their own:p

Seriously tho, it is a page well worth liking, it's great :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Write them a letter OP.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Write them a letter OP.

Pft. Writing letters is for old fogeys :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

fcuk the advertiser, it's only a rag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    fcuk the advertiser, it's only a rag!

Wonderful contribution

I hope it's a regular thing now, it's great to have such a service available helps stop rumour mongering and such

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

One of the new TDs, Sean Kyne, was not exactly glowing in his praise for them. He reckoned their poll, published in the week of the election, was way off the mark as it didn't give him a chance of being elected. He reckons he might have lost a few votes because of it. Also took a swipe at them on GBFM, for writing an 'Insider' column about local politics ... when they don't actually send reporters to cover Council meetings.

He welcomed their new found interest in politics and asked whether they would bother going to meetings now that the election is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Insider gets a good bit of flak from the political types. I thought that was the point.

And unless the good Mr. Kyne expects the pollsters to go through the full proportional-representation rigamarole with a sample base close to the size of the electorate itself, polls are going to be wrong. By that logic, half the people who voted for O'Cuiv and Nolan needn't have bothered, they were such sure things for seats. They still bothered. And so did Kyne's voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 liabhroidi

What a wonderfully barbed reply which has fk all to do with the coverage of the fire last night. It seems it sticks in some people's craw for the GA to get any praise at all. It kicked ass with the coverage of the fire and the elections. Any way, since when were city council meetings politics. lol. Thought they were just shouting and roaring and corrupt planning deals. If Kyne hated them so much, he was kissing their ass with a big page interview this week.

BTW celty, Ive just checked the advertiser site there and that poll was not done in the week of the election. it was published the week before that again and before Kyne wooed Conemara with his stance on the irish language policy when he said he opposed Kenny's proposal. That won him a lot of support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I loved the Advertiser's blow by blow coverage of the election count, some fairly witty stuff, as well as being informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Pft. Writing letters is for old fogeys :p
    Give them an @reply or like them or add them as friends on myspace.

hehe, myspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I 'unliked' them yesterday from my Facebook. I usually only check my FB every 24 hours and so it's a pain in the ass when it's full of blow-by-blow updates on news items that are no longer news.

I am also surprised they were so blatantly anti Fianna Fail in their FB comments. I ain't no FF'er but I like a bit of balance albeit on a Social Network website.

Someone defending FF? That's a new one. But didnt they hammer Healey Eames of FG as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

liabhroidi wrote: »
    Someone defending FF? That's a new one. But didnt they hammer Healey Eames of FG as well.

Ha Ha. Ya, you are right; they gave FHE a bit of stick alright.

I'm not FF.

I voted for Eamonn Walsh (IND) and Derek Nolan (LAB)

Advertisement