Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun shops on dublin

Options
  • 13-03-2011 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

Well lads.
    I am working up in the big smoke for a few weeks and I am wondering is there any shops worth a look while I am here.
    I am working and staying in the D2 area.

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

make sure your tooled up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Well lads.
    I am working up in the big smoke for a few weeks and I am wondering is there any shops worth a look while I am here.
    I am working and staying in the D2 area.

Cheers lads.

I live in Dublin - no great selection considering the population based here.

Here are ones I know of:

TALLAGHT ROD & GUN
    http://www.tallaghtrodandgun.com/

My local gun shop. Steve is okay & obliging.
    Gun room is in the back & you don't get in to see it ....he brings out a gun you may be interested in.
    2 storey shop but not much upstairs really...stores decoys, waders, etc. up there.
    Plenty of free parking outside shop.

COURTLOUGH SHOOTING GROUNDS
    http://www.courtlough.ie/

Shooting ground with variety of clays...sporting, DTL, Skeet, sub sonic cartridges range etc. , archery, .22LR range etc. and gun shop.

Guns can be hired if you didn't bring your own up...either o/u or .22LR if you just want to get in a bit of practice.

Very good gun room where everything is on display & priced. You can pick up any gun you want & try it for fit etc. If interested in a gun they'll let you fire a few shots at clay to see what it's like.

Front of the shop is an accessories section...clothing is the top end of the market mostly......quality but expensive!!!

Well worth a visit but it's in Balbriggan...about 30 minutes drive from where you are.

FINGAL SPORTS
    Christopher Lindsay
    Fingal Sports,
    Baldaragh,
    Naul,
    Co. Dublin
    086 2620243
    http://www.fingalsports.com

never been here!

LUCAN GUN SHOP
    Angling & Sporting Centre
    Ballydowd,
    Lucan,
    Co. Dublin

No website ........Pat Clinton can be hard to catch in the shop at times.....shooting /fishing shop with gun room in the back. He'll bring out any gun you're interested in.

MONKSTOWN
    Crescent Sports
    10A The Crescent,
    Monkstown,
    Co. Dublin
    Phone: (01)2808988

no website.......haven't been over here yet...always meaning to, but friends were impressed and said it's well worth the visit.....seeemily has a good selection & variety of guns in stock.

CITY CENTRE
    http://www.rorys.ie/content.php?ID=1

not really a shooting shop...mostly fishing, archery etc. but you may spot bits & pieces of accessories you like. In the city cente...Temple Bar...so if wandering around town you could drop in for a look.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/

not really shooting either.....but outdoor gear in general. Based in Dublin 2.....off Henry Street. They do quality outdoor gear...rucksacks, boots, handwarmers, insulated socks & gear, etc. so you may spot something to keep you warm while out hunting.

Millets Camping
    Outdoor Equipment
    61-62 Mary Street,
    Dublin 1

also do outdoor gear, in general.

There are also 2 Army Surplus shops on Capel Street, Dublin 2. Worth a browse around for handy shooting accessories.

http://armybargains.com/about-us.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

MONKSTOWN
    Crescent Sports
    10A The Crescent,
    Monkstown,
    Co. Dublin
    Phone: (01)2808988 (01)2808988
    no website.......haven't been over here yet...always meaning to, but friends were impressed and said it's well worth the visit.....seeemily has a good selection & variety of guns in stock.

Gentleman to deal with. All guns are in the gun room and no entry allowed. Across from the big church set back from the footpath.
    Parking across the road 'pay and Park'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

id stay away from the lucan gun shop, took a lad i no around a few shops lookin for a shotie and the guy in lucan couldnt have been less helpful or accomidating, wouldnt even tell the guy what he had in stock let alone show him!!

CG hobbies in celbridge, iv never bought anything there BUT i went in a couple of weeks ago to look at what they had in 223 and they have a nice selection of guns and the shop is also there trophy room from various hunting trips so some nice deer heads and some nice skins from different animals. I only stopped in for a quick look but ended up stayin for about an hourchattin to the lads. id recomend a trip there, not far outside town off the M4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

clivej wrote: »
    MONKSTOWN
    Crescent Sports
    10A The Crescent,
    Monkstown,
    Co. Dublin
    Phone: (01)2808988 (01)2808988

Gentleman to deal with. All guns are in the gun room and no entry allowed. Across from the big church set back from the footpath.
    Parking across the road 'pay and Park'

I was in with Neal last week looking at a SSG69 P1, not a massive selection but a lovely man to deal with. , he had an interesting M14 clone in 308.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

the only shop doing anything in shooting in the city centre is rorys in temple bar and they only really do ammunition , but is worth a visit if your are interested in fishing.
    there used to be a good few gun dealers shops around the city , they are all gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Thanks very much lads I will check some of them out during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Didn't realise Rory's did ammo. May have to stick my head in now...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Didn't realise Rory's did ammo. May have to stick my head in now...

Me neither. I'll definitely stick my head in now though, since it's very near to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Be interesting if they did - we got told years back when looking for a nearby source for the odd tin of pellets if DURC ran short that they hadn't carried ammunition for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Sparks wrote: »
    Be interesting if they did - we got told years back when looking for a nearby source for the odd tin of pellets if DURC ran short that they hadn't carried ammunition for some time.

That's cool the way ye call that stuff ammo like they are real bullets. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Why Dublin, Our Nations Capital, the Centre of the world......................

Have no decent Gunshops?

Yet Dublin has a huge % of licences received country wide thread?

I have to go to Dublin for almost everything EXCEPT ammo

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    That's cool the way ye call that stuff ammo like they are real bullets. :p
    Well, we figure if the jail sentence is in a real jail, we ought to call them like they're real bullets :p
    Why Dublin, Our Nations Capital, the Centre of the world......................
    Have no decent Gunshops?
    Because you can make more money doing almost anything else than you can being an RFD.
    Yet Dublin has a huge % of licences received country wide thread?
    Because Dublin has a higher population density than any other part of the country.

Now Sparks.
    There is money to be made as a RFD if you are a good sales person.

I know of one RFD who has expanded in the past 12 months in a RECESSION

Ironic that the Importer of Hornady & Nightforce is in Galway

Tack, that's crap. Ask any RFD. Our markets are too small, our sales times too long. Intershoot has already stated it here before - you're talking about single digit percentage profit margins at best. That won't pay the rent in Dublin.

Tack, that's crap. Ask any RFD. Our markets are too small, our sales times too long. Intershoot has already stated it here before - you're talking about single digit percentage profit margins at best. That won't pay the rent in Dublin.

Were you ever inside Gowan & Bradshaw?

Nope, just smaller RFDs in Meath and Dublin and Wicklow and Kilkenny.
    But I'm going to take Intershoot's word and the financials I've seen over your guess based on being in someone else's showroom, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Just a quick aside from a non-shooter. How long has Watts on Ormond Quay been closed for? I remember my Dad taking me in there years ago.

Got to be over twenty years ago Drake, it was closed when I started shooting in '94 and had been for some time at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Got to be over twenty years ago Drake, it was closed when I started shooting in '94 and had been for some time at that point.

That long ago! I remember my Dad telling me he bought his first shotgun there. I saw the old sign hanging out of the building when I was down that way a while ago and it jogged the memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

pat clinton in bedford row in temple bar went a few years ago too , he was more into fly fishing tackle with the odd gun in stock and ammo too .
    rorys still do ammo, or did until very recently (within the past 2 years) .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Drake66 wrote: »
    . How long has Watts on Ormond Quay been closed for? .
    Got to be over twenty years ago Drake,.............

Must be 1989 or 1990. My Father used to use them all the time, but it was around then that he started using a dealer in Lucan (cannot remember the name) and eventually using Griffin and Hawes in Athy as it was on the way back from visiting family down country.

Drake66 wrote: »
    That long ago! I remember my Dad telling me he bought his first shotgun there. I saw the old sign hanging out of the building when I was down that way a while ago and it jogged the memory.

They are still listed in some directories. Do a google search and they will come up under sports shops, etc. You would be waiting some time for a call back there. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

are they now dealing in the retail ????,

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

rowa wrote: »
    pat clinton in bedford row in temple bar went a few years ago too , he was more into fly fishing tackle with the odd gun in stock and ammo too .
    rorys still do ammo, or did until very recently (within the past 2 years) .

I think that you might mean Pat Cleere...

.243 wrote: »
    are they now dealing in the retail ????,

I meant they are making money.

Sole Importers of Hornady ammo and Nightforce scopes

Go into Dave Mullvihills in Ballymahon and you will be brought into a huge gunroom.

There is money, if you know how to do business

Sole Importers of Hornady ammo and Nightforce scopes
    Go into Dave Mullvihills in Ballymahon and you will be brought into a huge gunroom.
    There is money, if you know how to do business
    Due respect to them Tack, but I don't believe that for a moment.

Due respect to them Tack, but I don't believe that for a moment.

Sparks

Do you not think I would have tried to cut out the Middle man?

Hornady would not send me a baseball cap nor Nightforce a T-Shirt unless it went through G&B

Sewn up!

There is a decent mark up on a NF scope and they do not take up as much shelf space as clothing and us Irish only require 2-3 models of them

And Dave Mullivhill has a Large Selection of Peashooters a long with a nice selection of affordable rifles!

Embrace the Dark side sparks
    Head West of the Pale!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭marksman9999

GOWEN AND BRADSHAW are a whole sale compamy based in galway backed a guy in the states with a massive wallet, margins on firearms and ammo are generally around 30%, but most of that is eaten up buy dealers overdrafts waiting on licences to come through from AGS, which as we all know can take forevever, if ever they regulate the time it takes to process a firearms licence, dealers can allow for this in there pricing, until then we can pay through the nose for our hobby, ammo sales dont have the volume for bulk buyin that cant be obtained in the uk or europe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

......................There is money, if you know how to do business

Not from me and they don't.
    Sparks

Do you not think I would have tried to cut out the Middle man?
    !

Not hard enough.

A while ago i wanted a BR model NF scope and 2 sets of rings. Was told it would take 2 months minimum or i could pay a massive shipping fee to have it shipped in directly.

Cut out them and made a few calls. 4 days later had the 2 sets of rings and 6 days after that had the scope. Thats not looking after your customer base or good business in any sense of the word.

Most dealers i have spoken to tell me there is not a huge mark up on ammo especially cartridges. Whatever money can be made on guns is killed with the time it takes to get a firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement