Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack in Hillview

• 13-03-2011 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone hear anything about the attack last night in Hillview? From what I understand, 2 youths were attempting to rob a car - and when the owner came out to confront them, they attacked him and stabbed him a number of times.

Does anyone know if the man is ok? I heard he was a father, around 50 years old. Also, does anyone know if the scumbags were caught? Terrible to say that you can leave your car outside the house these days without some scumbags trying to steal it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hadnt heard anything about 1 last night but I heard about one up there a few nights ago.A man trying to interfere in a girl being chased got stabbed.
    Could be the same incident with different stories but I dunno :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Maybe it wasn't last night - but I only heard about it then, so I assumed it was last night. The story I heard was that he confronted car-thieves, so it may be a different case to the one you're referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

dlofnep wrote: »
    Maybe it wasn't last night - but I only heard about it then, so I assumed it was last night. The story I heard was that he confronted car-thieves, so it may be a different case to the one you're referring to.

It happened Friday night down in Chestnut Green. Someone interfering with his car and when he went to check out what was happening he got stabbed five times I think it was. Think he's ok and nobody was caught as far as I know. Very scary to see a massive rise in crime in the area. I can't get my head around not being safe in Hillview where I never thought anything of walking the dog at two in the morning or walking up from Comeragh Park at all hours.

I really hope the man is alright and that the bastards are caught.

Disgusting that, I hope they are caught too. Time to keep an eye on who's hanging around Hillview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Disgusting that, I hope they are caught too. Time to keep an eye on who's hanging around Hillview.

Yeah looks like it. I think neighbourhood watch type schemes might start popping up again. The most i ever remember seeing in Hillview is a few 14 or 15 year old wannabe scumbags like some of the lads that hang around by the chipper. You'd imagine the people who did this would be older and, therefore, stand out more so hopefully somebody has seen something.

Can't get my head around it though. If they wanted to rob a car, why choose Chestnut Green? It's deep into Hillview with only one way out and is in view of the houses opposite and a load of those on Pinewood Avenue too. The house where it happened isn't down in the corner either. Seems like the wort place ever to choose! Which would lead you to think it was just an opportunistic crime and that the person who did the stabbing carries a knife with them. Very scary.

• Advertisement

This was the same incident actually.Just got the full story of my mother(think theres a distant relation :/)
    He got a call from a neighbour about someone at his car.He went out and chased him off (it was 1 or 2 anyway).Down the road a bit 4 lads got out of a car and chased him.While running he fell and they stabbed him on the ground.Punctured lung and spleen but should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Madness, like Nkay only 6/7 years ago I would have thought nothing about walk from a session in Hillview back to Lismore park when I lived there at all hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd have trouble using my fists in a fight, let alone a knife. Very worrying that people carry knives seemingly for everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Did anyone hear anything about the attack last night in Hillview? From what I understand, 2 youths were attempting to rob a car - and when the owner came out to confront them, they attacked him and stabbed him a number of times.

Does anyone know if the man is ok? I heard he was a father, around 50 years old. Also, does anyone know if the scumbags were caught? Terrible to say that you can leave your car outside the house these days without some scumbags trying to steal it.

Hear hes going to be ok. 4 or 5 stab wounds dont know the weapon used. A number of cars were interfered with in the area. Its terrible but you cant risk going out to anyone these days with so many scumbags around.

Didn't hear about police catching anyone for it yet.

Hear hes going to be ok. 4 or 5 stab wounds dont know the weapon used. A number of cars were interfered with in the area. Its terrible but you cant risk going out to anyone these days with so many scumbags around.

If they do itll be the same thing.Multiple convictions, hard life, has child/going back to education/new job, suspended sentence/last chance.
    I dunno who deserves to be curb stomped more the scumbags/the judges or the solicitors

• Advertisement

I tell you one thing - if someone went at my car, I'd be quick to take a hurley to their head. No mistake about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

I tell you one thing - if someone went at my car, I'd be quick to take a hurley to their head. No mistake about it.
    a pick axe handle is lighter and better.

flutered wrote: »

Indeed, unfortunately it's not something I'd have ready to hand.

If they do itll be the same thing.Multiple convictions, hard life, has child/going back to education/new job, suspended sentence/last chance.
    I dunno who deserves to be curb stomped more the scumbags/the judges or the solicitors

Ultimate Chin your spot on. If the scumbags are caught nothing will really happen to them for all the reasons you gave.

Anyone out there agree with me that the so called justice system is a farce. Look at the fella found guilty last week of murdering the young fella and his dad in Kerry with a shotgun after falling out with the victim a few months before.

2 life sentences to run concurrently! What rubbish is that. He might do 10 or 12 years or less with 'good behaviour' and be out. He killed 2 people so he should 20 years for one then start 20 years for the other one.

And this other thing the judges say like 20 others offences were taken into account...I'll tell you what that means, it means the scumbags get off with all those offences scot free. The sentences, the judges and the whole system is crap in Ireland.

The criminal gets looked after better than the victims. Lock these criminals up for long sentences, one to follow the other because thats what they deserve.

My sympathy is for the VICTIMS not the Criminals. They deserve anything they get. Anyone with me on this.

flutered wrote: »

Sounds great but the cops and courts would do more to YOU than the scumbag trying to rob your house or car. You'd be taking the law into your own hands now wouldn't you! Couldn't have that...no just look after the scumbags and criminals and let the rest of society suffer at their hands.

You know the story,,, broken home, alcoholic father, high on drugs...any amount of excuses for them but now you with your pick axe handle defending your home and family...well you should know better. I'm afraid a stiff sentence for you is the only answer.

Then of course you'll be sued by the scumbag for assualt, causing mental stress etc. The scumbags at the top of this society and the scumbags at the bottom of society get looked after and all the rest of the descent people in between get screwed.

Some justice system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

The law is on their side and the Gardai aren't even bothered about putting effort into robberies any more as they rarely get any joy and when they do and bring a case to court they get off with it anyway and get a slap on the wrist for wrecking someones car or robbing their house and that person has to claim on insurance (if they have any, I didn't) and then watch their premium go up or fork out from their own savings if insurance doesn't cover it.

Had My house and car robbed in the space of 2 months last year.

2 caught in the car by Gardai with screwdriver, while hot wiring car. Nothing done to them. I haven't seen a penny for the new door and window and damage underneath steering wheel.

House robbed and the fool handed himself in because he thought he was caught. (Gardai had put no effort whatsoever into finding out who did it)
    He was on parole and went back to jail. Last I heard of it and again, nothing to compensate me for €3500 worth of possessions stolen including other half's grandmothers engagement ring and jewelery.

All of this has left me feeling very bitter and completely left down by the lack of justice in Ireland.

The next time someone comes near my car or my house I won't even blink, I'll be on top of them in a second with the baseball bat under my bed and I won't care if I get done for it because for the first time I'll have felt that I was the one in control of the situation and I'll feel like I handed out the justice that wouldn't have otherwise been handed out.

deisedevil wrote: »
    The law is on their side and the Gardai aren't even bothered about putting effort into robberies any more as they rarely get any joy and when they do and bring a case to court they get off with it anyway and get a slap on the wrist for wrecking someones car or robbing their house and that person has to claim on insurance (if they have any, I didn't) and then watch their premium go up or fork out from their own savings if insurance doesn't cover it.

Had My house and car robbed in the space of 2 months last year.

2 caught in the car by Gardai with screwdriver, while hot wiring car. Nothing done to them. I haven't seen a penny for the new door and window and damage underneath steering wheel.

House robbed and the fool handed himself in because he thought he was caught. (Gardai had put no effort whatsoever into finding out who did it)
    He was on parole and went back to jail. Last I heard of it and again, nothing to compensate me for €3500 worth of possessions stolen including other half's grandmothers engagement ring and jewelery.

All of this has left me feeling very bitter and completely left down by the lack of justice in Ireland.

The next time someone comes near my car or my house I won't even blink, I'll be on top of them in a second with the baseball bat under my bed and I won't care if I get done for it because for the first time I'll have felt that I was the one in control of the situation and I'll feel like I handed out the justice that wouldn't have otherwise been handed out.

I can see where your coming from the scumbags get off or light sentance and you pay the huge bills.

Did you consider sueing them for your losses. I know it might be hard to get money out of them but you never know. If you had hit any of them you'd be sued by them.

System is wrong they should be heavily punished by the law AND have to pay you compensation. Until we start standing up for ourselves and force the politicians and judges to change the law nothing will happen.

I'm sure everyone can see why people will take the law into their own hands to protect themselves and their families when its clear the broken down justice system in this country is doing nothing for them.

System is wrong they should be heavily punished by the law AND have to pay you compensation.

Couldn't agree more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Madness. I'm always walkign around at stupid o clock up here.
    Two lads tried to rob me neighbours scooter about 4 years ago. I chased them down the road and flattened one of them. Cops Came along then and said that if me neighbour wanted them arrested for the robbery that I would probably end up getting done aswell. Was some smack haha perfect connection. His friend started crying asking me not to hit him aswell.
    Good to hear your mans ok though

deisedevil wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more!

I suggest boards members lobby the new minister for justice for changes in the law like we're talking about. New brush sweeps clean and all that.

Lets try get something done about it..FG always saw themselves as the law and order party so lets put it up to them from the start.

Internet is a powerful tool as seen with Obama's election.

Is anyone up for this or what.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Two lads tried to rob me neighbours scooter about 4 years ago. I chased them down the road and flattened one of them. Cops Came along then and said that if me neighbour wanted them arrested for the robbery that I would probably end up getting done aswell. Was some smack haha perfect connection. His friend started crying asking me not to hit him aswell.

Good man yourself seany! :)

Good man yourself seany! :)
    You would have done the same. Actually your cousin went off in one direction looking for them and I went the other way.I was in bits boy. Haven't ran since lol

lol - glad to hear :) i'd say they were sh*ting it.

lol - glad to hear :) i'd say they were sh*ting it.
    Not at all. Your man ran at me. Probably why it was such a good slap lol

Fair play to ya!

If the did them for the robbery they would have got a slap on the wrist. You could have got jail. At least with the smack you gave him he had something to remember.

Not at all. Your man ran at me. Probably why it was such a good slap lol

lol, idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ultimate Chin your spot on. If the scumbags are caught nothing will really happen to them for all the reasons you gave.

Anyone out there agree with me that the so called justice system is a farce. Look at the fella found guilty last week of murdering the young fella and his dad in Kerry with a shotgun after falling out with the victim a few months before.

2 life sentences to run concurrently! What rubbish is that. He might do 10 or 12 years or less with 'good behaviour' and be out. He killed 2 people so he should 20 years for one then start 20 years for the other one.

And this other thing the judges say like 20 others offences were taken into account...I'll tell you what that means, it means the scumbags get off with all those offences scot free. The sentences, the judges and the whole system is crap in Ireland.

The criminal gets looked after better than the victims. Lock these criminals up for long sentences, one to follow the other because thats what they deserve.

My sympathy is for the VICTIMS not the Criminals. They deserve anything they get. Anyone with me on this.

Shocking stuff lads, but it is something that we are seeing in every part of Ireland now.

There was a court case in Limerick this week, and a guy was convicted. He had 161 prior convictions to his name, yes that is 161, and a number of other ones pending.

The poor dear decided on his 162nd conviction to claim that he is now suffering from ADHD,and that should be taken into account for his latest conviction and any future ones.

Just a joke that a person can rack up so many convictions for robbery, assaults, drugs and various other crimes and continue to keep getting out after either short sentectes or just get suspened sentences.

Another incident in Limerick this week was the arrest of four scumbags who were caught red handed coming back to retake a stoken car by the Gardai.

The Gardai had rocks and other various items bounced off of them by the scumbags and other scum that lived in the area. Yet the four scumbags were released and the locals in that area were whinging about their rights and how the gardai were rough after getting hit by rocks.

One thing the government could do, well imho anyway, is take some of the money used for NAMA or some of the EU bailout money, and pour money into building new prisons. It would give work to those from the construction industry that are out of work at present, and when finished it would free up plenty of space so that criminals could start serving prioper time for crimes.

But I have a feeling the same old story will continue with the actual victims of crime getting the short end of what is meant to be justice, with the scum getting to reoffend over and over because they know there is no real punishment coming.

Sorry to invade the Waterford forum with this post, but I often read this forum along with the Cork, Kerry and Limerick ones, and the thread topic moved me to pass comment.

Well done seaniebiker...good stuff. Typical of the cops though you could be done....this country is crap for victims and heaven for criminals

161 jaysus. Death penalty. Fook it. I know he didn't murder anyone but with that amount of convictions it would be cheaper in the long run to kill him. Give a local chap a days work building the gallows

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Shocking stuff lads, but it is something that we are seeing in every part of Ireland now.

There was a court case in Limerick this week, and a guy was convicted. He had 161 prior convictions to his name, yes that is 161, and a number of other ones pending.

The poor dear decided on his 162nd conviction to claim that he is now suffering from ADHD,and that should be taken into account for his latest conviction and any future ones.

Just a joke that a person can rack up so many convictions for robbery, assaults, drugs and various other crimes and continue to keep getting out after either short sentectes or just get suspened sentences.

Another incident in Limerick this week was the arrest of four scumbags who were caught red handed coming back to retake a stoken car by the Gardai.

The Gardai had rocks and other various items bounced off of them by the scumbags and other scum that lived in the area. Yet the four scumbags were released and the locals in that area were whinging about their rights and how the gardai were rough after getting hit by rocks.

One thing the government could do, well imho anyway, is take some of the money used for NAMA or some of the EU bailout money, and pour money into building new prisons. It would give work to those from the construction industry that are out of work at present, and when finished it would free up plenty of space so that criminals could start serving prioper time for crimes.

But I have a feeling the same old story will continue with the actual victims of crime getting the short end of what is meant to be justice, with the scum getting to reoffend over and over because they know there is no real punishment coming.

Sorry to invade the Waterford forum with this post, but I often read this forum along with the Cork, Kerry and Limerick ones, and the thread topic moved me to pass comment.

You're welcome anytime as someone who is supporting the victims and not the scumbags. I agree with the building of prisons we need lots of them and plenty of work for the unemployed construction workers.

Limerick is a perfect example of serious crime and practically nothing done to help the people. 161 previous convictions...bet he'll make the 200. He should get out in about 40 years if there's any justice.

We need to get a campaign going on this across the country... Justice for Victims as a slogan maybe....simple but to the point

Advertisement