Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack in Hillview

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Did anyone hear about someone getting stabbed in town a few days ago? I heard on the grapevine that one of the lads involved stabbed some passerby. From what I heard, he was so out of it on drugs that he did more damage to himself.

What is it with stabbing people lately? When I was growing up, scumbags might give you a couple of slaps but they would never think of pulling a knife. It seems to be far too common these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was thinking, would privately owned prisons work? Say it wouldn't surely cost hundreds of millions to build one and the government/inmates could pay so much for the sentence as well as they could make **** for free that the prison would sell?

Only an idea mind. I think a three stile rule is a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Wouldnt like to see that happen . They have them in the States and I think there are big problems with corruption of judges etc.
    ziedth wrote: »
    I was thinking, would privately owned prisons work? Say it wouldn't surely cost hundreds of millions to build one and the government/inmates could pay so much for the sentence as well as they could make **** for free that the prison would sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

ziedth wrote: »

They profit from the prisoner re offending, I think that idea falls down about there.

Post 666! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! DEATHY DEATH!

Too much corruption with privately owned prisons. There have been numerous cases in the states with them. One judge was in cahoots with the prison owner and was sentencing people to prison time for the pettiest of crimes. I think one inmate committed suicide because of it because he wasn't able to deal with being sentenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

dlofnep wrote: »
    Did anyone hear about someone getting stabbed in town a few days ago? I heard on the grapevine that one of the lads involved stabbed some passerby. From what I heard, he was so out of it on drugs that he did more damage to himself.

What is it with stabbing people lately? When I was growing up, scumbags might give you a couple of slaps but they would never think of pulling a knife. It seems to be far too common these days.

suppose if twas limerik or dublin people would be gettin shot instead which methinks is a lot easier to do than stick somone...

unfortunatley the stabbed guys son owed money to the scumbags i heard that is why they trgeted the car...

Hoffmans wrote: »

unfortunatley the stabbed guys son owed money to the scumbags i heard that is why they trgeted the car...

While this seems to be the case, the father isn't responsible for his son's action or debts. In any case, they are scumbags and should be locked away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

I've noticed people say "things were'nt as bad when I was a young fella... ---or-- ...the town is gone to the dogs etc. etc" but looking back surely there was always a nasty element in every community down through the decades. I'm in my late 30's & recall can clearly recall a "scumbag / hard man" element in the town in my lifetime. Anyone around in the early 90's will remember outside Supermacs/Red Square late night @ the weekend after the discos emptied. T'was like the wild west revisited! Certain areas had a bad reputation & were avoided. The only difference these days is that everything is sensationalised & a person can't sneeze or look sideways before someone is taking a photo on their mobile, posting it on facebook, or starting a thread on a msg board.

Of course there was always scumbags - But I don't remember people getting stabbed so frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Of course there was always scumbags - But I don't remember people getting stabbed so frequently.

Of course no one remembers... no one ever heard the stories! Nobody had a mobile phone, there were was no internet as we know it, no social network sites etc.

• Advertisement

Of course no one remembers... no one ever heard the stories! Nobody had a mobile phone, there were was no internet as we know it, no social network sites etc.

We still had papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That must be the chap who went to hospital himself and got arrested so.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Yep, I know the guy. I wouldn't say he did more damage to himself as the guy got a fair hiding as well as being stabbed. But at least the cops got a few of them.

Probably should clarify that I know the guy that got attacked/stabbed, and not the little cnut that did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ratedR wrote: »
    Yep, I know the guy. I wouldn't say he did more damage to himself as the guy got a fair hiding as well as being stabbed. But at least the cops got a few of them.

Probably should clarify that I know the guy that got attacked/stabbed, and not the little cnut that did it.

Yeah I heard he got a right hiding alright. Was that just an innocent person walking along kind of thing yeah because that's how it was portrayed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah I heard he got a right hiding alright. Was that just an innocent person walking along kind of thing yeah because that's how it was portrayed to me.
    feck sake. Hates sheite like that. Glad someone got caught for it though. I presume it was one fella getting hopped on by more than one person?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

nkay1985 wrote: »

Absolutely, wrong place, wrong time. He was walking his girlfriend home. As they walked past them, one of the group said something, but the couple kept their heads down and tried to walk on. You can imagine the rest. She even got a slap in the mellee.

I was told that the man and his girlfriend walked past - the lad who was with his girlfriend called them scumbags, so they attacked him.

This didn't make sense to me because who in their right mind would taunt a bunch of scumbags while walking past them with your girlfriend? Doesn't make sense. In anycase - I know the guy who did it, and he's always caked out of his head on drugs. Hope your friend is ok and that he presses charges to the full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

bullpost wrote: »
    I think the big problem with this is the cost.

With the increased levels of scumbaggery these days I'd say we'd need to open a fair few new jails and employ lots more staff to man them. Problem is if people were asked to contribute the necessary taxes to do this properly they'd probably say no.

But what about the cost of not locking them away. You have to pay for extra Gardai on the beat, security cameras, ambulances, constant court appearances.

As I suggested before, pick one of the blasket islands, seal the beaches off with barbed wire, and just helicopter drop the fvckers on the island. They won't do much harm then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 BlueBlaa

So this was organised crime if 4 lads were waiting in a car. What kind of criminals would do that though. I think that neighbourhood watch is a good idea for a start but is there something more substantial which we can organise to combat this. its obvious that the system in place does not deter criminality they will only get fined or suspended sentences and the victim pays the real price.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

BlueBlaa wrote: »
    So this was organised crime if 4 lads were waiting in a car. What kind of criminals would do that though. I think that neighbourhood watch is a good idea for a start but is there something more substantial which we can organise to combat this. its obvious that the system in place does not deter criminality they will only get fined or suspended sentences and the victim pays the real price.

Thats always been the way in this country. Any amount of help for scumbag criminals and practically nothing for the victims. Problem is if the general public or a group of people do anything about it the cops are after them more than the criminals.

People taking the law into their own hands and all that. I support building loads more prisons, locking scumbags up for long sentences without early release. This will employ lots of construction worlers generating income and taxes, while also employing lots more proson officers.

We also save on the effects of crime, less cops, less midical costs, less pain and suffering for victims of crime.

We're too soft as a society on criminals. They need to pay heavily for what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m1se

A lot of people who are regulars in the prison system do not care about anything or anyone. Anyone who is sent to prison should have to pay a "prison tax". It could be a deduction from their dole of 10 or 15% for the same length of their sentence, when they get out eg. if in prison for 1 year when they get out their dole will be be 10% less for a year. They get too much too easy in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

In regards to cost, surely if something like this was done right, it would combat crime, imprison more, and certainly wouldn't be too expensive.

We need some solutions with tackling criminality and reverse the trend. Tougher law better trained and equiped Gardai. The Gardai budget has been cut. So any fines on Criminals should go to victims and Gardai, CAB should be siezing these organised gangs assets and selling them for more fund to tackle crime, seize the illegal drugs etc and sell them on. For example to countries like Amsterdamwere were cannibas is legal. Obviouly hard drugs could be used in the medical industry if they could be refined. If more money is the solution then thats were criminals feel the pain more than anything.

m1se wrote: »
    A lot of people who are regulars in the prison system do not care about anything or anyone. Anyone who is sent to prison should have to pay a "prison tax". It could be a deduction from their dole of 10 or 15% for the same length of their sentence, when they get out eg. if in prison for 1 year when they get out their dole will be be 10% less for a year. They get too much too easy in prison.

That will just cause more crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Ye need to elect/hire Rudy Giuliani and get tough on scumbags and numbnuts!

chelloveks wrote: »
    Ye need to elect/hire Rudy Giuliani and get tough on scumbags and numbnuts!
    This is true we need to elect those who promise taking a hardline with crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

That will just cause more crime.

Maybe it will but I think its a good idea to penalise criminals when they get out of prison. 10% or 15% reduction in dole is a good way to do it. Also this business of earning money small as it is while in prison should stop. If these criminals want goodies from the shop then let their families give them the money.

The whole system needs to be toughened up.

Maybe it will but I think its a good idea to penalise criminals when they get out of prison. 10% or 15% reduction in dole is a good way to do it. Also this business of earning money small as it is while in prison should stop. If these criminals want goodies from the shop then let their families give them the money.

The whole system needs to be toughened up.

Penalising them won't change them. We need to start focusing on changing people and how they feel about themselves. If people see themselves as lower-class and not worth much, they are going to act it. We need to start providing opportunities for them to educate themselves, to put them in a prime position for employment, and actively facilitate and encourage education.

I can tell you for alot of scumbags, they act like that because they feel there is no alternatives. They feel like society already looks down on them, so they forget about having self-respect.

It's a social issue, and needs to be tackled with a social mind. You can lock people up - but unless you rehabilitate them, it's really just a temporary solution. When they get out, they will be at it again, and trust me - cutting 10% of their dole won't change that.

Some scumbags should just go to jail to be punished, like those involved in this attack. But others, such as petty thieves, or drug abusers should be offered as much assistance as possible to get back on their feet and become a productive member of society.

It's not just as easy as punishing people. That won't change them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Back to topic,anyone know how that gentleman is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Penalising them won't change them. We need to start focusing on changing people and how they feel about themselves. If people see themselves as lower-class and not worth much, they are going to act it. We need to start providing opportunities for them to educate themselves, to put them in a prime position for employment, and actively facilitate and encourage education.

I can tell you for alot of scumbags, they act like that because they feel there is no alternatives. They feel like society already looks down on them, so they forget about having self-respect.

It's a social issue, and needs to be tackled with a social mind. You can lock people up - but unless you rehabilitate them, it's really just a temporary solution. When they get out, they will be at it again, and trust me - cutting 10% of their dole won't change that.

Some scumbags should just go to jail to be punished, like those involved in this attack. But others, such as petty thieves, or drug abusers should be offered as much assistance as possible to get back on their feet and become a productive member of society.

It's not just as easy as punishing people. That won't change them.

On the other hand, maybe the best way to build up that self respect would be to tie them to the bullpost in Ballybricken and let people have a go at them as they walk by. Matbe have an assortment of toys on a rack to utilize for the sessions! If they can take a good hidin that would build up their self esteem nicely....and think of the fun the folks who have been victimized could have....like the French Revolution in Eire!!! I'd come over just to have a whack at em myself.

Advertisement