Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get a piece of metal angle-grinded

• 13-03-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I've got this piece of cast iron and it's got these little bits protruding on the back that i'd like to get grinded down.
    It's a small job but i don't have an anglegrinder.

Is there anyone or anyplace that can do this for me ?

I'm in south dublin city.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jman0war wrote: »
    I've got this piece of cast iron and it's got these little bits protruding on the back that i'd like to get grinded down.

Any decent builders providers,HSS or Sam Hire will hire an angle grinder out to you for around 20-25 euro for a day.

Also wear protective gloves and glasses or a full face shield,some ear plugs too

Simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Any Metal or Welding shop will do it for very little charge. They may even do it for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You'll buy a cheap grinder for 20 Euro these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Thanks for the replies.

It's a one off job, but it's not worth 20-25€.
    Don't want to spend 20€ to buy one for a one-off job like this.

Where would i find a metal or welding shop in S dublin city?

Thanks for the replies.

It's a one off job, but it's not worth 20-25€.
    Don't want to spend 20€ to buy one for a one-off job like this.

Where would i find a metal or welding shop in S dublin city?

You will have to give money to the welding shop or metal fabricators to do this for you.

People dont work for nothing these days,you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If your not willing to spend €20 on an angle grinder you could just buy a file and file them off. Should be able to get a file for less than €5 ;)

On another note, I bought a cheap angle grinder 15 years ago and the thing is still going strong. I had to cut 2 inches off the cable as it broke just where it enters the handle, but this thing just keeps going.

paddy147 wrote: »
    You will have to give money to the welding shop or metal fabricators to do this for you.

People dont work for nothing these days,you know.
    Like i said it's a small job.
    It's not worth 20€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If you have an electric drill you could buy a small carborondum wheel for it and use this to grind the areas, presuming they are small. Probably cost less than €5.

Like i said it's a small job.
    It's not worth 20€.

Well then dont get the job done and stick with the metal the way it is.

I suppose that you dont have a hacksaw or a file and are too scabby to buy a cheap one of each and do the job yourself aswell this way.

Im sure you will say no to the above suggestion and still expect work done by a metal fabrication shop for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I'm south Dublin (ballinteer) if you drop over to my place i'll do it for free. I'm off shift now till next tuesday so anytime you want i should be around. Send me a pm and i'll give you a contact if you want

• Advertisement

I'm south Dublin (ballinteer) if you drop over to my place i'll do it for free. I'm off shift now till next tuesday so anytime you want i should be around. Send me a pm and i'll give you a contact if you want
    Thanks very much for your offer.
    I'd give you a few quid.

But a friend of a friend has an anglegrinder and i'm heading over there this weekend.

No thanks to paddy147, let me guess, a taxi driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

I'd give you a few quid.

But a friend of a friend has an anglegrinder and i'm heading over there this weekend.

Good man Paddy147 jayzus you're making new friends everywhere this weather it sounds like post project blues to me :pac: :D

I'd give you a few quid.

Taxi Driver??

Where or how in the hell did you come up with that?:confused:

And also,what would be wrong with being a taxi driver,as a profession??????

Please explain.

I actually work in the construction and IT sector,and have done so for that last 14 years.

Sorry but you come accross as a bit of a cheapskate who is too lazy and cant be bothered to do it himself (post history),yet who wants something done by someone else for nothing,and thats not how the world works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

I'd give you a few quid.

i heard he is a sparks teaboy and part time camera boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just buy a file and have at it.

Unless of course you can't justify paying €5 for a file. In that case your best bet is to just hope it rusts off.

jj build wrote: »
    i heard he is a sparks teaboy and part time camera boy

Im reporting you to moderators for constant abuse and slandering my name on various threads now.There is only so much I will put up with from you,before I have to do something about it.

Get a life,cop on and grow up for god sake.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

jj build, try not to wind up the other posters please, thank you.

delly wrote: »
    jj build, try not to wind up the other posters please, thank you.
    Sorry about that Delly ,he came to me in the first place trying to have a go i thought he could take what he gives obviously not,
    i dident come here for this i have over 20years exp as a builder i was on this a long time ago and i was very helpfull and thats what intend to do, thanks.

Im reporting you to moderators for constant abuse and slandering my name on various threads now.There is only so much I will put up with from you,before I have to do something about it.

Get a life,cop on and grow up for god sake.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY paddy:D

Sorry about that Delly ,he came to me in the first place trying to have a go i thought he could take what he gives obviously not,
    i dident come here for this i have over 20years exp as a builder i was on this a long time ago and i was very helpfull and thats what intend to do, thanks.

So you have 20 years building expericnce,thats great.

But there are alot of people here on this forum with alot more experience in the building and construction industry than you,yet they dont post or act like you do.So hense me saying to you to cop on and grow up.

You obviously are a mature,grown man and not some kid,so try acting and posting like a propper mature,grown man and not resort to your stupid little bitchy and mocking,slanderous posts about me,my house,me being a houseowner,my investments,my heating system and its energy usage or anything like that.

• Advertisement

Of course there is but they dont get pounced on by you because you know there not newbies, now will you give it a rest and leave it at that .

Of course there is but they dont get pounced on by you because you know there not newbies, now will you give it a rest and leave it at that .

Nothing to do with being a newbie,and it was never about that either.

Right so,lets call it "water under the bridge" and leave it be now.

Have a good day.
    Regards.

Nothing to do with being a newbie,and it was never about that either.

Right so,lets call it "water under the bridge" and leave it be now.

Have a good day.
    Regards.
    you too

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Anyway I wonder if the OP got his bit o metal sorted? :p

Should've just left it here and the banter would a wore it off :pac:

Just buy a file and have at it.

Unless of course you can't justify paying €5 for a file. In that case your best bet is to just hope it rusts off.
    No, you and that other freakshow are making presumptions about the job that are wrong, and assumptions about me that are baseless.

It's not about spending money, or being too "cheap" to do so. It's about not having to possess material possessions unecessarily.
    You see, unlike yourself i try to keep my material possessions to a minimum. This is because i don't particularly like consumerism and i intend on emigrating.

This is why i don't want to purchase an anglegrinder or a file, because it's only going to be used once. Then it will either be thrown into a bin, or it will sit there and rust for the next unknown numbers of years. Or, id have to make additional arrangments (and additional cost, consumption of energy resources etc) to discard it, or sell it.

Why people like you insist on making your presumptions about things is totally beyond me.

Have a read of that paddy's posts. He automatically presumes the job is worth more and 20€, that i'm too cheap or lazy to do it myself, and that i'm too cheap to buy the item. All completely baseless presumptions that are, a little retarded. He sounds like a grumpy taxi driver that is "owed" a decent living.

It's not about spending money, or being too "cheap" to do so. It's about not having to possess material possessions unecessarily.
    You see, unlike yourself i try to keep my material possessions to a minimum. This is because i don't particularly like consumerism and i intend on emigrating.
    So how exactly do you hope to do what you want to achieve seeing as you don't have the tools.

If you even found a metal fabricating shop to do it for you it would cost €10 or so for their time. I don't see how spending €5 on a very useful tool is in anyway unreasonable. If you don't want to have a lot of material possessions (Shock horror) then just throw the file away straight after using it.

So how exactly do you hope to do what you want to achieve seeing as you don't have the tools.
    I'm taking lend of the tools. If you read page 1 you'd know that.
    If you even found a metal fabricating shop to do it for you it would cost €10 or so for their time.
    I'm sure that's something the guy at the metal shop and I could come to an agreement over. Sans your opinion.
    I don't see how spending €5 on a very useful tool is in anyway unreasonable. If you don't want to have a lot of material possessions (Shock horror) then just throw the file away straight after using it.
    Read my post above. I mentioned something about "consumerism" and owning crap unnecessarily.
    Evidently you don't get it.

Read my post above. I mentioned something about "consumerism" and owning crap unnecessarily.
    Evidently you don't get it.
    No, evidently I do get it. It's you who has a flawed understanding of the word "consumerism".

Consumers exchange money for product. A product is defined as a tangible good or a service. I don't know about you but i'd call getting a workshop to grind down some cast iron a service.

This is a DIY forum, isn't it? Naturally people would recommend you to buy a file for €5 and do the job yourself rather than drive all around the city with a block of cast iron trying to find a workshop that will do it for you.

Look, i've explained to you why i don't want to purchase an item unnecessarily. I don't really see what it has to do with you, or what makes you think your opinion is something i give a crap about.

My OP is as follows:

The only thing i'm looking for, is someone or someplace that can grind this yoke down. I have that now, no thanks to people like you.

I certainly don't require self-rightous internet pesonalities making presumptions and judgements about me over my intention to have a person or shop grind a piece of metal down.

Now would you do us all a favor and STFU?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Two separate infractions for jman0war for abusive posts. paddy147 and jj build sorted there issues, but it is unfortunate that the OP decided to go down the route of giving abuse. Thread is now closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement