Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan - Misawa AFB survives

Options
  • 13-03-2011 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Sky News showing images of a Japanese F-16 and another aircraft embedded in air base buildings at what I assume is Matsushima Airfield in northeastern Japan.

There is another large air base neary called Misawa which seems to have survived. It's a joint AFB with the Americans and there seems to be an an American Forces Netword radio station there and this video was taken by their staff as the earthquake struck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpRI4V2irRM

I was looking at the AFN Masawi Facebook page earlier and there's questions from people wondering if the base post office is open or not!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Japan don't have F-16s, they are F-2s. They are based on the F-16C/D Block 40s but are slighty bigger, different wings and canopy design and with a load of other changes. There is some amazing pics of them on f-16.net with them in buildings and hangers but shockingly some are still parked up on the ramps. Looks like most can be repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Japan don't have F-16s, they are F-2s. They are based on the F-16C/D Block 40s but are slighty bigger, different wings and canopy design and with a load of other changes. There is some amazing pics of them on f-16.net with them in buildings and hangers but shockingly some are still parked up on the ramps. Looks like most can be repaired.

Was wondering why I couldn't find F-16 on their order of battle! The aircraft on the news didn't look badly damaged other than being wedged up against buildings.

Would be be salvagable after being immersed in salt water? Electronics must be destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

BrianD wrote: »
    Would be be salvagable after being immersed in salt water? Electronics must be destroyed.

I would imagine that they would start up as they are without a problem. Military jets are designed to work in all weather, enviormental conditions and some designed to float in water after crashing in the sea. I'd imagine all that would be needed is to clear debris from the air intakes but not much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

seanmacc wrote: »
    I would imagine that they would start up as they are without a problem. Military jets are designed to work in all weather, enviormental conditions and some designed to float in water after crashing in the sea. I'd imagine all that would be needed is to clear debris from the air intakes but not much more.

They may be designed to operate in salt water conditions but I doubt that includes the entire aircraft and avionics being immersed in salt water.

Assuming that the avionics are destroyed what parts would be reusable?

Advertisement