Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting An Exemption From irish

Options
  • 13-03-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am in 5th year at the moment doing Ordinary Level Irish. I was born in South Africa and moved to Ireland with my parents when I was 9 years old. My parents are not Irish either. I am still a South African Citizen at the moment too but my application for Irish Citizenship is in the pipes (it will be another year still before it goes through).
    When my parents enquired about getting an exemption from Irish when we first moved here, my mom was told over the phone that it was not possible.

So 8 years later I asked my principle after class about it; I still need to talk to him proper about it (he wants me to come into him tomorrow and have a chat about it, he was really sound about it) . But what I would like to know is: Is there any chance? He did say to me that because I got high marks in pass Irish in the Junior Cert., the chances are slim. But now in 5th year I am struggling, in the JC I just learnt off phrases and that got me through. It is my worst subject and I don't see any point in doing it anymore as I am already doing 8 subjects for LC. I there is any chance or anything else I need to know before going in tomorrow please share.

I have already researched it and I can see that I can apply to each university for an exemption: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/ExemptionsApplform092010.pdf
    For Exemption from Irish only Candidates born outside the Republic of Ireland (but who are living in the Republic of Ireland)

But I would prefer one from the Dept. of Education so it is less room for mistakes.

And lets just say for talks sake I do get the exemption from the Dept. of Education, will this limit me in any way with regards to a University Application?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The cut off is 11 years of age, any younger and you would have got away with it, but now the chances are low especially having managed the JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Although the cut off is 11, I have known people who still got an exemption even though they moved when they were around 10, and did Junior Cert Irish. It's no guarentee and I wouldn't bank on it, but it's worth a try I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Hey there is no cut. It's all a lie (dramatic voice). I was 5 when I moved here from England. My parents are Irish, I've an Irish passport, Irish citizen and I got an exemption around January of 6th year. I rang the NUI people or whatever, and they said to just send in my birth cert and a cover note. Basically, as long as you were born out side of Ireland you're exempt.

Also, this is having sat Junior cert Irish, and it in my first Leaving cert. (I had to repeat it as you have to repeat every subject for Medicine...).

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Thanks everyone. I also have a stammer so that might help me case too. But I will post here about how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SiobhainD

theowen wrote: »
    Hey there is no cut. It's all a lie (dramatic voice). I was 5 when I moved here from England. My parents are Irish, I've an Irish passport, Irish citizen and I got an exemption around January of 6th year. I rang the NUI people or whatever, and they said to just send in my birth cert and a cover note. Basically, as long as you were born out side of Ireland you're exempt.

Also, this is having sat Junior cert Irish, and it in my first Leaving cert. (I had to repeat it as you have to repeat every subject for Medicine...).
    my mum told me that recently aswell but i know a girl from Nigeria who struggeled to get an exemption because she was 10 when she came. Im in the same situation as you but i was only a few months old when I moved and both my parents are irish. Did you do special english classes or something at that time? Thats what they offer to foreign nationals in my school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 P_mcgrath

SiobhainD wrote:
    theowen wrote:

my mum told me that recently aswell but i know a girl from Nigeria who struggeled to get an exemption because she was 10 when she came. Im in the same situation as you but i was only a few months old when I moved and both my parents are irish. Did you do special english classes or something at that time? Thats what they offer to foreign nationals in my school

Hi there, there are lots of different types of exemption. A dept of ed exemption and nui exemptions do pretty much exactly the same thing as regards university entrance. The difference is, and this is important, that if you have a DES exemption, you are not required to attend Irish class. With an nui exemption, you are.
    The nui exemption process has changed, you no longer send a cover letter but you must send a form that has been signed by your principal with your birth cert.

Don't forget to inform the cao of your exemptions!!! Good luck, hope this helps.

Hi all,
    I am in 5th year at the moment doing Ordinary Level Irish. I was born in South Africa and moved to Ireland with my parents when I was 9 years old. My parents are not Irish either. I am still a South African Citizen at the moment too but my application for Irish Citizenship is in the pipes (it will be another year still before it goes through).
    When my parents enquired about getting an exemption from Irish when we first moved here, my mom was told over the phone that it was not possible.

So 8 years later I asked my principle after class about it; I still need to talk to him proper about it (he wants me to come into him tomorrow and have a chat about it, he was really sound about it) . But what I would like to know is: Is there any chance? He did say to me that because I got high marks in pass Irish in the Junior Cert., the chances are slim. But now in 5th year I am struggling, in the JC I just learnt off phrases and that got me through. It is my worst subject and I don't see any point in doing it anymore as I am already doing 8 subjects for LC. I there is any chance or anything else I need to know before going in tomorrow please share.

I have already researched it and I can see that I can apply to each university for an exemption: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/ExemptionsApplform092010.pdf
    For Exemption from Irish only Candidates born outside the Republic of Ireland (but who are living in the Republic of Ireland)

But I would prefer one from the Dept. of Education so it is less room for mistakes.

And lets just say for talks sake I do get the exemption from the Dept. of Education, will this limit me in any way with regards to a University Application?[/Quot

Also, I forgot to mention that there are exemptions on the grounds of specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia.

Thanks everyone. I also have a stammer so that might help me case too. But I will post here about how it goes
    by the way, I am a school Principal and you should know that if you are sitting a foreign language and have a speech impediment, if you can provide evidence, eg speech therapist report, you may well be entitled to an exemption from the oral. I have found this to be really helpful as an oral is very stressful at the best of times, but if you have a stammer, for some students in this situation, the oral exam is a nightmare. The dept of ed are very understanding in these circumstances.
    If you need any more information, let me know or pm me. If I can help, I will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

A guy in my year was born in Sri Lanka because his dad was there on work for something like 6 months, he's exempt.

Superbus wrote: »
    A guy in my year was born in Sri Lanka because his dad was there on work for something like 6 months, he's exempt.

Yes he has an exemption, but it's from NUI as explained above. Doesn't matter whether he was there for 6 years or 6 minutes, he has a birth cert saying that he was born outside 26 counties so can have an nui exemption. But school can require that he attends Irish class, even if he is not sitting it in leaving, as he doesn't have a DES exemption. Unless the school is non dept of education, ie a "grind" school....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 d_ryan

P_mcgrath wrote: »
    Yes he has an exemption, but it's from NUI as explained above. Doesn't matter whether he was there for 6 years or 6 minutes, he has a birth cert saying that he was born outside 26 counties so can have an nui exemption. But school can require that he attends Irish class, even if he is not sitting it in leaving, as he doesn't have a DES exemption. Unless the school is non dept of education, ie a "grind" school....

Currently in 6th year, both my parents are Irish however emigrated about 20 years ago to Canada where I was born but only lived there for 6 months before returning to and staying in Ireland. I go to a normal sencondary school (not a grind school) and I did honours JC irish and got a B but am currently struggling with ordinary level Irish as its so time consuming and really doesnt differ that much from Honours Level as far as I can see (dropped to Ordinary Level Christmas of 5th year).
    With the full support of my parents and teachers I have no problem getting an NUI exemption from Irish but is there any means I can get a department of education exemption? The points I need for the course I want to do next year are in the high 500's and I desperately need the free classes and extra time to study. Is there any way this is feasible?
    Or even with just an NUI exemption can I get the free classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

d_ryan wrote: »
    Currently in 6th year, both my parents are Irish however emigrated about 20 years ago to Canada where I was born but only lived there for 6 months before returning to and staying in Ireland. I go to a normal sencondary school (not a grind school) and I did honours JC irish and got a B but am currently struggling with ordinary level Irish as its so time consuming and really doesnt differ that much from Honours Level as far as I can see (dropped to Ordinary Level Christmas of 5th year).
    With the full support of my parents and teachers I have no problem getting an NUI exemption from Irish but is there any means I can get a department of education exemption? The points I need for the course I want to do next year are in the high 500's and I desperately need the free classes and extra time to study. Is there any way this is feasible?
    Or even with just an NUI exemption can I get the free classes?

If you have an exemption from Irish from NUI then you can drop to foundation Irish for your LC, wont look brilliant on your CV but if you have a degree then I doubt many will care, as long as your not looking for a job that requires Irish.

Foundation Irish is about as easy as any exam possibly can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 f1495

theowen wrote: »

But my carrer guidance teacher said If I don't get an exemption form from the department , I will be considred fail in my leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 f1495

I am so confused I really want a exemption I was not born here , I moved here when I was like 6 , and I did Irish for my J.c and got a B. But I hate it, I don't need it, I want to do medicine and I have enough with the H-path and UCAST how do I get an Exemption / HELP thank you

Hi all,

And lets just say for talks sake I do get the exemption from the Dept. of Education, will this limit me in any way with regards to a University Application?

Hi there,
    I am a school Principal and regularly process exemptions.
    Firstly, there are two types, Dept of Ed and NUI.
    Based on the fact that you were born outside of the 26 counties, i.e. Republic of Ireland, you can be granted an NUI expiation from Irish for the purposes of entry to University.
    Important to note - this does not apply to a third language so you must present French/Spanish/German or your choice of language.
    Also, your school will probably ask that you sit in the Irish class, even if you are not doing the subject for Leaving Cert. This is because you don't qualify for a DES exemption.

Just go to www.nui.ie, download the form, fill it out, send back with a copy of your birth certificate. You will have your exemption back within a week I would imagine. I have contact with NUI on a regular basis and they are super. Applications are processed thoroughly and quickly.
    Hope this helps, it is a really straightforward process. If you need any more help, let me know.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vamplover97

Hi i'm 16 and am in TY. I'm about to go into 5th Year and am very stressed about Irish. I was born in South Africa and moved here when i was 3. I applied for my NUI exemption and got it last week. I am having a meting with my principal tomorrow but she is an ex Irish teacher and fairly unreasonable, so i can't see it going that well. I was wondering is there any way that i can get out of the classes as i want to do medicine and need a's. I've already decided im not turning up for my Irish leaving cert but i need the free classes as if i have 8 other subjects to learn for.
    please i really need advice on this subject :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 atfbc9rl0oenhv

Hi i'm 16 and am in TY. I'm about to go into 5th Year and am very stressed about Irish. I was born in South Africa and moved here when i was 3. I applied for my NUI exemption and got it last week. I am having a meting with my principal tomorrow but she is an ex Irish teacher and fairly unreasonable, so i can't see it going that well. I was wondering is there any way that i can get out of the classes as i want to do medicine and need a's. I've already decided im not turning up for my Irish leaving cert but i need the free classes as if i have 8 other subjects to learn for.
    please i really need advice on this subject :)

In a similar situation as you now can you tell me what you did? When going to a university, did they accept you for not having Irish or did they let it go for your course that required Irish?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In a similar situation as you now can you tell me what you did? When going to a university, did they accept you for not having Irish or did they let it go for your course that required Irish?

The poster you are asking has not logged in in two years.

If you were born outside Ireland, there will not be an issue for NUI colleges.
    As said in a previous post, download this form and follow the instructions.
    http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/exemption.pdf

spurious wrote: »

Thank you very much, so what this means is that in the course requirements when it says Irish is required, it's not if you have a nui exemption right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you very much, so what this means is that in the course requirements when it says Irish is required, it's not if you have a nui exemption right?

Can you indicate which course, to be sure? Obviously a degree in Irish would require Irish.

• Advertisement

Can you indicate which course, to be sure? Obviously a degree in Irish would require Irish.

Say Biochemistry ~ at UCC : Course Code: CK402 (Can't send link)

"2017 Entry Requirements: H5 in two subjects and O6/H7 in four other subjects in the Leaving Certificate from Irish, English, Mathematics, one Laboratory Science subject (Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science) and two other subjects recognised for entry purposes. Special Entry Requirement: H4 in a Laboratory Science subject or Mathematics or Applied Mathematics."

So the way it says Irish, if I would get a nui exemption that wouldn't be required for me? Right.

Yes as I understand it. You are exempt from the Irish requirement so as long as you get the rest of the requirements you are good to go.

I thought I posted but sometimes it doesn't go on the mobile. Yes as long as you have the other requirements and whatever points the course needs.

I thought I posted but sometimes it doesn't go on the mobile. Yes as long as you have the other requirements and whatever points the course needs.

Thank you very much!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SewaLot

My son is applying to NUI for exemption from Irish. He is born outside the Republic, so that shouldn't be a problem (we hope). He has no DES exemption, and is studying Irish at ordinary level at school. I have two questions:

- When filling out the NUI form, does he include Irish as one of his subjects (until now we thought he would at least be trying the exam, but we want the exemption in case he fails, he has 8 subjects total)?

- Is he obliged to sit the Irish leaving cert exam at all, even though he is obliged to take the classes?

Thanks

He is not obliged to sit the Irish exam. He is not obliged to sit any exam. He won't be counting it for points, so I don't see why he needs to mention it.

When you say NUI form, what do you mean, the form looking for an exemption?

Hi, I'm Lithuanian and I will soon be sitting my Junior Cert. Since I have no learning disabilities and I got my primary and secondary education in Ireland, I cannot get exempt from Irish by the Department. Correct ? If I were to get a NUI exemption before my JC, would I have to sit my Irish exam ? What about third level education? Would I be accepted despite Irish being a requirement if I got NUI exemption.
    Thank you

Since you were not born here, you will qualify for an NUI exemption for third level. Sitting it at Junior Cert. isn't really affected by that.

Since Irish isn't a difficult language compared to the Baltic languages, you may very well be capable of passing it at JC. How have you been doing in it?

For the LC, if you intend to sit Lithuanian, make sure you take some classes. The exam is tricky enough as it expects a high native speaker standard.

Depending on your background, you might also consider the Russian exam, which is a much lower standard.

Yes Lithuanian is 10 times harder than Irish. I will do the exam for the JC because I don't want to be disrespectful to my teacher who was unaware that will be applying for NUI exemption.
    I have been doing okay in Irish however I probably wont perform too well since I haven't bothered for my Oral which is coming up in a week. I simply do not care about my result, since other subjects are more important. I outperform my peers even though I don't study as much as them.
    As for the Lithuanian, I am taking official Lithuanian state run online classes with oral assessments at the end of each term, so I should reach a high standard for my LC. Plus I speak Lithuanian at home. Oh, and I will be living in Lithuania for 2 months after the JC which will easily overmatch all those online classes.

• Advertisement

Gabrielius wrote: »
    Yes Lithuanian is 10 times harder than Irish. I will do the exam for the JC because I don't want to be disrespectful to my teacher who was unaware that will be applying for NUI exemption.
    I have been doing okay in Irish however I probably wont perform too well since I haven't bothered for my Oral which is coming up in a week. I simply do not care about my result, since other subjects are more important. I outperform my peers even though I don't study as much as them.
    As for the Lithuanian, I am taking official Lithuanian state run online classes with oral assessments at the end of each term, so I should reach a high standard for my LC. Plus I speak Lithuanian at home. Oh, and I will be living in Lithuania for 2 months after the JC which will easily overmatch all those online classes.

Shhhh....We like to think Irish is difficult. :)
    It used to be the same in the school I taught in. The only children who would answer the Irish teacher's greeting correctly in Irish were the Polish and Romanian children.
    Sounds like you will be well sorted for your Lithuanian. Make sure to keep up with Lithuanian current affairs.

Advertisement