Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How healthy is veganism?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Ice.

whiteonion wrote: »
    Ok carbs are bad for you, they lead to obesity and tooth decay.

Putdown the WAPF manual, stop eating junkfood and invest in a toothbrush and you'll be fine.
    Carbs lead to higher blood sugar, which gives an insulin response. When you overload your body with carbs you will develop insulin resistance and later on type 2 diabetes.

Then how come ALL the type 2 diabetics that go on a high-carb, low-fat vegan diet get rid of their diabeties?
    Carbs are among the worst things you can eat. There is no evidence that you need to eat a single gram of carbs at all.

Keep repeating that mantra.

danlen wrote: »
    However, B12 is certainly one that vegans can have trouble with and usually will have to use a supplement.

B12 is an issue for everybody. It's not just a vegan problem.
    There are numerous studies which have confirmed the benefits of saturated fat intake in the diet (as a side note, coconut oil is awesome!). There is also a major lack of credible evidence to suggest that dietry cholesterol can significantly affect blood cholesterol levels.

One only has to look at the work of Dr Caldwell Esselstyn (and others) to see how he has reversed and continues to reverse heart disease on a low-fat vegan diet. His book "Heart Attack Proof" is interesting reading.

However, personally, my problemwith soy would be around the fact that almost all of the world's soy is produced via genetic modification/engineering. Starting to get a bit off-topic now so I'll stop there!

I agree that genetic engineering of food is bad. However the majority of grains produced are to feed livestock, not humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Ice. wrote: »
    B12 is an issue for everybody. It's not just a vegan problem.

Agreed. But it is easier to get enough B12 on a diet that includes at least some meat.

One only has to look at the work of Dr Caldwell Esselstyn (and others) to see how he has reversed and continues to reverse heart disease on a low-fat vegan diet. His book "Heart Attack Proof" is interesting reading.

I havn't read that particular book so I cannot comment on it. However, if this comment is being used to insinuate that high-fat diets are unhealthy, then I would have to question its validity in this argument. High fat diets have been shown to be very healthy and in lot of cases provide more health benefits than other types of diets based on macronutrient composition. I don't have access to specific links right now, but if you need to see them I post them up later.

I agree that genetic engineering of food is bad. However the majority of grains produced are to feed livestock, not humans.

I only commented on soy production, which is being produced for inclusion in products for human consumption.

Overall, I am not against veganism or those who choose to follow it. However, while I fully understand how some people may choose to follow it on ethical/environmental grounds, I can't really understand how someone can choose veganism is they are solely basing the decision on nutrition, as it is not nutritionally superior to a diet that includes animal products.

But what is more important is that people are happy with the way they are eating. If you are, then who cares what other people tell you you should do?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Ice.

Agreed. But it is easier to get enough B12 on a diet that includes at least some meat.

B12 is a bacteria. A meat eater gets their B12 from what the creatures they eat absorbed through diet. The first B12 deficiencies were discovered in meat eaters and there's no real sign that despite vegans usually having less of it in their systems, that B12 deficiency is more prevalent in them.

I havn't read that particular book so I cannot comment on it. However, if this comment is being used to insinuate that high-fat diets are unhealthy, then I would have to question its validity in this argument. High fat diets have been shown to be very healthy and in lot of cases provide more health benefits than other types of diets based on macronutrient composition. I don't have access to specific links right now, but if you need to see them I post them up later.

I was merely highlighting the fact that high-carb low-fat vegan diets are successful in reversing heart disease.

I only commented on soy production, which is being produced for inclusion in products for human consumption.

Fair enough. However that is quite different from trying to infer that soy and its derivatives are a vegan preserve.

I can't really understand how someone can choose veganism is they are solely basing the decision on nutrition, as it is not nutritionally superior to a diet that includes animal products.

What essential nutrients are missing from a vegan diet as opposed to an animal based one?

Advertisement