Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disabling gprs for emails

Options
  • 13-03-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

My phone (a Samsung GT-s5560 with a Vodafone sim card) doesn't seem to want to allow this.
    I am able to use the wifi via the router connected to my boadband connection but when I try to send an email (as opposed to browsing) the GPRS kicks in.
    I have tried to delete the Vodafone PAYG Mail settings in the Internet Profiles but it greyed out.
    Is there a way around this ?
    I have tried removing the sim card but it asks me to insert the card when I try to send an email.
    I tried to delete the Vodafone internet profile when the sim card was removed but it still wasn't possible.
    When I bought the phone (in Enniskillen) I was told it would work with any network ( it came with 10 euros of credit to Orange -and an Orange sim card I seem to remember).
    So I don't see why Vodafone should have taken control of the settings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Some models allow you to select band, this is under 'phone' settings, You can choose gsm only and there is generally 3 bandwidth setups available.

Unsure about this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

So does it make sense that I can browse on wifi but cannot send emails on wifi?
    And how can Vodafone have entered its settings when I bought their sim card and not allow me to delete them when I want to?
    I was told the phone was unlocked when I bought it:does the mere act of buying a sim card for it lock it automatically? (or did they do that in the shop where they sold me the sim card -in Castelbar)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

geordief wrote: »
    So does it make sense that I can browse on wifi but cannot send emails on wifi?
    And how can Vodafone have entered its settings when I bought their sim card and not allow me to delete them when I want to?
    I was told the phone was unlocked when I bought it:does the mere act of buying a sim card for it lock it automatically? (or did they do that in the shop where they sold me the sim card -in Castelbar)

when you put your sim in an reboot the device, the units are hardcoded to search for the sim settings from the given sim inside. it will push in vodafones settings each time. You have to amend the bandwidth so that it can only use GSM. this will prevent data usage.

secondly yes wifi can stop emails from being sent. it depends on the firewall settings amongst other options. I have incidence where the stored IP address from O2 APN was causing email issues as the device was spam blocked internationallly as O2 recycle their IPS, using an alternate APN enabled external IPs to be used so the spam filter allowed emails. but this wouldnt be in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

listermint wrote: »
    when you put your sim in an reboot the device, the units are hardcoded to search for the sim settings from the given sim inside. it will push in vodafones settings each time. You have to amend the bandwidth so that it can only use GSM. this will prevent data usage.

secondly yes wifi can stop emails from being sent. it depends on the firewall settings amongst other options. I have incidence where the stored IP address from O2 APN was causing email issues as the device was spam blocked internationallly as O2 recycle their IPS, using an alternate APN enabled external IPs to be used so the spam filter allowed emails. but this wouldnt be in your case.
    thanks

How can I amend the bandwidth settings?
    I didn't see this option as I navigated around the settings.
    Might there be an option to restore factory or presim settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It looks to have a similar OS to the Jet, so I think all you need to do is press the messages icon -> settings -> email -> profiles and then select the one for your wifi router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement