Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No point in learning web development programming languages?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

With all these web development tools out there like Joomla and Wordpress, I was wondering if there is any point in being skilled in web development programming anymore?

Will companies start looking for CMS experts instead of PHP/ASP.NET developers for example? Is it the norm now to build a website using one of these tools instead of creating one from scratch?

Btw, I'm new to the world of web development and have no experience using a CMS, so I'm aware that I might be coming across as naive or even stupid :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They are frameworks and by their nature have restrictions. The moment you want or need to do something outside of the framework or under the bonnet then you need these languages. E.g. say you want to make what appears a basic change like the heading Categories to Products in WordPress, how do you do that? Then there's business critical matters like tweaking online product listing for conversion which can easily be very messy if you choose a framework without knowing the nuances of the consequences of its implementation. Those are just 2 possible issues, there are hundreds if not thousands more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah exactly. A CMS is really only suitable for a small general website. What about big web apps like Amazon, Facebook etc? - we can hardly use a CMS for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Is it not correct to say that with the correct language knowledge you can make these cms's do whatever you want? so you could actually having an exceptionally complicated and feature packed websites with say drupal as its backend?

in otherwards, you are limited by your ability not really the cms? or was i completely informed wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

You still need to be able to code the website and you need high level skills to make a site unless its very basic one via a CMS.

CMS are bad for scalability, for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

PeakOutput wrote: »
    Is it not correct to say that with the correct language knowledge you can make these cms's do whatever you want?

You're right. There's plenty of scope for not being able to scale up or add certain features to many frameworks no matter how well and how many languages you know. A bad analogy is trying to turn a salon car into a rally car or a Formula One car. The first might be doable, but for the second, you have to go back to scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

RonBo88 wrote: »
    With all these web development tools out there like Joomla and Wordpress, I was wondering if there is any point in being skilled in web development programming anymore?

Will companies start looking for CMS experts instead of PHP/ASP.NET developers for example? Is it the norm now to build a website using one of these tools instead of creating one from scratch?

Btw, I'm new to the world of web development and have no experience using a CMS, so I'm aware that I might be coming across as naive or even stupid :o

Do you want to develop web apps or web sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

OP I understand where are coming from, but I can assure you that open source CMS apps like Joomla are just "apps" in their own right. I wouldn't look at them as frameworks in the strict sense as they are fully working apps out of the box. The fact that they can be extended under hood doesn't change this. They certainly have their place, but IMO are used excessively in
    web projects.

I think in any situation that you feel that there is only one tool for a particular job just means that you're not experienced enough at the job to see or understand the limitations of the tool.

As the previous poster mentioned it depends what the "job" is. Content managed websites are just an example of what can be achieved though web development.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

RonBo88 wrote: »
    I'm new to the world of web development and have no experience using a CMS, so I'm aware that I might be coming across as naive or even stupid :o

CMS type applications are actually a small part of the picture! Most large companies implement their applications as web applications, mainly as it offers an easy and reliable distribution mechanism.

These days most corporate applications consist of a thin client delivered via the browser and a back end consisting of a cluster of server running various services and giga bytes of data and most of them have nothing to do with CMS.

I've spend well over 12 years working on corporate web applications and I have never had anything to do with a CMS in that time.

Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

An off the shelf CMS will have solved a lot of security issues over time, but periodically a new vulnerability will be discovered. Sites known to be running that CMS can be quickly attacked so you have to apply released patches fast. If you've customised your install, patching could be a pain.

Advertisement