Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calculate holiday days (Security)

Options
  • 13-03-2011 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

I am hoping someone can help me out i work in security and my hours can change from 36 to 50hrs per week, but mostly under 40hrs per week - i was told i have 165 hours holidays would this be from last year only or including the whole of this year as well ? just dont want the company i work for to pull a fast one

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mrbig73

For people who have variable hours, the best rule of thumb is 8% of your total hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

mrbig73 wrote: »
    For people who have variable hours, the best rule of thumb is 8% of your total hours.

This is not a good rule of thumb, and allows the employer to pull a fast one!

OP,

if you work more than 1440 hours per year, then you are entitled to 20 days holiday pay, at your average weekly earnings for the year (e.g. add up all the hours you've worked per week, for the last 52 weeks, and calculate the average).

If you have not worked more than 1440 hours, then you have 2 choices.
    For any month that you have worked more than 117 hours, you are entitled to 1.67 days leave (using your average daily working hours as the amount of pay due).

If you have not worked more than 117 hours per month, for any month, you should calculate your hours using the 8% rule (i.e. 8% of total hours worked in that month).

You may also calculate any months where you worked over 117 hours using the 8% rule, and use whichever figure is more advantageous to you.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement