Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duran Duran Dublin July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

kazzikat wrote: »
    Me too, didn't think it would let me as it says you have to be a member for 60 days & I'm not.

I was ready to sign up to the fanclub for their priority tickets but this put me off too! It's refreshing to see a fanclub really treating their members well.
    bonoman66 wrote: »
    I like the ability to be able to get good tickets in a calm manner. Its so hard these days for true fans to get tickets to their fav bands & good tickets at that.

This is so true -- getting decent tickets is so stressful!

I got my standing ticket (who on earth could sit through Duran Duran?) in the O2 presale this morning -- what a relief. I got the album on iTunes when the first few tracks were released back in December but can't wait to run down to the record shop to get the full version in my hands. And I agree -- Girl Panic is a standout track, it's classic Duran sound and yet very fresh -- but all the tracks are so solid. Very excited for this gig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The sixty day rule had me a bit confused initially, but it's just to do with priority for seat allocation, i.e., if they have a few rows of seats set aside for the fanclub or as part of the VIP packages, the longstanding members will get first refusal on the best seats, as opposed to people who have just joined up. It's just to have a sort of pecking order, it's not (as could be interpreted) an exclusion from purchasing.
    To be fair, this system seems totally reasonable, especially as what seats they have on offer for newbies seems to be great anyway, and much better than some other band presales who merely tell you what block you're going to be in. A very fair, well-run fan club.

So, to clarify... General opinion here seems to be:
    Fanclub :D New album :D:D Concert :D:D:D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kazzikat

I was ready to sign up to the fanclub for their priority tickets but this put me off too! It's refreshing to see a fanclub really treating their members well.

This is so true -- getting decent tickets is so stressful!

I got my standing ticket (who on earth could sit through Duran Duran?) in the O2 presale this morning -- what a relief. I got the album on iTunes when the first few tracks were released back in December but can't wait to run down to the record shop to get the full version in my hands. And I agree -- Girl Panic is a standout track, it's classic Duran sound and yet very fresh -- but all the tracks are so solid. Very excited for this gig :D

I agree sitting would be a sin! There seems to be a very small amount of standing space allocated anyway, so I don't think getting the VIP option would have made that much difference, I'll just be getting there early to get a good spot (on the JT side of course).
    I love the album Girl Panic was my favourite too but I love the Man Who stole a Leopard and Being followed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shando316

Does anyone have an O2 priority code they could PM me? Can't get them up north :( it would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

So who's tuning into the David Lynch/Duran fest in LA tonight? Live stream on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

DWCommuter wrote: »
    So who's tuning into the David Lynch/Duran fest in LA tonight? Live stream on Youtube.

I'm tuned in, its started well anyway.

Had to go to beddy byes but watching it today, a weird and surprisingly fitting combo.

kazzikat wrote: »
    Had to go to beddy byes but watching it today, a weird and surprisingly fitting combo.

I went through the pain barrier for it! Paying for it today though.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shando316

Standing tickets sorted this morning :D

Excellent all us standing folks will have to meet up at the front! Can't wait, the set will be really tight by then as they've been playing since the start of March and will have done all of the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Would love to go to this, but I have Rush & Sade in May already. I think they are terribly underated, mainly because of the early boyband image I feel, Come Undone & Planet earth two of my all time favourites, hopefully get the winner of Gr National in a few weeks time to sort these ticks out.:D

I have Rush in May already.:D

You and me both!

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

Would love to go to this, but I have Rush & Sade in May already. I think they are terribly underated, mainly because of the early boyband image I feel, Come Undone & Planet earth two of my all time favourites, hopefully get the winner of Gr National in a few weeks time to sort these ticks out.:D

Yep they are terribly underrated due to a well established media campaign against them in the formative years. While they were compared to the Beatles in terms of "Pop" and screaming girls at concerts, they actually suffered from it because the Beatles had evolved into legends via John Lennon's assasination and well established song writing talent. (Makes you wonder how Paul McCartney still has a career considering his mediocrity)

They were slated for having a glamorous lifestyle during recession hit 80s Britain (when it should have been depicted as hope) and for writing rediculous lyrics, but nobody ever slated the Beatles for chiming out, "She loves you yea yea yea", while Duran songs were derided in detail for lyrics that make Take That, Westlife and Lady Gaga look illiterate.

Unfortunately the band are tainted with this media depiction and have failed to attract newcomers en mass because successive influential commentators (predominantly male) are still angry over not getting a shag in 1982 and use every opportunity to repeat the original misguided and incorrect perception of the band. If one is to look closely at media commentary re Duran Duran, you'll notice younger Journalists repeating what they think is correct, while its just vitriol from oul hacks without a clue. Despite the band doing more than enough to dispel all this poor perception, lazy journalists continue to trot out the same tired old formulaic bull**** that they inherited from their peers.

If the band were to die in a plane crash tomorrow, every two bit music journo would be singing their praises and recommending everyone of their albums. That's how shallow the media are.

**** it! Roll on the O2 in July.

I remember Andrew Collins wrote a ridiculously scathing, two-star Q review of Rio when it was reissued on CD several years ago. I really didn't get what his grievance was - he had clearly just made up his mind about them and was in no mood to engage in any sort of reassessment - but completely dismissing an album like that without decent argument just reeked of bad journalism.

I remember Andrew Collins wrote a ridiculously scathing, two-star Q review of Rio when it was reissued on CD several years ago. I really didn't get what his grievance was - he had clearly just made up his mind about them and was in no mood to engage in any sort of reassessment - but completely dismissing an album like that without decent argument just reeked of bad journalism.

I guess with having fans that are predominantly girls is hard for any band. They really did suffer at the hands of the 'serious' music press, hence JT's move to the States where they were always taken more seriously. He in particular seems quite bruised by their treatment in the UK and took it the hardest, leading to his drink and drug problems ( there were other factors of course). Roger had the sense to get out and retire for 20 yr and seems the most enthusiastic of them all these days.
    How anyone can dismiss the first two albums in particular is beyond me, there is nothing boy bandish about them and they fit neatly into that space between Japan and late 70s Roxy Music. I think DD got sucked into a cycle and were victims of their own success also, if you read interviews about the making of Seven and The Ragged Tiger, they were battling with the success monster big time and some of the peak stuff was a tad over blown production and video wise much and all as I love it. It's just a shame that they haven't been given a proper reassessment in some quarters. Still the new album has been getting generally favourable reviews and they did get their various life time achievement awards. Young people think they're cool though don't they? I was speaking to a few work colleagues in their 20s telling them I was going to see them and expecting to be laughed at but they didnt seem to have the same attitude as people who were around in the 80s.
    And Andrew Collins is a dick who couldn't get a girlfriend in the 80s, did you read his book? no wonder he hates them.

Ha ha! Yes, I know. The earlier comment about embittered, jealous journalists reminded me how the goon was clearly anti-Duran out of spite, and not based on any valid musical criticism.

Yes pretty dumb, that would be like writing Blondie off just coz Debbie Harry was beautiful, mind you most of the NY Punk scene did just that, especially Patti Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just wondering, what's the average age of Duran fans these days? I would guess 40-ish?

I'm 27, and have so far only ever come across one Duran fan around my age.

I would say most fans are in their early 40s as we were probably early teens when they first had hits. They may have younger fans through the Mark Ronson connection and via younger people being into the 80s but most of the gigs Ive been to the crowd has been my age, I've been a fan for 30 yrs. Would like to think the new album will get them a new generation of fans.

I was playing the new album again earlier today. So f***ing good. :D

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Just wondering, what's the average age of Duran fans these days? I would guess 40-ish?

You're a ****ing baby!:D

I was bought my first Duran Duran album in 1982 at the age of 10. (by request) I'm 40 this year. (obviously)

I know a fan who will be in the O2 and he's only 23! He was in the point in 04 and Cork in 07. And it wasn't me that introduced him to them either. It was actually the Bond movie, AVTAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dillydaydreams

Great Duran Duran tickets for sale face value Block E row 17 e70each . Holiday booked instead . anyone interested ???:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Got the tickets for my birthday; can't wait it's gonna be awesome! They're still on top of their game even after such a long passage of time; I love how all the brilliant groups of the 80s are getting back to what they do best. Pity a-ha had to break it off, but DD live on! :D:D:D

SChique00 wrote: »
    Pity a-ha had to break it off, but DD live on! :D:D:D

Get yourself the new a-ha Ending on a High Note CD/DVD of their final concert in Oslo last December. It's great.

PS Simon Le Bon "Life in the Day" interview in today's Sunday Times magazine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Moscow_

I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about what hotel they'll be staying in? or if there's any way i could meet them after the concert, I've a letter I'd love to pass on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

grenache wrote: »

I'm 21, and a few of my friends my age are into DD. At the Phoenix Park show a few years ago we got some funny looks (read: snobbery) from fans in their 40s who obviously didn't think our fandom was legit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

DWCommuter wrote: »
    (Makes you wonder how Paul McCartney still has a career considering his mediocrity)

That is the silliest statement I have ever read in relation to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

anyone get their tickets yet from artist arena - the sellers of the presale tickets?

No, but they sent an e-mail around shortly after they went on sale, saying buyers would be notified again by e-mail when the tickets had been sent out, and that if you had not received them within 2-5 business days of the gig, you can e-mail or phone them and they'll arrange for the tickets to be held at the box office. I wouldn't be too concerned. We've still got over five weeks to go. Possibly more if problems with Simon's voice cause a postponement. :(

• Advertisement

It looks like this will probably be postponed, as there is no improvement re SLB's voice and the iTunes show two days afterwards has been cancelled.

Advertisement