Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duran Duran Dublin July

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Here's a few momentos of the night in case anyone is interested...

Have to say the band were excellent, really 'on form' & the new material is very stong live.

Hope you might enjoy.. ;)

Bonoman66....................

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

bonoman66 wrote: »

Have to say the band were excellent, really 'on form' & the new material is very stong live.

Wonderful sound and great quality - thanks so much for sharing! I've just had a quick look now but will bookmark these for a few months down the line when my memory needs refreshing. Seriously, thank you - I hate taking photos / videos at concerts, so I'm always grateful to those who share their footage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

What a gig, the only thing it was missing was a sold out crowd and Save A Prayer, but the new songs work so well with the old songs. There is no doubt that songs like Girl Panic would be classics if they were released back in the day, they are only hampered by not having the nostalgia factor of the classics.

Amazing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I honestly never thought the reunion tour for "Astronaut" could be beaten but THAT was a helluva gig! Simon was really on top form and really made the night. He seemed to really enjoy it and interacted with the crowd better than most frontmen I've seen.
    I know he had a really bad cold (as had Roger) but I was a bit taken aback by how worn out John looked - he seems to have faired a bit worse than the rest. Simon really looks great for his age.

I just love "Reach Up For The Sunrise" live and "AYNIN" - just stunning. The new album really is the follow up to "Rio".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Excellent recording, thanks a million for posting! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Here's a pathetic, ill-informed and cynical review from the Irish Independent. They are clearly in the minority. At least Kevin Courtney in the Irish Times had a well-balanced attitude, giving credit where it was due.

Duran Duran have always seemed ridiculous to everybody but themselves. This is probably the secret of their longevity. Where the majority of their 1980s contemporaries burned out or simply faded away, it has never occurred to these doyens of outrageous plastic funk that they were in any way washed up. In their own mind, they remain a fantastic art-rock band who just happen to spend a lot of their free time larking on yachts or hanging with supermodels.
    In concert, you can see how hard they work at not being a nostalgia act. While the hits aren't skimped on, they are equally dutiful about airing material from their two most recent records - 2007's Timbaland-produced Red Carpet Massacre, and last year's Mark Ronson-assisted All You Need Is Now.
    Still, the whiff of self-parody is never far away. Bearded and burly, Simon Le Bon appears vaguely cognisant he's no longer a slender 24-year-old with killer cheekbones.
    With their flouncy hair and even flouncier shirts, keyboardist Nick Rhodes and bassist John Taylor, though, give the impression of being trapped in a time-warp.
    They don't do much to lay at rest the accusation they are merely a fashionista band, either. In one of the backing videos, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Eva Herzigova mime along to the music, encapsulating everything people hate about the band in three succinct minutes.

I'm sick and tired (as I'm sure the band are) of the old "larking on yachts" line. F**k off. That's just lazy journalism. And to suggest that they're only a great art-rock band "in their own minds" is just downright offensive. No band has ever made as great an album as AYNIN when they were thirty years into their career - that's if they even managed to last that long in the first place. And how does the Girl Panic! video encapsulate everything people hate about the band? It was such glamourous imagery that had them all over MTV in the early eighties.
    On a more specific note, they didn't even play anything from Red Carpet Massacre, and John wasn't wearing a "flouncy" shirt at any stage of the gig. Seriously, who writes this stuff?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks very much for putting these up Bonoman66. Have you any more vids of the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Here's a pathetic, ill-informed and cynical review from the Irish Independent. They are clearly in the minority. At least Kevin Courtney in the Irish Times had a well-balanced attitude, giving credit where it was due.

Duran Duran have always seemed ridiculous to everybody but themselves. This is probably the secret of their longevity. Where the majority of their 1980s contemporaries burned out or simply faded away, it has never occurred to these doyens of outrageous plastic funk that they were in any way washed up. In their own mind, they remain a fantastic art-rock band who just happen to spend a lot of their free time larking on yachts or hanging with supermodels.
    In concert, you can see how hard they work at not being a nostalgia act. While the hits aren't skimped on, they are equally dutiful about airing material from their two most recent records - 2007's Timbaland-produced Red Carpet Massacre, and last year's Mark Ronson-assisted All You Need Is Now.
    Still, the whiff of self-parody is never far away. Bearded and burly, Simon Le Bon appears vaguely cognisant he's no longer a slender 24-year-old with killer cheekbones.
    With their flouncy hair and even flouncier shirts, keyboardist Nick Rhodes and bassist John Taylor, though, give the impression of being trapped in a time-warp.
    They don't do much to lay at rest the accusation they are merely a fashionista band, either. In one of the backing videos, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Eva Herzigova mime along to the music, encapsulating everything people hate about the band in three succinct minutes.

I'm sick and tired (as I'm sure the band are) of the old "larking on yachts" line. F**k off. That's just lazy journalism. And to suggest that they're only a great art-rock band "in their own minds" is just downright offensive. No band has ever made as great an album as AYNIN when they were thirty years into their career - that's if they even managed to last that long in the first place. And how does the Girl Panic! video encapsulate everything people hate about the band? It was such glamourous imagery that had them all over MTV in the early eighties.
    On a more specific note, they didn't even play anything from Red Carpet Massacre, and John wasn't wearing a "flouncy" shirt at any stage of the gig. Seriously, who writes this stuff?

Probably Stephen Duffy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Thanks very much for putting these up Bonoman66. Have you any more vids of the night?

Sorry podgeandrodge, they're all the videos I was given to upload - I didn't film them. There may be more but that's everything I had. I'm happy to upload more if / when I get any. Hope that's alright & sorry I didn't have more.

Happy Christmas & all the best for 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I thought it was a great night to be honest.

I would have liked to have heard new religion and some of more of the obscure tracks, the seventh stranger, palomino, venice drowning, to name a few of the non poppy ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement