Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Social Housemate

Options
  • 13-03-2011 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

housemate stays in there room-feels like im living alone -what should i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You can't force someone to talk to you :confused:

The only person you can control is yourself.

Just move out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Like seriously dude. That you had to ask this question :confused:

What age are you op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

In fairness to the OP, I lived with someone who wouldn't leave their room. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable in my home.

Even on a basic level, things like sharing housework becomes a problem.

Invite the person out for a few drinks or dinner. Even if they say no, keep doing it, so they know you don't dislike them and will be more willing to be around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 looking around

your right, i prob shouldnt have posted - just p1ssed off, dont know any1 the area to live with, just moved here recently - sorry for wasting ur time!

• Advertisement

In fairness to the OP, I lived with someone who wouldn't leave their room. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable in my home.

Even on a basic level, things like sharing housework becomes a problem.

Invite the person out for a few drinks or dinner. Even if they say no, keep doing it, so they know you don't dislike them and will be more willing to be around you.

tried that, got a no thanks in response! I give up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

have had that experience to. its a difficult situation.

how long are you living there? are you a similar age to the other tenant? have you spoke to them much to find out if you have anything in common?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

It could be the person just doesn't like you. Your options are you can either put up with it or move out to be honest.

I've been in a similar situation myself where after a new housemate moved in he started doing weird things e.g. like knocking on my bedroom door at night when hes drunk asking me to come down and drink with him, asking if I could get him some weed etc... and once you get off to a bad start with someone its very difficult to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thats not anti-social, thats more asocial or unsocial.

The normal usage of anti-social would be if they were trashing the place, doing drugs, late night noise, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

It could be worse...the housemate could be the typical..messy/food stealing/money borrowing from/non bill paying/clingy/remote control hogging...type...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

better the devil you know.

would you rather a shy and introverted housemate or a housemate that never pays their bills, plays loud music at night, is disgustingly dirty etc etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Unfortunately it's the look of the draw with a house share. On the upside I would prefer sharing with someone who kept to themselves than an intrusive housemate who was in your face all the time, noisy,messy etc.
    I understand it's frustrating for you as you don't yet know people in the area you live in, but you do have to respect peoples space when you live with them, and if they choose just to stay in their room all the time, so be it.
    Don't take it as a personal insult;)

that easyroomate site is class. wish i knew about it ages ago :rolleyes: would have save me a lot of hassle living with people im not compatible with at all!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I just wonder, why you call your house mate 'antisocial'. It could be much worse indeed, like being noisy, smelly, steeling your stuff or things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

It just sounds like the person likes to keep to themselves. What is it that bugs you? Is it you think he/she is a weirdo? Because you want to be friends with him/her?

ElectraX wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's the look of the draw with a house share. On the upside I would prefer sharing with someone who kept to themselves than an intrusive housemate who was in your face all the time, noisy,messy etc.
    I understand it's frustrating for you as you don't yet know people in the area you live in, but you do have to respect peoples space when you live with them, and if they choose just to stay in their room all the time, so be it.
    Don't take it as a personal insult;)

You are all right, it could be worse - I will just have to try and get to know more people in the area, get out of the house in the evenings so the days sont seem as long! :D Thanks all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

What about the other thread where the OP's housemate was eating rotten eggs and drinking sour milk - Now THATS weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

your right, i prob shouldnt have posted - just p1ssed off, dont know any1 the area to live with, just moved here recently - sorry for wasting ur time!

I used to live in a house and I heard from a workmate that the other guy in the house was complaining that I didnt leave my room. He told them that he thought I might be depressed or something. To tell the truth, the guy used to be so annoying. He kept knocking on my bedroom door and asking me to go for a pint with him. It got to the stage that I used to just not answer him knocking on the bedroom door. Id be out most of the time and hed think I was in the room. He was a weirdo, yet he went around telling everyone I was the weirdo.
    I got out of their as fast as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 eest

Reminded me this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5PoW7_kdA :D

This is an advantage of renting or sharing, you can find another place (probably cheaper and better) if your do not like you house mate(s) or neighbour(s).

I've never understood how keeping to yourself is considered antisocial. I'm one of those people who when living with people I don't know will generally keep to myself and spent more time in my room than sat in the front room with housemates watchign TV and drinking. In one of the last houses I lived I became good friends with the lads I was living with and most nights we would be wtchign crap films or playing PS3 together, but when they moved on come summer a rather odd lad moved it. He was over here while his family were in Eastern Europe, he wasn't a bad sort jsut an extremely odd one who took over the living room one day and began to eat, sleep and change in there, pretty much turned it into his bedroom. I really didnt mind as long as he was quite, was never intimidating or abusive and paid his bills on time then I was happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Victor wrote: »
    Thats not anti-social, thats more asocial or unsocial.

The normal usage of anti-social would be if they were trashing the place, doing drugs, late night noise, etc.

:confused:

I've always found doing drugs to be very social :p s'pose it depends on the drug...

However, having a house mate whose such a recluse, is deffo a sign on imminent homocide.

Get out. Quick. Tonight if possible (but before it gets too dark...)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

that easyroomate site is class. wish i knew about it ages ago :rolleyes: would have save me a lot of hassle living with people im not compatible with at all!!! :rolleyes:

What site is that?

Philsopher wrote: »
    What site is that?

ie.easyroomate.com

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

ie.easyroomate.com

Thanks for that! Much appreciated. :)

Advertisement