Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Darkness Are Back

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ah I don't know about that, they have the Queen influence going to, they're kind of like an intense fusion of ACDC with Queen with a ribald frontman. There are other elements too, like a sense of the absurd and theatricality, both musical and image wise that seems lost on a lot of people. Some thin lizzy in there too. Any band can be accused of ripping off their influences, Led Zeppelin for one. Imo the darkness are what they are, they are distinct though related to the bands which influence them, rather than being a tribute band like Airbourne.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah I don't know about that, they have the Queen influence going to, they're kind of like an intense fusion of ACDC with Queen with a ribald frontman. There are other elements too, like a sense of the absurd and theatricality, both musical and image wise that seems lost on a lot of people. Some thin lizzy in there too. Any band can be accused of ripping off their influences, Led Zeppelin for one. Imo the darkness are what they are, they are distinct though related to the bands which influence them, rather than being a tribute band like Airbourne.

AC/DC would be a influence on the music, Justin's vocals make them distinctive.
    Don't see Airbourne as a tribute band, Alright AC/DC are their only influence, But I would prefer they take inspiration from AC/DC then a terrible band like Limp Bizkit, They are kinda developing their own style,
    This sounds a bit different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

GR88 wrote: »
    This sounds a bit different

sounds different how???? :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

seachto7 wrote: »
    sounds different how???? :confused::confused:

I mean that I don't think it sounds like a AC/DC song, In my opinion anyway.

More leather one-sies and crotch thrusting then I take it.

Wonderful!!!

I'm genuinely excited!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

GR88 wrote: »
    If Justin didn't sing in falsetto all the time, ya could accuse The Darkness of being a AC/DC rip off, They definitely are a big influence on them.

Yeah, no doubt they're a big influence on them. But so are other bands, the most obvious one being queen. Theres no harm in taking inspiration from a few sources and blending it together to make your own thing.

Yeah, no doubt they're a big influence on them. But so are other bands, the most obvious one being queen. Theres no harm in taking inspiration from a few sources and blending it together to make your own thing.

Suppose Justins vocals set them apart from Airbourne, The Answer etc, But it's probably the reason some people have an intense hatred for them.
    I like them but his voice gets on my nerves at times.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Will they have a new album out before they start touring or will they just hit the road and maybe churn an album out afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Hope this doesn't kill off The Stone Gods. I was so impressed with their album.

• Advertisement

population wrote: »

Yea i really enjoyed Stone Gods , seen them support Airbourne in 2008???? And really liked them and the bald guy was a great front man and singer . I really should have both their LP on the night instead of Download it

population wrote: »

They recorded their 2nd album over a year ago, Hopefully it will see the light of day at some point, They are far too good a band to just vanish and never be heard of again.

The Darkness will undertake a full world tour in 2012, according to singer Justin Hawkins.

The Lowestoft hair metallers, who announced that they were reuniting earlier this year after a five-year separation, have said they are now making plans to tour the world and will definitely release new music.

Speaking to Q Hawkins said: "There'll probably be a The Darkness album in 2012, but somehow we'll get new music out before then. A UK tour at the end of that year and then the world. Again."

The Darkness play their first gigs since reuniting next month, headlining the Norwich Waterfront on June 5, the Leamington Spa Assembly on June 6 and London's O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire on June 8. These will act as a warm-up for their appearance at Download Festival playing underneath headliners Def Leppard on June 10.

The band's reunion is with their original line-up with brothers Justin and Dan Hawkins, bassist Frankie Poullain and drummer Ed Graham in the set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

great, more deathcries of a scalded cat.
    i have no love for the darkness.
    if they were a plastic toy they would be in a 2.99 box of christmas crackers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Why!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Gridlock wrote: »
    Why!!!!!!

Because they're amazing, that's why!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Reunited British rockers THE DARKNESS made their U.K. live comeback last night (Sunday, June 5) in front of just 200 people at the Norwich Waterfront.

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. Bareback
    02. Black Shuck
    03. Growing On Me
    04. Get Your Hands Off My Woman
    05. One Way Ticket
    06. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us
    07. Love Is Only A Feeling
    08. Is It Just Me?
    09. Concrete
    10. Cannonball
    11. Stuck In A Rut
    12. Givin' Up
    13. Friday Night
    14. I Believe In A Thing Called Love
    15. Love On The Rocks With No Ice

Interesting set list, gives a good mix of both albums, strange considering I always believed Justin hated a lot of the material from the second. Having said that I don't, thankfully, see Girlfriend anywhere there so that is a relief.

Advertisement