Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of buying a new stock

Options
  • 13-03-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

i have a question for the people that know a lot more than i do i have a marlin 917v .17hmr with a short heavy barrel and was looking at this stock http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ROSS-FT-MARLIN-XL7-p/606-112.htm
    on the boyds website and i really like the look of this and the price is brilliant
    but would it fit my gun or would there need to be some work done to it to make it fit perfect
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It says it on the website that the stock is inletted and finished to suit the "factory housing". This means they have taken a Marlin action, probably one of the more popular ones, and built all their stocks around this action.

If another Marlin action is going to be dropped into the stock then depending on how closely your action matches the factory action some or no altering will be necessary. The website also says that this altering can be done by a novice, but if unsure consult a gunsmith. In this case i would be more inclined to visit one of the rifle stock manufacturers here rather than a gunsmith. Enda Walsh of www.gunstocksireland.com or Edi Graef of PSE - Composites would/should be able to help you.

To be honest and without trying to insult you the best people to ask would be Boyds themselves. Drop them an e-mail and ask what action the stocks are designed for. Then order accordingly.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Ezridax wrote: »
    It says it on the website that the stock is inletted and finished to suit the "factory housing". This means they have taken a Marlin action, probably one of the more popular ones, and built all their stocks around this action.

If another Marlin action is going to be dropped into the stock then depending on how closely your action matches the factory action some or no altering will be necessary. The website also says that this altering can be done by a novice, but if unsure consult a gunsmith. In this case i would be more inclined to visit one of the rifle stock manufacturers here rather than a gunsmith. Enda Walsh of www.gunstocksireland.com or Edi Graef of PSE - Composites would/should be able to help you.

To be honest and without trying to insult you the best people to ask would be Boyds themselves. Drop them an e-mail and ask what action the stocks are designed for. Then order accordingly.

ok thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've a Boyds thumbhole stock on my .223, came as standard. Looks really well and it's comfortable too. Needs an adjustable cheek piece IMO, but I wouldn't change it, good and stiff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Rosahane

They are seriously good value. I wish I could find the equivalent for a Steyr prohunter :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 6.5x55

I got a Boyds stock for a CZ452 Varmint and the fit was better than the original CZ stock . Real good Value for Money and 4 days from order to delivery here .cheap as chips as well .I glass bedded mine as a little winter project ,probably didn't need to as fit was that good . Ring Boyds they are very Helpful .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

if you are going to order one do it soon
    once the us homeland security legislation kicks in no more importing gun bits including stocks from the us
    depending who you get you may be too late i tried and failed others have managed to get them in if you fail talk to <snip> he got mine for me & fittedfree floated bedded etc all for a bit more than i could get it from the states for

Advertisement