Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build €1000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

nuxxx wrote: »
    I thought the effective memory for both cards becomes the smaller memory, thats definately the case for clock speed anyway.

Edit: Kinda misunderstood what you said. Before i went sli i read alot about this, what most people were saying was even with 2 GB cards in SLI you dont get 4GB overall, the cards take turns processing using there own memory. 2GB + 2GB in CF will definately be better if thats the case, obviously!

It sounds like a raid 1 array, with the memory mirrored in both.

Going to get 3 of these

BenQ G2420HDBE - LCD display - TFT - 24" - €146.88
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=40489&agid=367

It seems to have positive reviews on amazon.de
    http://www.amazon.de/BenQ-G2420HDBE-WideScreen-Monitor-Kontrastverh%C3%A4ltnis/dp/B002SNBIZI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

make sure your bying 3 dvi cables and a active displayport to dvi adapter (make sure it's active not passive) if your going to run eyefinity

make sure your bying 3 dvi cables and a active displayport to dvi adapter (make sure it's active not passive) if your going to run eyefinity

Since i'm going crossfire, I shouldn't need the adapter, should I?

you do because you have to use the display port to run the primary monitor and since the benq dosn't have a display port input (luckily it dosn't because monitor that do are expensive) your gonna have to use the adapter and i'm pretty sure you need to use a dvi-d dual link cable with it aswell as the adapters only come like that am i right there?
    not sure on the last bit but you defo have to use display port sp the adapter is needed

• Advertisement

you do because you have to use the display port to run the primary monitor and since the benq dosn't have a display port input (luckily it dosn't because monitor that do are expensive) your gonna have to use the adapter and i'm pretty sure you need to use a dvi-d dual link cable with it aswell as the adapters only come like that am i right there?
    not sure on the last bit but you defo have to use display port sp the adapter is needed

Ok thanks. Looks like this will do the job and it only needs a single link DVI-D.

HIS DisplayPort to Single Link-DVI Eyefinity Adapter - €20.99
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38608&agid=1340

grand job so but what dvi cables you gonig with?
    just going to buy them from your local pc shop?

grand job so but what dvi cables you gonig with?
    just going to buy them from your local pc shop?

I have two already so I just need a third.

LogiLink DVI cable - 3 m - €6.99
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=40710&agid=1315

dvi-d dual link cable with a nice lenght for under €7 not bad at all i must say

Ok so I just placed my order this afternoon. This what I finally settled on.

Case: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R3 Black Pearl - €91.69
    Case Fans: Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PL2 120mm x1, PK2 140mm x3 - €51.92
    PSU: Corsair 750HX 750W - €122.22
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) - €135.24
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - €181.11
    Heatsink: Corsair A70 - €33.03
    GPU: MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB x2 - €430.28
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC1600 CL8 4GB kit x2 - €88.28
    SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB - €196.74

Total: - €1,330.51

I ended up dropping the blu-ray as I have been given a DVD+/- RW SATA drive for free (my old drives were IDE), and tbh I don't know when I would actually use it. Instead I plunged for the SSD, it's expensive but it would be a shame to leave a kick ass system without an SSD. I also have a 500GB HDD left over from my last PC that will do for local file storage. I have a HTPC with 4TB of space for storing my music & films.

I also ordered

Monitor: BenQ G2420HDBE, 24" 1080p - €146.88 x3 - €440.64
    HIS DisplayPort to Single Link-DVI Eyefinity Adapter - €20.99

Total: €461.63

Cheap monitors but I've read many reviews and watched some videos of them in action and I think they're good enough for me. I'm going to set up one initially and see if I'm happy with it before unboxing all of them. If i'm unhappy I'll return them. I have an old 24" Dell monitor that i'm keeping round as backup for the time being. Really looking forward to play BF:BC2 in eyefinity. :cool:

Grand Total: - €1792.14

I already own

Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
    Mouse: Razer Copperhead
    Speakers: Altec Lansing ADA995 THX 5.1

I will be selling the speakers in the near future and purchasing a wireless surround THX headset when it's eventually released. Specifically the Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega. It will be released sometime in April/May and I expect it to be about €180-200.

I'm as excited as a fat kid in a sweet shop, I can't wait for it arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Looks like an awesome build, good luck with it!

be sure to give us a look at this set-up when it's all done ;)

be sure to give us a look at this set-up when it's all done ;)

Yeah I'll give y'all a looksee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have a question, will a 750watt psu be able to drive all that?, a i5 2500k is going to get overclocked and so will use significantly more than 95watts under load. http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/Intel_i7_2600K_i5_2500K/12.html
    That page is showing the total system power usage, not sure if that includes a modern gaming graphics card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159
    http://tpucdn.com/articles/159/images/power.jpg
    Two 6950'd under load will also suck a lot of juice, more so if modded and overclocked. A modded 6950 takes 200 watts on its own.

The reason I ask is because I have an 3 year old 600Watt OCZ and it could not drive a i7 2600k, 4 sticks of ram, a few disks including 2 ssd's and a 6950. I am waiting now for a delivery of a 850Watt corsair or possibly a xfx (seasonic) because I plan on getting another 6950 and fancy a spot of overclocking (once my noctua turns up)

BigEejit wrote: »
    I have a question, will a 750watt psu be able to drive all that?, a i5 2500k is going to get overclocked and so will use significantly more than 95watts under load. http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/Intel_i7_2600K_i5_2500K/12.html
    That page is showing the total system power usage, not sure if that includes a modern gaming graphics card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159
    http://tpucdn.com/articles/159/images/power.jpg
    Two 6950'd under load will also suck a lot of juice, more so if modded and overclocked. A modded 6950 takes 200 watts on its own.

The reason I ask is because I have an 3 year old 600Watt OCZ and it could not drive a i7-2600k, 4 sticks of ram, a few disks including 2 ssd's and a 6950. I am waiting now for a delivery of a 850Watt corsair or possibly a xfx (seasonic) because I plan on getting another 6950 and fancy a spot of overclocking (once my noctua turns up)

Yeah it should. I've see a Corsair HX 850W PSU supply a OC i7-980 ex, GTX 580 SLi system with a clear overhead of 200W. The HD 6950 draws significantly less power (219W vs 293W) under load source. People often massively overestimate their power requirements, better than underestimating it I guess.

750watts is more than enough just as long as your not running high voltage ram and loads of internal devices but in your case your running a 2600k and a few drives then you may need the extra power so going with a 850wtt wasn't a bad idea because it will keep you on the safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Yeah, the 600 watt psu I have just cant cut it ..... running with a 8400GS atm :D so I can install windows etc, luckily my old 4870 has 4 leds on the back near the two pcie inputs which showed that a 12v rail drooped, no such leds on the 6950. Thought it would be ok seeing as it powered a q6600 (mild overclock) and the same 4870 before.

After doing some research I'm going for a single 12V rail 850watt psu. My CPU will be taking 200watts under full load, 2 6950's take about 200 each as well. After that there are 4 hard drives and 4 mushkin dimm's and whatever the p67 chipset uses to share the remaining 250 watts. I have the same case as the youtube video, with the power supply in the bottom there is not enough room for a third graphics card. The P8P67 has a Intel network port and decent sound so the only additional card I may get would be a tuner

By the way, Asus P8P67 Pro B3 has a heap of problems, hopefully new bios out today addresses some of them.

(hehe, the spell checker in Chrome suggested Ass or Anus as correct spelling of Asus..... earlier today I agreed with both suggestions)

Ok so I placed the order last Sunday, went to the bank Monday and filled out the transfer form and the money left my account on Wednesday. I still haven't heard from them and the status of my order on the website has not been updated. I sent them an email this morning to check if they received my money and they have not replied. Getting a little worried the bank made a mistake with the transfer.

irish banks are going to do what they do best, hold your money needlessly so they can gather the intrest off it but don't worry it should go through soon enough it's just some cases where the transfer takes awhile (espiecally with boi and aib) give it till wednesday and if nothing has happended then it's time to kick some bank manager's behind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sink get the logitech G930, can't recommend them enough

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Sink get the logitech G930, can't recommend them enough

I was thinking about it but I really want a headset that will also do Xbox 360 & PS3.

Yay, just got confirmation that it has shipped.

Bit annoyed it hasn't landed yet, I was hoping I would have it before the weekend. It's been two weeks tomorrow since I ordered it, it was dispatched last Monday and only landed in Ireland yesterday, hopefully they will deliver it on Monday.

So anyway, I promised you pics and here they are!

This was testing the components before installing them in the case. Booted up fine first time :).

P1000112.jpg

Here's the inside of the case. Cable management was a bitch to get right.

P1000117.jpg

And here's the final eyefinity setup, awesome :D.

P1000133.jpg

CPU is running at max 43° under full load at stock. I haven't overclocked anything yet, going to do that over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Pics not working. Happens when you wait too long between attach and post time.

Bah, I'm not going to be able to fix em until I get home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What components do you need?

Vicxas wrote: »
    What components do you need?

Huh, to post up the pictures? Well, the files which are on my home PC, I'm now in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

No no i just need a list, i wanna see what you need so i can find you some bundle deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The system is built, it's pictures of the completed project that was being posted.

Advertisement