Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build €1000

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

sink wrote: »
    So anyway, I promised you pics and here they are!

This was testing the components before installing them in the case. Booted up fine first time :).

P1000112.jpg

Here's the inside of the case. Cable management was a bitch to get right.

P1000117.jpg

And here's the final eyefinity setup, awesome :D.

P1000133.jpg

CPU is running at max 43° under full load at stock. I haven't overclocked anything yet, going to do that over the weekend.

Fixed images

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

God damn! thats a sexy set-up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

how much was the final build

naughto wrote: »
    how much was the final build

posted earlier
    sink wrote: »
    Ok so I just placed my order this afternoon. This what I finally settled on.

Case: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R3 Black Pearl - €91.69
    Case Fans: Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PL2 120mm x1, PK2 140mm x3 - €51.92
    PSU: Corsair 750HX 750W - €122.22
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) - €135.24
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - €181.11
    Heatsink: Corsair A70 - €33.03
    GPU: MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB x2 - €430.28
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC1600 CL8 4GB kit x2 - €88.28
    SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB - €196.74

Total: - €1,330.51

I ended up dropping the blu-ray as I have been given a DVD+/- RW SATA drive for free (my old drives were IDE), and tbh I don't know when I would actually use it. Instead I plunged for the SSD, it's expensive but it would be a shame to leave a kick ass system without an SSD. I also have a 500GB HDD left over from my last PC that will do for local file storage. I have a HTPC with 4TB of space for storing my music & films.

I also ordered

Monitor: BenQ G2420HDBE, 24" 1080p - €146.88 x3 - €440.64
    HIS DisplayPort to Single Link-DVI Eyefinity Adapter - €20.99

Total: €461.63

Cheap monitors but I've read many reviews and watched some videos of them in action and I think they're good enough for me. I'm going to set up one initially and see if I'm happy with it before unboxing all of them. If i'm unhappy I'll return them. I have an old 24" Dell monitor that i'm keeping round as backup for the time being. Really looking forward to play BF:BC2 in eyefinity. :cool:

Grand Total: - €1792.14

I already own

Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
    Mouse: Razer Copperhead
    Speakers: Altec Lansing ADA995 THX 5.1

I will be selling the speakers in the near future and purchasing a wireless surround THX headset when it's eventually released. Specifically the Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega. It will be released sometime in April/May and I expect it to be about €180-200.

I'm as excited as a fat kid in a sweet shop, I can't wait for it arrive.

Overclocking the CPU atm, looks like the best i'm going to get is 4.6GHz @ 1.305 V. It's been stable for an hour of prime95 stress testing. Tried pushing it to 4.7GHz kept upping the core voltage up to 1.37 V but it would crash before I could launch a program so I gave up on it. RAM running at 800Mhz 8-8-8-24 @ 1.601 V, it's rated to 1.65 V tried upping it to 1.645 V to see if it would be stable with CPU @ 4.7Ghz, but no luck. Still a whole 1.3Ghz or 40% above it's stock is not to shabby.

Edit:- Also max temp is 58° C under stress, seems very low.

• Advertisement

BSOD last night @ 4.6GHz @ 1.305 V after an hour an half of stress testing. Bumped up the voltage to 1.315 V and ran prime95 for 4 hours, seems stable. Played crysis 2 for a bit and all was good. Going to have a crack at the graphics cards next.

Flashed my two HD 6950s, they're now running at HD 6970 specs, played crysis 2 for a few hours without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what scores are you getting with 3dmark?
    as i have just put my kit together that's in my sig but i haven't oc'ed anything yet

The highest I got was just over 9700. I've lowered the clock speed slightly since then as my cards were getting too hot. I'm now using a modified 6950 bios which unlocks the shaders but doesn't overvolt the dram like the 6970 bios does as that can cause cards to fail.

Sorry for digging up my old thread but I just want to say, I bought my i5 2500K, 6950 CF rig around this time last year and I'm extremely pleased with it's longevity.

The 2500K still looks like it still the best price/performance processor for gaming and hasn't come down in value. The two unlocked 6950 in CF still hold up extremely well considering I paid €215 each and spending €430 today will get me a 7970 which is about the same performance.

While the CPU and GPU haven't dropped in value, there has been significant movement downward in SSDs & RAM. A crucial M4 128GB costs today around €130, a drop of almost €70 or 35% from my C300 128GB a year ago. 8GB of the same corsair XMS3 RAM costs only €38, a massive drop of €50 or 56% and you can now get an equivalent Z68 mobo for the price I paid for my P67.

The rest of the build i.e Case, PSU, Fans, it pretty much the same as it was a year ago. Overall I would say the value of my PC has dropped less than 10%, which is pretty good going for any piece of technology these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Thats a beast, i'm not surprised it's holding up still, that'll play Battlefield 4 Crysis 3 and CoD 20 :D

Advertisement