Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is The Worst Player to ever Play for Ireland ?

• 13-03-2011 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Now I have a view but it would provoke outrage and go off topic so I will hold fire.
    (Hint : he's a ginger)

Nevertheless, very interested to hear your views.
    we've had a lot of plonkers in Green jerseys over the years so should be interesting.

Ashley Spiderman Grimes would be my second choice ..........

over to you folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Paul Butler & Joe Lapira. McShane and Green of the current squad aren't too far away from it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Joe lapira or whatever his name was!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mcshane end of thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mickey Evans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Joe Lapira actually played alright in his one appearance with Ireland :pac:

Of my lifetime i would say McShane. Im sure there were some farcical players back in the black and white days though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think it has to be Lapira. He's currently plying his trade in the Indian 2nd division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Mcshane end of thread

for a player that continually gets caps then mcshane defo wins hands down. Plus he was responsible for most of the goals scored against us in the world cup qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Alan Kernaghan or Gary Doherty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Gary Doherty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

There is no debate certainly in the last 30 years of players who got more then two or three caps then ALAN KERNAGHAN has gotta be the worst. If you think not Id hope your too young to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Roy Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Roy Keane

A fcuk off Mick, thought you's buried the hatchet

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Eamon Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Another vote for McShane.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Roy Keane

No, no the thread title says "Who is the Worst Player to ever Play for Ireland ?" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Paul Butler is the worst I've ever seen. On top of it all his connection to the country is tenuous at best and his shambolic 45 minute debut/farewell v Czech Rep will be hard to forget.

McShane is definitely the worst player to have nailed down a regular place since the 1980s. Ironically he played out of his skin on *his* debut v Czech Rep. The country has been paying for it ever since. He could do the national team a great service by retiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Alan O Brien wouldn't lace McShane's boots.

I honestly think McShane gets a raw deal here. Take the France game and I accept Henry got around the back of him (to handle the ball) but Shay Given is getting away scot free. He was/is superglued to the line, the ball was in the 6 yard box FGS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

McShane? Paul Green? John Douglas? Tough call!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Alan Moore or Curtis Flemming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm old enough to remember Kernaghan, Phelan, Evans, Butler, Waddock, etc.

None of them get near Wicklow's finest. No, Paul McShane is Ireland's worst by a considerable distance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

grenache wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember Kernaghan, Phelan, Evans, Butler, Waddock, etc.

None of them get near Wicklow's finest. No, Paul McShane is Ireland's worst by a considerable distance.

Was he that bad for us? Granted he got the run around against Mexico but he really maned himself up for the Norway game.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Was he that bad for us? Granted he got the run around against Mexico but he really maned himself up for the Norway game.

I think he's lucky Sheedy retired and Staunton moved up because he'd never had a look-in with Stan at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Dunno, Docherty was dreadful in two positions. Does that make him doubly bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Eddie McGoldrick...shoite player and a total dick too cus he wouldnt give me his autograph while sitting on the bench :mad:

Doherty was probably worse tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Eddie McGoldrick,Paul McShane and Paul Butler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ah come on Doherty wasn't as bad as some of the others mentioned, certainly wouldn't call him the worst anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Alan McLoughlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

bonerm wrote: »

McShane is definitely the worst player to have nailed down a regular place since the 1980s. Ironically he played out of his skin on *his* debut v Czech Rep. The country has been paying for it ever since. He could do the national team a great service by retiring.

On his debut for Sunderland he was absolutely fantastic and had the fans saying he was a bargain at £1.5m. Sadly around three games later he was at fault for 5 of the 7 goals we conceded against Everton and that was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

curry-muff wrote: »
    Ah come on Doherty wasn't as bad as some of the others mentioned, certainly wouldn't call him the worst anyway.

Ah, give Doherty a break, I'll never forget his 87th minute winner against Georgia in Tblisi with all the bottle and knives landing around him as he finger wagged a celebration in front of the locals.....legend. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

tdv123 wrote: »

Phelan was excellent for us for a long period. In no way desrrves mention in this thread.

Doherty was no world beater either but again was better than the likes of Lapira and Mickey Evans and he never made the mistakes Mc Shane has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Don't think Doherty was that bad. That said, I hated seeing him playing but he could do a job when he was selected.

Butler would be my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Mickey Evans

Anyone remember how he got his cap???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Anyone who thinks McShane was the worst player to every play for Ireland is presumably a teenager.

In recent memory, McGoldrick, Lapira, Butler, Joe O'Cearuill, Evans, Milligan spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Anyone who thinks McShane was the worst player to every play for Ireland is presumably a teenager.

In recent memory, McGoldrick, Lapira, Butler, Joe O'Cearuill, Evans, Milligan spring to mind.

MIKE MILLIGAN. Great shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some people here are so clueless. McShane and Doherty are way better than some that have played for the Republic. As for naming one player, well I don't think thats fair at all. You don't have to play international football and everybody that does do it deserves credit and not some dickhead thread about who was the worst.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Some people here are so clueless. McShane and Doherty are way better than some that have played for the Republic. As for naming one player, well I don't think thats fair at all. You don't have to play international football and everybody that does do it deserves credit and not some dickhead thread about who was the worst.

Take it easy Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I thought Gary Breen was sh1te for years. Then he had a brilliant WC2002. Then he went back to being sh1te again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Jaysus, all these players mentioned here actually make zinedine kilbane look like the real zinedine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

clinton morrison or mcshane

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

ricero wrote: »
    clinton morrison
    Never, scored some important goals for us, always tried his best. Not the best but hardly the worst

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Never, scored some important goals for us, always tried his best. Not the best but hardly the worst

Technically he scored no important goals for us.

(but he's also a long way from deserving mention on this thread).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

bonerm wrote: »
    Technically he scored no important goals for us.

(but he's also a long way from deserving mention on this thread).
    He scored the only goals for us during two 1-1 draws during the 2006 WC qualification (Away at Israel and the Swiss). As well as the opening goal in a 3-0 win over Cyprus. They were important at the time.

Actually, those 3 goals made him our 2nd highest scorer in that campaign, after Keane with 4, who took the penos.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Depends on the boundaries really. The likes of Paul Butler and Joe Shapiro only played one game for Ireland. Now you can say that says it all. Fair enough.

From that point of view, i'll opt for Shapiro. At least Butler was decent at a good standard of club football.

The best debate is for players who made more than one appearance for Ireland and were somewhat of a regular for a certain period.

From that point of view, i'll opt for Paul McShane. But honourable mentions go to Chris Morris, Phil Babb (besides USA 94), Alan Kernaghan and Paul Green.

Gary Doherty got some important goals for us whilst playing as a striker so i wouldn't have him on the list.

The poster putting Clinton Morrison forward, that's ridiculous. He wasn't great but he was decent for Ireland whenever he played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

You have to say McShane, he only one of two players I can think of where I just get worried when someone gives him the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Good shout. He was shite at Pat's, never mind at international level.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Alan Kernaghan was the worst player I've seen earn more than three caps for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Peter Eccles or Pat Scully

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

A toss up between McShane and Phil Babb.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Depends on the boundaries really. The likes of Paul Butler and Joe Shapiro only played one game for Ireland. Now you can say that says it all. Fair enough.

From that point of view, i'll opt for Shapiro.

Who's Joe Shapiro? Any relation to Helen?

• Advertisement
Advertisement