Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick 7 Day Challenge 2011

Options
  • 13-03-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Anyone else doing it this year? Just finished my 3rd day, was grand heading up, coming down it started snowing heavy which made it kinda hard to jog fast down, trying to cut my time down doing it! Looking forward to the next 4 days and of course having a few drinks on Friday night. Heard word earlier that someone was injured today while climbing, did anyone else hear anything?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

My brother did it with his mate, 1.55 up and down.

I was told that they stopped the climbs after 2pm due to an injury, but that I can't confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Yeah that's all I heard aswell, heading over now to climb again, might try and see can I beat your brothers time!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fogra

Heard this morning that they're only allowing climbers to the saddle or where it levels out due to the emergencies at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i heard someone fell on their back yesterday and hit their head, and they were probably being kept overnite in the hospital i cant guarantee the accuracy of that its what i heard from a usually reliable source i know another girl fell and hurt her knee pretty badly but that wouldnt warrant telling people to only go halfway

not doing the full week this year have done it the other years but too busy this year

went up yesterday didnt think it was that bad but ive a fair bit of experience ( and i had o lot of gear on ) so i guess its all relative

as usual i couldnt believe the amount of eejits in runners, jeans, tracksuits, no hats , gloves , etc ... no idea of how cold / miserable / potentially dangerous it could be up there for them
    when i landed in the carpark it was 3 degrees .. i think its close to a degree drop per 100m ( i could be wrong ) so thats around minus 5 at the top and that doesnt allow for windchill... on a day that you wouldnt stand outside at sea level for long and people are climbing a mountain in their civvies !!!

there should be a massive sign in the car park ( i know theres one at the steps ) advising people of adequate clothing , footwear for the conditions, advising that sections can be treacherous, maybe give the number of accidents / casualties so far this year and maybe even list the number of fatalities so that these numbskulls get the message

if you want to climb in your runners and tracksuits / shorts go in the summer when the weathers good and its clear

sorry for the rant but ive climbed it nearly 30 times now and ive seen a lot of miserable cold and wet people and people with injuries cos they dont appreciate what their doing and their wearing the wrong stuff ( people going up in the rain in jeans and runners )

yes they were advising to go halfway today but ive heard that a lot went to the top anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Went today at half 2, was told that we should only go to the half way point were it is flat and turn back, decided against it and went the whole way up, not very dangerous at the top, and met a lot of people coming down. Was a nice day climbing, looking forward to the last three days. Heard that the woman fell in between the the gate and the stairs and the man fell at the flat halfway up

• Advertisement
Advertisement