Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are things really that bad?

• 13-03-2011 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

I am studying abroad, and I am hearing all this doom and gloom about Ireland's economic situation,people losing their jobs,the Universal Social Charge, a huge increase in suicides, businesses closing everywhere,people losing their homes, etc.

Is it really that bad or is the media being overdramatic?

What are your thoughts? Is it all true from what you have experienced?

Is Ireland's situation that bad? 38 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 38 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Yep.

I have to drink Moet & Chandon instead of Kristal

Skinny Blueberry Muffin from Starbucks only had 10 Blueberrys in it.

Tough times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If you were a Celtic Tiger cub it's a nightmare. Otherwise it not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Yep.

I have to drink Moet & Chandon instead of Kristal

Skinny Blueberry Muffin from Starbucks only had 10 Blueberrys in it.

Tough times.

10 Blueberries!!!! Where? Where? You lucky b*stard!!!

Beside the Dole Office in Blanch. Counted them while I was in the queue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:D

It is pretty bad OP - I think what Chunkylover says is how things were expected to turn out, but the reality has been far, far, far worse. I'm personally seeing a bit of an improvement in the jobs situation though of late - but that might only be certain sectors, and it might just be a flash in the pan too.
    But yep, largescale unemployment and closure of businesses. And emigration - that year in Australia isn't a laugh with your mates anymore, it's to find work. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Beside the Dole Office in Blanch. Counted them while I was in the queue

I hope you kept them to take home for your fruit bowl!

I would like to keep this thread at least somewhat serious,

(your comment wasn't even funny by the way)

Irish Economy forum is that way >

(Or is it that way <)

Welcome to After Hours bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

It's only that bad if you had a lot of money during the so called "boom years", if not then it sucks, but it's okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

Irish Economy forum is that way >

(Or is it that way <)

Welcome to After Hours bud.

More likely to get more replies in AH, but yeah I knew what I was getting into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

Serious?
    Best of luck with that.

Well 40 of our people were given their marching orders on Friday,it could have been me but wasn't ...yet.

A recession is when your neighbour loses her/his job, a depression is when you lose yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

If you had asked me last week, I would have said yes. But after seeing the turmoil, destruction, loss of life and threats of more to come in Japan:(, I am thinking we don't have it so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I am studying abroad, and I am hearing all this doom and gloom about Ireland's economic situation,people losing their jobs,the Universal Social Charge, a huge increase in suicides, businesses closing everywhere,people losing their homes, etc.

Is it really that bad or is the media being overdramatic?

What are your thoughts? Is it all true from what you have experienced?

Well, we're not as bad as the Congo but we're not s good as Germany, Sweden, France, Holland, Saudi Arabia.

We're probably on PAR with the likes of Greece, Iceland and Lybia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

No. We just got spoiled. Its a damn lot better than a lot of other kips and we are still amongst the highest living standards on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Depends on where your perspective. Out of 5 kids, one of my family members is unemployed and 3 of us are living away from home for work. Only one is in the country with a job. If I went home I wouldn't even be entitled to the dole. Most conversations lead to the crisis eventually and that's depressing.

Things weren't as bad as they were in the 80s but it's still bad...

I think people are handling it reasonably well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If you were a amateur 'property developer' back during the boom im sure it's pretty bad for you now,I had feck all money back then and still do now so its not been much of a change for me!most of my mates that want to work still have jobs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The poll should have had degrees of badness from 1 to 100 so most of us could press 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

rebel10 wrote: »
    If you had asked me last week, I would have said yes. But after seeing the turmoil, destruction, loss of life and threats of more to come in Japan:(, I am thinking we don't have it so bad.

the events in japan puts everything into perspective really. But i wouldn't dismiss our problems either. We're on the brink of an argentina style default. its only a matter of time really. even if we don't default our economy is going to be very sluggish for the next 10/15/20 years. It was reported today that 25 billion more is needed for the banks. nobody knows what that final bank figure is. guess where that money is going to come from - our pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well yeah of course Ireland is far better to live in than a lot of places, but the OP specifically asked about economy-related stuff here - and the reality is, it is very bad. It's not just bad for people who had loads of money during the "boom", what about people who were earning just an average wage during that time and have now lost their jobs?
    People from all walks of life, all types of circumstances, are suffering - not just those who were flash with the cash. There's still money, to be sure, pubs are busy, restaurants are busy. On the surface, things don't look that much different, but it was never going to just vanish overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

ilovesleep wrote: »
    the events in japan puts everything into perspective really. But i wouldn't dismiss our problems either. We're on the brink of an argentina style default. its only a matter of time really. even if we don't default our economy is going to be very sluggish for the next 10/15/20 years. It was reported today that 25 billion more is needed for the banks. nobody knows what that final bank figure is. guess where that money is going to come from - our pockets.

Yep,that's the point.We haven't seen the worst yet.
    Time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Dudess wrote: »
    Well yeah of course Ireland is far better to live in than a lot of places, but the OP specifically asked about economy-related stuff here - and the reality is, it is very bad. It's not just bad for people who had loads of money during the "boom", what about people who were earning just an average wage during that time and have now lost their jobs?
    People from all walks of life, all types of circumstances, are suffering - not just those who were flash with the cash. There's still money, to be sure, pubs are busy, restaurants are busy. On the surface, things don't look that much different, but it was never going to just vanish overnight.

thats exactly it - the things we do like go to the pub or that - things like that are a part of daily living for most. how long that will last who knows.
    but as well as what dudess said - the economy is facing big challanges in the coming years. its no just about whether or not you have money in your pocket or enough to pay the bills - its mainly a bigger picture thing at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Things are bad for a minority of people. The media have it hyped up to the hilt because there's no news like bad news.

Also everyone and their mother is jumping on the "poor me" ship as well because they can't afford two holidays a year and a new car every couple of years any more because the credit well has dried up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I got paid some money this week, so it's a good one, last 3 were ****e though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

galwayrush wrote: »
    I got paid some money this week, so it's a good one, last 3 were ****e though.

The "long-finger" - infinity and beyond.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Things are bad for a minority of people. The media have it hyped up to the hilt because there's no news like bad news.

Also everyone and their mother is jumping on the "poor me" ship as well because they can't afford two holidays a year and a new car every couple of years any more because the credit well has dried up.

Not everyone lived on credit, took holidays every year, bought and upgraded cars every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

The worst thing about the whole economic mess is the unemployment crisis. The lack of jobs is infuriating. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It is bad and it's going to be pretty bad for years to come for your average Joe Soap

- you either have lost your job and have very little chance of getting another one
    - or you have a job and you will see ever dwindling amounts of your money actually ending up in your pocket.

This country is broke, as broke as can be and the decision was made to let the average citizen pay for it in some shape or another. So disposable income will be small for years to come (if you have any at all) which in turn means that the economy will just creep along cautiously. There will be no quick fix or sudden recovery.

And that's the best case scenario.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Not everyone lived on credit, took holidays every year, bought and upgraded cars every few years.

Indeed. And most of those people are doing alright now because they had money management skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Indeed. And most of those people are doing alright now because they had money management skills.

Until the point where the governement puts more taxes on their assets and savings (or possibly appropriates those savings altogether) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

It is bad but I dont think it is as bad as the media says.

Jobs are scarce and the cost of living is still too high compared to the average wage.

But if you are lucky enough to have a job and know how to manage your money, then you can get by.

I am celtic tiger cub, but I never saw the amount of money some people did. I have always worked hard for my money and I am glad I never had a lot of money, because if I had, I would be seriously depressed now as it would be a huge jump in lifestyle. It's much the same for me.

Only thing that annoys me is I wont be able to get a mortgage for years, and was hoping to have a house by 2014, very unlikely now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement