Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Not Recognising External Hard Drive

• 13-03-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi all

I have had a seagate hard drive for just over a year now. On Friday, I plugged it into my home computer and it did not automatically pop up, which I thought was strange. I could not access it through 'my computer' either. Yesterday, the same thing happened on my laptop - do automatic pop up and could access through 'my computer'.

The little green light on the hard drive is on and I can hear/feel it working. But it is not registering.

Has anybody any advice/suggestions on what this might be and what I could do about it? I tried switching the USB chord, but that did nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

depending on what version of windows you have, go to control panel, go to administrative tools, go to computer management, then storage, then disk management.

is your drive listed in here?

if it is, is it marked with active?
    or does it show a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Hi RoyalMarine

I tried that. But the external hard drive was not there. I refreshed, etc. but no reaction......any other suggestions....?? Thanks for your help.

do you have another computer you could test it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Hi RoyalMarine

Tried that on another computer, but no joy.....

ok, what I would do now is try to remove the hard drive from the external enclosure and connect it inside a computer.

However, i dont advise this if your not sure how.

Sadly, it looks like it might be on its way out seeing as it wont load to either computer you tried it on.
    you can safely rule out the computer being the problem.

If you know how to connect a hard drive inside a computer, then remove it from the external enclosure and connect it up.
    hopefully it will load and then you could maybe rule out the hard drive being the fault and possibly source a new enclosure for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Have you tried another USB cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

its probably a sata drive, buy a sata caddy 20 euro, and put it in the caddy,
    or try it in a freinds pc.You could try a linux live cd,eg mint ,see www.mintlinux.com,runs from cd, detects any usb drive,click mount external drive ,ok ,from mint.

Advertisement