Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is NGB coming to Ballyhaunis?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

When is "Next Generation Broadband" coming to the Ballyhaunis exchange?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    When is "Next Generation Broadband" coming to the Ballyhaunis exchange?

Hi Matt Bauer
    The Ballyhaunis exchange is due to be upgraded to NGB broadband later this year, between Sept and Nov 2011.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Hi Matt Bauer
    The Ballyhaunis exchange is due to be upgraded to NGB broadband later this year, between Sept and Nov 2011.
    Tony
    Hi Tony. Any update on this? At the moment, a line checker is telling me that I can only achieve speeds up to 7mbps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Tony. Any update on this? At the moment, a line checker is telling me that I can only achieve speeds up to 7mbps?

Hi makeorbrake,

Thanks for post.

As advised previously, NGB upgrades maybe liable to change. However, the update I have, is that the Ballyhaunis Exchange should be completed in the first quarter of the new year - January to March.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Thanks for responding Ant. I'll check back with you nearer the time.

@Ant: Just wondering if you could provide an update on this exchange upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

@Ant: Just wondering if you could provide an update on this exchange upgrade?

Hi makeorbrake,

There is not a live activation date as yet I'm afraid but we will keep you posted when we have confirmation the exchange will be NGB enabled.

Thanks, Mark

There is not a live activation date as yet I'm afraid but we will keep you posted when we have confirmation the exchange will be NGB enabled.
    Ok, no worries - Thanks Mark.

Ok, no worries - Thanks Mark.

No problem :)

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

sorry to hijack the thread , but any idea when strokestown , will be upgraded ,
    was a rep goin a around he said realy soon ?

antocann wrote: »
    sorry to hijack the thread , but any idea when strokestown , will be upgraded ,
    was a rep goin a around he said realy soon ?

Hi antocann,
    There is no indication as to if or when the The Strokestown exchage in Roscommon will be NGB enabled I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

Hi antocann,
    There is no indication as to if or when the The Strokestown exchage in Roscommon will be NGB enabled I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

hate when those door 2 door reps lie , my brother even has it in writing that they said that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kalvinl890

I am four miles from the ballyhaunis exchange and the max speed I can get is 1mb. Its too slow for watching videos as a result I cannot use "netflix" :confused:
    Mark, you first said it was to be upgraded before 2012, then you said in the first quarter and now you have NO idea? I know your only here to help but I cant bare my current speed, do you know when the Knock exchange is due to upgrade? because im inbetween knock and ballyhaunis.

thank you

kalvinl890 wrote: »
    I am four miles from the ballyhaunis exchange and the max speed I can get is 1mb.
    I'm sure Mark will come back and confirm but I don't think this upgrade necessarily extends the range of broadband coverage??
    Do you know when the Knock exchange is due to upgrade? because im in-between knock and ballyhaunis.
    I'd imagine your in between Knock ..a rock and a hard place in broadband terms. 4 miles from an exchange put's you at the limits of what's achieveable.

really? thank you I did'nt know that, so my only option is to get satalite broadband?

really? thank you I did'nt know that, so my only option is to get satalite broadband?
    NO! - Don't touch satellite with a barge pole! It's NOT an option. It should never be categorised within the same context as dsl/cable broadband.

Perhaps there are improvements that can be made. Why don't you post both speedtest & pingtest results here.

speedtest.net
    pingtest.net
    Just run the tests to the nearest server. Once done, your given the option to save/copy the results. Post the resultant url links into a forum post here.
    (be sure NOT to be running any bandwidth intensive application while carrying out the tests - that applies to all internet users within the household - to include online gaming, voip/skype, etc).

its actually 3 miles if that makes any difference

It would improve things - but bear in mind - as the line runs from the actual exchange to your house, how far it is. In any event, run the tests and post up the results. There may simply be a line fault that can be rectified.

It would improve things - but bear in mind - as the line runs from the actual exchange to your house, how far it is. In any event, run the tests and post up the results. There may simply be a line fault that can be rectified.

Hi makeorbrake
    yes that is certainly a posibility. As you said distance does determine speed capacity, but line quality would also affect speed.
    kalvinl890 could you PM me your tel no and I can run some line tests for you.
    Tony

Hi kalvinl890
    makeorbrake is correct on both points there. Distance could affect speeds as would line quality.
    Could you PM me your tel no and I can run some line tests for you.
    Tony

Mark....just checking back with you....any date set for this yet?

• Advertisement

Mark....just checking back with you....any date set for this yet?

Hi makeorbrake,

The Ballyhaunis Exchange has been put back slightly to the start of next quater. It was due to be completed by March.

As advised previously, all planned works may be liable to change due to conditions. I would be hopeful that your exchange will be completed during April.

Will update as soon as I have more information.

Regards,
    Ant

Hi makeorbrake,

The Ballyhaunis Exchange has been put back slightly to the start of next quater. It was due to be completed by March....Will update as soon as I have more information.

Thanks Ant - much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 martinpilny

Still nothing happened with line in Ballyhaunis? I´m wonder how slow is it. In other countries in europe we have 10mbit unlimited for €10/mnth max (real 10mbit,not like I have now - 7mbit but real speed is 1,5mbit). In my country we pay now for 120mbit €30 with UPC (http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.upc.cz%2Finternet%2Ffiber-power-120%2F). Do you thinking in Eircom about some price reduction? Like unlimited 8mbit of NGB for €7/mnth?!

Still nothing happened with line in Ballyhaunis?
    Going on the last indication (see above), it looks like it's time for another update from the lads here - as now it's late April.
    In other countries in europe we have 10mbit unlimited for €10/mnth max (real 10mbit,not like I have now - 7mbit but real speed is 1,5mbit). In my country we pay now for 120mbit €30 with UPC (http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.upc.cz%2Finternet%2Ffiber-power-120%2F).
    It's probably new to you Martin - but an old story to us here in IRL! Our telecoms network was left to rot away for the past 20 years while venture capitalists 'shrank the assets' and squeezed cash out of the company - meaning, NO investment in the infrastructure that was (and still is) so badly needed.

You have the benefit of UPC cable back home. However, you will only see UPC in the major urban centres over here. Don't expect to see upc in Ballyhaunis for decades to come (if at all!).
    Do you thinking in Eircom about some price reduction? Like unlimited 8mbit of NGB for €7/mnth?!
    Your dreaming! Will never happen. They are taking a pasting in the major urban centres where upc are wiping the floor with them. They don't have any competition in provincial towns like Ballyhaunis - so no incentive to offer deals like that..

Going on the last indication (see above), it looks like it's time for another update from the lads here - as now it's late April.

It's probably new to you Martin - but an old story to us here in IRL! Our telecoms network was left to rot away for the past 20 years while venture capitalists 'shrank the assets' and squeezed cash out of the company - meaning, NO investment in the infrastructure that was (and still is) so badly needed.

You have the benefit of UPC cable back home. However, you will only see UPC in the major urban centres over here. Don't expect to see upc in Ballyhaunis for decades to come (if at all!).

Your dreaming! Will never happen. They are taking a pasting in the major urban centres where upc are wiping the floor with them. They don't have any competition in provincial towns like Ballyhaunis - so no incentive to offer deals like that..

Hi Guys,

Thank you for bearing with us and I apologise for the delay on the NGB Deployment. I have double checked the schedule again and would be hopeful that Ballyhaunis will be upgraded to NGB this year.

The NGB Deployment roll out is subject to change as individual projects may be delayed/brought forward. If there is a delay in deploying an exchange, or should an exchange be deployed earlier than expected, then there will be a committment to progress this. This schedule is indicative only and may be subject to change due to various factors, including local planning issues.

I will update you on this as soon as I have more information.

Regards,
    Ant

I will update you on this as soon as I have more information.
    That's sound Ant. Will check back with you in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 martinpilny

Hey guys. If you are still interested in NGB in Ballyhaunis,so I have to tell you I got it this week. It is 24Mbit for €60/mnth. I had lot of a troubles with new modem and Eircom wasn´t really helpful,so if someone have same issue I send him the new firmware. But otherwise I´m happy with speed now (even if I get in real 13Mbit in max - measured by speedtest.net).

Hi kalvinl890,

If you would like to PM me with your eircom telephone number and I can run some checks on your broadband and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

Just got a phone line installed with yourselves as where I live mobile broadband is not an option (tried 4, not even possible to look at a photo let alone watch a video) Anyway...the engineer said he tested the line and that I would be able to get broadband but customer service are telling me I have an amber line and only a 50% chance of getting a maximum of 1.5mb broadband.
    I'll do what I can with this as I am already behind on coursework for an online course I am doing.
    What I really want to know is when will NGB be coming to Greenore?
    It is in the neighbouring village and my own parents have it and they live in the countryside a few miles from me.

• Advertisement

MariMel wrote: »
    Just got a phone line installed with yourselves as where I live mobile broadband is not an option (tried 4, not even possible to look at a photo let alone watch a video) Anyway...the engineer said he tested the line and that I would be able to get broadband but customer service are telling me I have an amber line and only a 50% chance of getting a maximum of 1.5mb broadband.
    I'll do what I can with this as I am already behind on coursework for an online course I am doing.
    What I really want to know is when will NGB be coming to Greenore?
    It is in the neighbouring village and my own parents have it and they live in the countryside a few miles from me.

Hi MariMel,

Can you PM me with your eircom account number or telephone number and I will look into your NGB query.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement