Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chamois cream

• 13-03-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all,

Is chamois cream necessary with modern cycling pants , will it make much of a difference ?
    I do spins of about 80k and am sore afterwards. Have a new saddle on order awaiting delivery to see if that is the problem.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Certainly for me the answer is a definate "yes" it is very necessary!
    You can make up a home-made version which I find very effective;
    http://www.lagazzettadellabici.com/2...ois-cream.html
    In Boots here the main ingredients are called Aqueous Cream and Emulsifying Ointment, plus the Witch Hazel and essential oil (I used Eucalyptus).
    Possibly not quite as good as the Assos version (€15 for 160grm) but costs about €18 for 1kg and should last for at least a year of very "liberal" applications! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

As a long standing sore arse sufferer, who even had to go to a consultant at one stage, I would recommend that you get the best quality bibs and saddle you can buy. Also go 'native' as underwear only make it worse. I was lucky to know a consultant that was into cycling and he recommended a saddle with the cutout that allows 'things to hang a little'. :rolleyes:

I have found a huge improvement in comfort level from a change of saddle and more especially bibs as advised by many others here and no longer feel the need to use the cream.

You are probably doing most of the above but no harm in sharing rear end woes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've never used it. Hasn't led to any problems thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

chamois cream is amazing stuff, upped my milage considerably about a month ago and after the first couple days i had to sleep with a pillow between my legs due to the saddle sores, some chamois cream sorted me right out.

btw the assos stuff is €12 in cycleways after about a month of daily application i'm only about 1/4 way through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I picked up some of the Assos stuff today and went for a 55k spin and it did feel rather pleasant, I wouldnt use it for commuting though.

€15 is the going rate down here:rolleyes:

I only got it for a charity spin from Waterford to Cork that I'm doing on Wednesday, just want to make it as comfortable as possible.

Trying a new saddle out at the moment and still getting used to it and I think the cream helped with this also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

With the right saddle, clothing and bike fit, I don't think you should need chamois cream for an 80k spin.

For longer spins (~140k+), I can also vouch for the Assos cream - very effective and well worth having a tub on standby. [This is the only Assos product I have ever bought or probably ever will buy - have you seen the price of their clothing? Crikey! My backside just ain't worth that much.]

I empathise with your plight, redzone, and sincerely hope that your choice of username isn't borne out of the severity of the symptoms from which you are currently suffering. Get well soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

Do you put it on the saddle or your hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

as most other have already said, good bibshorts is the most important thing

unfortunetly, in the bibshort world, you get what you pay for, so take the advice, if you buy cheap, you'll buy twice, never skimp out with bibshorts, its your arse and balls on the line after all

cream is great to, as i always say, id rather look at it, than for it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I use a 2 euro tub of vaseline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

RedZone,
    Chammy cream is a must have, in addition to a great saddle and great shorts.

Get this, end of story.
    assoschamie200.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What are "cycling pants"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Hyperventilation ?? :)

Lumen wrote: »
    What are "cycling pants"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For many years I never used chamois cream and, with the odd exception, I had no problems. I started using Assos cream a year or two ago, at the same time as I first tried some Assos shorts, and have had no issues with sores at all in that time. It's not at all obvious whether the chamois cream made the slightest difference, of course.

Last week though, I used an old pair of shorts with no chamois cream on the turbo trainer. It was a 45 minutes session but reasonably intense. It started to feel quite uncomfortable from about 30 minutes in and I had raw patches by the end which have taken several days (plus sudocream) to recover. The culprit was most likely the shorts themselves (non-bibs so more prone to move about a little, but these used to be very comfortable shorts when I used them regularly a few years back), and probably not helped by spending lots of time in the saddle and with the extra heat of using a turbo trainer indoors. Still, raw patches stick in the memory so I'll welcome the chamois cream next time I got on the bike even though I've no real evidence to suggest it makes a big difference for me.

Incidentally, I'd distinguish being "sore" (aching) from being "raw" (aggravated or broken skin). For me the chamois cream is an attempt to prevent chafing, but it certainly won't prevent you from getting a sore rear end if the saddle and/or shorts are uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

Thanks everyone for all the replies and advice on the chamois cream.
    I think I have decent shorts (santini bibs) feel free to correct me , and am in the process of changing the saddle (bike came fitted with a selle italia X2 cutout type which I find very uncomfortable).
    I am going to try a Charge spoon. Hope this will sort out the soreness.
    Cheers.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Great thread, some good advice here. I was only considering buying some chamois cream to try it out as I'm getting a small raw area under each ass cheek. From what I read here though it looks like I need some bib shorts too. Another battering for the credit card so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

This has to be up there with some of the great questions of our time, such as "Is there a God?" or "Are we alone in the universe?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

+1 on the Assos cream
    If i dont use it or similar I start to get these Chaffed areas.
    Good bib shorts goes without saying. And no Gaa shorts:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

It goes on your botty but not your "hole". Assos instructions says to avoid the mucus membrane:eek:. You can also add some to the chamois to the padding in the shorts for "added comfort".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Use the uddelrly smooth stuff myself, as it is half the price of assos and does the job. Also used generic E45 and vaseline on occasion when caught short, E45 ok but vaseline not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

smacl wrote: »
    Use the uddelrly smooth stuff myself, as it is half the price of assos and does the job. Also used generic E45 and vaseline on occasion when caught short, E45 ok but vaseline not great.

+1 on udderly, i normally cover the chammy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Reggy

Can I bump and ask you kind folk: along with the chamois cream, and decent padded shorts, does anybody recommend using a padded cover for your saddle?

I am going on a short tour next week (doing distances of around 60Km a day) and I am anxious to make the journey as comfortable as possible. I am used to doing similar mileage but not over a number of consecutive days. usually my arse is ok after these journey but I always have the luxury of a rest day after wards.

My friend uses the gel cover and he says it is ok but it moves about a little. I dont have money to buy a new saddle as the tour is costing me a fortune as is!! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

In my experience it's more to do with friction than the saddle being too hard. Therefore a saddle cover could easily add to the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I've never used chamois cream and have never had any problems. Phear my buns of steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

E45 for long spins. Seems to work for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I've never used chamois cream and have never had any problems. Phear my buns of steel.
    Me either. I occasionally put vaseline on before a long spin, but if I forget it doesn't seem to make much difference. My priority list is.

1. Correct Saddle,
    2. Correct Shorts,
    3. Cycle Regularly,
    4. Chamois Cream.

Advertisement