Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do people really shoot in Auto?

• 13-03-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago we had a visit from President McAleese to our local village. Of course I went armed with my camera. Was talking to another photographer who told me to shoot in continuous mode so I started talking about shooting in manual and he just said "I just shoot in Auto and work away"

I was taken aback - I do prefer Manual. However, it got me thinking. I know another person who started wedding photography and worked away in Auto as well.

Do people really do this and "get away with it". Does it matter how you get the shot as long as you get it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I spent the last 7 years playing in wedding bands. The amount of people invited with SLR's using the stock kit lens and flash with it on fully auto was insane. I'd say every wedding had at least 3/4 people doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

On any camera I own that HAS an auto mode of some description I'd probably use it about 90% of the time, with a touch of exp comp where I think it might be neccessary.
    How do you meter ? If you're relying on your in-camera meter and just setting the manual settings to match then you're just doing exactly what the camera would do, only more slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

On a wedding day I shoot a mixture of aperture/shutter priority and manual depending on whats needed, if people shoot in auto then thats their lookout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

It depends, I try my best to shoot aperature ortime priority (can't remember the exact words, blame the flu!) as the situation demands, but on a really sunny day when I'm taking random photos... I'll go auto. Or if I'm inside and not doing anything terribly creative, I'll go with auto. I'm still trying to figure it out as I go along, and sometimes it's just safer to at least get something than risk not even getting a chance to work on your composition...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I almost always shoot in manual. I find the camera just doesn't get it the way I desire most times. It's as easy change a setting in this mode as it is to change exp comp. Whatever works best for you is what you should use. No right or wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

always manual for me unless the light is changing very fast and the subject might be moving fast. The work I do 90% of the time wouldn't require anything other than manual though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Manual in studio, Av plus EV corrections 90% time, 9% manual and 1% in auto - when somebody wants to try the camera :D
    I think I have understood how the camera meters for me, so Av and EV correction does what I expect it to do. Next challenge is using flashgun and camera on Manual. Still a bit delays my shooting, because I have think about it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Rarely use full manual, usually aperature priority or shutter priority. If I'm doing a composite shot I'll swap to manual and vary the settings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I use the Professional mode quite a bit too, though I don't just accept the settings the camera gives me. You have the exposure settings on display in the viewfinder and two rotary dials. One will quickly change between all the EV settings and the other gives exposure compensation. This gives me full control of the exposure very quickly.

Understanding exposure and how your camera works is important. The actual method you use to get there is not so much of an issue. If ISO 200 f8 1/125th is the ideal exposure it doesn't matter a jot to the shot which mode achieves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

At the moment I shoot pretty much exclusively in Manual, sometimes in Av mode. Mainly, I find manual is great for forcing me to slow down, and think more about the shot I'm taking. Personally, it helps me concentrate more on all aspects of the shot, so I'm using it as part of the learning process.
    But, if you're on a job, where the end product is the only thing that matters, then it makes no difference how you get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Something I had wondered/pondered about a while back - i.e. the degree of manual control vis-a-vis the various exposure modes...

Just to use my own example, as I haven't dipped my toe in the DSLR waters yet.

My Canon PowerShot S90 has the following main modes (ranging from full auto to full manual):

Full Auto: Camera takes full control over everything - i.e. basic "point and shoot" mode.

Program Mode: Camera controls shutter speed and aperture, and everything else can be either automatic or user defined (manual override?) as required - i.e. exposure comp., ISO, etc... Camera algorithms probably biased towards maintaining as high a shutter speed as practically possible (for fairly obvious reasons - i.e. camera shake)...

Shutter Priority Mode: You decide what particular shutter speed you want/require, and the camera automatically sets the appropriate/corresponding aperture for you (i.e. saving you the time/trouble)... Exposure comp., ISO, etc. can be set as required...

Aperture Priority Mode: You decide/set what particular aperture you want/require, and the camera automatically sets the corresponding/appropriate shutter speed for you... Exposure comp., etc. can be set as required...

Full Manual Mode: You directly control and manually make all the exposure settings yourself (no exposure compensation necessary).

By todays standards, the last three modes could possibly be considered forms/variations of manual mode (or practically tantamount to) - as you essentially have full control over everything, when including exposure compensation...

In Program Mode, the exposure compensation is a form of manual override - giving you some manual control over exposure (maybe sufficient manual control, depending on the situation)...

What mode you use use could be just simply down to what a particular situation might essentially require, and the most effective (and maybe efficient) of way of fulfilling that requirement... The mode itself may not necessarily matter that much, but the particular requirement of a situation might - i.e. the particular requirement of a situation maybe determining/influencing what mode to use...

Full Auto (it's there for a reason) may give you the required/desired results, and it may just depend on what is acceptable/required for a particular situation...

Ultimately, it's the results that speak for themselves - I guess... Just a personal perspective, FWIW...:) Best of luck!

EDIT: I usually just use Program (auto?) mode, and set exposure comp. and ISO as required, and then just work my way down to full manual mode - depending on a particular requirement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I mainly shoot in Aperture or Shutter Priority modes, using Manual very rarely. As long as I get the shot I want, I couldn't give two figs how I get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm all manual, all the time. Even if it goes wrong sometimes.

It's something that annoys me about camera magazines.
    "Make the transition to manual" etc..

It's like, surely at least 9 out of 10 people reading a photography magazine are using manual!

In manual mode you really only need worry about 3 main settings. You're only taking one away by using the semi modes. May as well just control that too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How many people use autofocus? Isn't it 90% composition anyway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aperture priority 95% of the time on any (i.e. two) cameras which offer it, manual the rest of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

I have to chip in that full auto technology has come on leaps and bounds in the past few years.

In response to the op I tend to shoot mostly in aperture priority mode and trust in the autofocus.

On saying that, some of my best shots have arisen from grabbing the camera, flicking to auto and "firing at random" :o

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I don't think I ever used a DSLR in Auto mode. I think my first two shots, of a flower in my back garden, were done with Auto, then I took them in, looked at them on the PC, and decided if I wanted to learn anything I'd have to get out of Auto (well, I didn't think it like that, I instead just decided that I wanted to know what the other buttons did!)

These days, I rarely leave Manual mode, to be honest. Used to use Aperture priority as a walk-around setting, but I haven't done that in a while. It's all manual these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't have much of a choice, my D200 doesn't really have a full auto mode, so everything's done fully manual.

It can be a pain though, as it might take a shot or three to get the right exposure, I hate messing with exposure in photoshop.

The P,A,S modes are considered semi-Auto [though P is close to full auto, only you can change the ISO, I think?] and M being the only full manual mode no matter the camera. I don't know anyone who uses the 'scene' modes you get on some cameras. Like portrait, landscape etc ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

What's the point of having a DSLR if you mostly (or only) use full Auto? It's like buying a nice set of oil paints, pointing at a nice landscape and then watching as someone stands and paints the picture for you.

The P,A,S modes are considered semi-Auto [though P is close to full auto, only you can change the ISO, I think?] and M being the only full manual mode no matter the camera. I don't know anyone who uses the 'scene' modes you get on some cameras. Like portrait, landscape etc ...

I used to think of aperture and shutter priority modes as semi-automatic modes - but lately have noticed that the distinction seems to have become, well, maybe less distinct... I have also wondered why would you need to use full manual mode, when aperture or shutter priority modes with exposure compensation would do the same thing (I think)... From a purely practical and efficiency point of view, I would just simply use the mode that gives the desired result with the least effort... I do understand/recognise/appreciate the more technical/creative side of photography - but sometimes it may need a degree of time and patience that may not be practicable in certain situations...

Program mode in my camera allows for exposure compensation, as well as control over ISO...

I've never used the scene modes (or full auto mode, for that matter) in my camera, and think it's too awkward to even bother with them... However, I must get around to trying them out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Auto mode drives me insane. Never could use it. Same with auto focus.

Manual all the way. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

4/5 years ago when learning how to use my camera I turned my camera to manual and it's been on it ever since. Can't beat it!!

woody_2000 wrote: »
    I used to think of aperture and shutter priority modes as semi-automatic modes - but lately have noticed that the distinction seems to have become, well, maybe less distinct... I have also wondered why would you need to use full manual mode, when aperture or shutter priority modes with exposure compensation would do the same thing (I think)... From a purely practical and efficiency point of view, I would just simply use the mode that gives the desired result with the least effort... I do understand/recognise/appreciate the more technical/creative side of photography - but sometimes it may need a degree of time and patience that may not be practicable in certain situations...

Program mode in my camera allows for exposure compensation, as well as control over ISO...

I've never used the scene modes (or full auto mode, for that matter) in my camera, and think it's too awkward to even bother with them... However, I must get around to trying them out...

Each to their own, but I much prefer to just control the aperture and shutter speed myself. I find exp compensation more fiddly on the go. I sometimes choose Aperture priority for DOF when I'm being lazy, To me, that's all auto modes are. laziness.

Each to their own, but I much prefer to just control the aperture and shutter speed myself. I find exp compensation more fiddly on the go. I sometimes choose Aperture priority for DOF when I'm being lazy, To me, that's all auto modes are. laziness.

It depends on what your perspective might be, I guess...

Just like anything else, there are apparent and different aspects and facets to photography...

But, as you say, to each their own... No harm in that, I guess...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I don't have much of a choice, my D200 doesn't really have a full auto mode, so everything's done fully manual.

It can be a pain though, as it might take a shot or three to get the right exposure, I hate messing with exposure in photoshop.

The D200 has PASM. This is Program, A Priority, S Priority & Manual. The Program is considered Auto as it will select both the Aperture & Shutter Speed for you. These are not fixed but suggested according to the metering you have chosen. You can scroll through the EV Equivalents by using the rear dial. So if it gives f8 125th you can scroll to f5.6 250th or f11 60th etc. The front dial will adjust the Exposure Compensation which will shift the metering value, so moving that +1 stop will take f8 125th to either f5.6 125th or f8 60th. So while this is an Auto Mode it is highly controlable.

The A & S Modes are Semi Auto so that one parameter is fixed and the other varies. The Exposure Comp operates the same.

The M mode is fully Manual and the Exposure Comp does not have an effect on either parameter.

Promac wrote: »
    What's the point of having a DSLR if you mostly (or only) use full Auto? It's like buying a nice set of oil paints, pointing at a nice landscape and then watching as someone stands and paints the picture for you.

Doesn't matter what mode you use if you arrive at the same end point. Understanding and control are what matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

I shoot in A + S priority modes mostly these days. To some it’s lazy, but then the effort to get out and drive to new locations (which, when you arrive may not be so fantastic -- given how unpredictable the light/weather can be) is bad enough. And yeah, sometimes Auto is great for a few safety shots.

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/4-reasons-not-to-write-off-shooting-in-automatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i'd never discriminate with someone cause they use auto - if the image is good , and challenging , and different, thats good enough for me - regardless of what the settings were on the camera

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Generally use Aperture Priority mode myself with a bit of manual on occasion. There's one particular reason I can't stand manual, the flash can just pop up whenever it feels like it yet I never can seem to agree with it . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I'm in manual, with spot metering about 95% of the time.

The thing I don't like about the semi auto modes is that if you're using spot metering, you have to hold down the exposure lock button after you've metered off what you want to be properly exposed, otherwise the camera will continue to meter from the centre point, throwing your exposure way off as you're recomposing. I just find working like that extremely awkward as I'm already using back button auto focus, not enough fingers :p

Also, I'm never happy with the results I get from evaluative/matrix metering modes. I find they have a tendency to over expose a bit too much.

That being said, I watched an interview with Jay Maisel recently, and he uses aperture priority with matrix metering and a 3 stop bracket. Oh, and his ISO is always at 1600. Seemed to be the perfect setup for his style of street photography, he never seemed to move his aperture from f5.6. He wanted to focus purely on getting the shot and not worry about all the settings. Might give this method a go next time on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

May I ask those that use Manual mode mainly, how do you expose your photo ? do you use the camera's exposure meter ?

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Generally use Aperture Priority mode myself with a bit of manual on occasion. There's one particular reason I can't stand manual, the flash can just pop up whenever it feels like it yet I never can seem to agree with it . biggrin.gif

You can usually turn that off. I think most people who use Program mode do so because it's just Auto but without the flash strobing the face off people.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    May I ask those that use Manual mode mainly, how do you expose your photo ? do you use the camera's exposure meter ?

Can only speak for myself, but generally I'll expose by eye. Not very often, but every now and then, I'm way off. In which case, I'll resort to the camera meter. Generally only really need it when it's overly dark or bright.

I like the consistency of Manual mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Having a camera body with no built in flash generally stops one from popping up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

swiftblade wrote: »
    Auto mode drives me insane. Never could use it. Same with auto focus.

Manual all the way. :)

wawawa waaait a second. what's wrong with auto-focus?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I usually have a ballpark idea of exposure from Sunny 11 or just experience of what indoor lighting levels are usually like, followed by (if the camera I'm using has a meter) a spot metering of my palm (effectively a cheap incident meter), then (if there's time) spot metering of the scene with some predetermined ideas of how it should be exposed (usually: skintones around +1 stop, concrete about the same, important highlights not much more than around +2.5 stops, important shadows not less than -3 stops, etc.), then compromise if you run out of available dynamic range.

It's pretty quick once you get used to it and it really forces you to see and think in terms of how the final image will appear.

Although, this varies with what kind of medium I'm using. I'll be a lot more amenable to a far higher ceiling on the important highlights when using negative film, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I shoot manual all the time, because I learned how to use a camera in the dark, dark world of concert photography! In fairness, you have to use manual there - the camera evaluates for the dark scene overall (or in spot metering you have to be, well, spot on with where you take it from), so there's not much choice.

I'm a chimper as a result. But generally you get to know the rough idea of the locations you're lighting (start at f2.8, iso 1600 1/80 and work from there!) Snap three at the start, gauge from the results there.

As a result, and to my detriment often, I always use manual - for everything. I'm quick with the controls, but still have trouble evaluating other scenes as quickly as stage shows.

Autofocus is always on for me. I've never had trouble with it and unless I was gonna be at f1.2 I wouldn't have any need for switching to manual. I'm using a film camera at the moment with iso 200 film and focusing at f2 is a bloody nightmare.

By eye. usually only takes me one tester shot, adjust accordingly and away ya go. You just know sometimes before you take a shot in or around what settings you need. If I trusted the camera's exposure meter 100% I suppose I'd settle for Auto modes. But I don't as they always seem to be a bit off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

w/o flash, Aperture priority 99% of the time for me. Will use shutter priority generally just for panning shots.

I check the histogram a lot, & most of the time dial in some level of exposure comp.

With flash, it is manual all the time.

Shooting landscapes, I will occasionally try the A-Dep mode, where the camera attempts to maximise DOF - can work well sometimes but I dont really have the hang of it.
    -FoxT

gloobag wrote: »
    I'm in manual, with spot metering about 95% of the time.

OK. Full manual exposure with flexible spot metering may be a good reason/argument for shooting manual.
    The thing I don't like about the semi auto modes is that if you're using spot metering, you have to hold down the exposure lock button after you've metered off what you want to be properly exposed, otherwise the camera will continue to meter from the centre point, throwing your exposure way off as you're recomposing. I just find working like that extremely awkward as I'm already using back button auto focus, not enough fingers :p

Once again, a good reason to shoot manual.
    Also, I'm never happy with the results I get from evaluative/matrix metering modes. I find they have a tendency to over expose a bit too much.

I just use Program mode in combination with evaluative/matrix metering most of the time with my compact, and use exposure compensation as required. This works sufficiently well for me. I do usually find myself using exposure compensation to underexpose most of the time, relative to the camera's evaluative/matrix metering.
    That being said, I watched an interview with Jay Maisel recently, and he uses aperture priority with matrix metering and a 3 stop bracket. Oh, and his ISO is always at 1600. Seemed to be the perfect setup for his style of street photography, he never seemed to move his aperture from f5.6. He wanted to focus purely on getting the shot and not worry about all the settings. Might give this method a go next time on the streets.

Sometimes manual exposure is just too complex and distracting for certain situations - and may take from a situation. I find with my Canon PowerShot S90 that Program mode (with exposure compensation) is generally the most useful for my purposes - and is, in a way, a sort of smart shutter priority mode (i.e. biased to maintaining as high a shutter speed as possible). Combined with this, and the fact that compact cameras are inherently less flexible when it comes to playing with depth of field (good if you need deep focus), I find shutter priority and aperture priority modes to be maybe less useful than they might otherwise be - and are mainly only useful for very particular situations. Full manual mode is, of course, for such a camera, very handy to have when you need to go beyond the more usual exposure parameters. While no SLR, such a compact camera is very handy to take anywhere, and for more impromptu purposes and situations. I also shoot RAW, hence I can play with the RAW files accordingly afterwards - if necessary (shoot first, ask questions later - maybe). As well as exposure, I also find that using the front ring around the lens set for stepped focal lengths, and defaulting to 35mm or 50mm on power-up (and maybe jumping up or down a focal length step as necessary) is also quicker and less distracting than bothering/messing with the regular zoom control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I used full auto for years with film cameras, and then dodged and burned like crazy in the darkroom.
    When I got my first DSLR, i was determined not to go the same route and went on a local education centre course.
    Best thing I ever did, showed me how to take much better pictures in all the different modes as well as manual, and helped me to finally understand what I was doing.

We are all spoilt with digital, doesnt matter if you get it wrong, you can see instant results.

I still shoot the shot in program for comparision. 9/10 I get a better shot adjusting it myself. Landscapes and portraits you have time to do this. But with sports, I find the programme settings are as close to what I would set them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

P Mode about 80% of the time. But then again I only take snaps!

Better off with a compact in that case.

Better off with a compact in that case.

You're probably right.

5d2 and 35mm 1.4 up for sale then:o

Swap you for a D90 and a couple of lenses in that case.

Swap you for a D90 and a couple of lenses in that case.

Why would I need a D90 when you've already told me I need a point and shoot? :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    P Mode about 80% of the time. But then again I only take snaps!
    You're probably right.

5d2 and 35mm 1.4 up for sale then:o

A 5D even has a P mode? The HORROR!

I would have at least thought you would be shooting in Av and playing with all that lovely aperture of your 35 f/1.4.

Why would I need a D90 when you've already told me I need a point and shoot? :confused:

You don't but it's easier use than what you have. While you were trying to be funny like ...

5uspect wrote: »
    A 5D even has a P mode? The HORROR!

I would have at least thought you would be shooting in Av and playing with all that lovely aperture of your 35 f/1.4.

Ah sure it's probably wasted on me. I even use the autofocus ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I can't believe people are just allowed walk into a shop and buy a camera. There should be a theory test at least, and some kind of provisional licence before you're let out on your own...

• Advertisement
Advertisement