Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do people really shoot in Auto?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

5uspect wrote: »
    A 5D even has a P mode? The HORROR!

A pro I know has a great line, "P is for Professional" :D

Like many pro, he's completely manual. For my sins, 90% Aperature and 10% Manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Most people I know who actually make a living from photography use one of the semi-auto modes.

I only have two (from last week! Yay!) cameras that have anything other than manual, and I bloody use the AV when it's available! I shoot manual when I need to (when there's weird light and the metering is doing weird things for instance) but it'd be maybe 10 percent of the time. Then again, I shoot different stuff with the digital than I do with my film cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I am normally in aperture priority mode. I shoot gig shots too and I have to go manual as my 400d does not have spot metering. any low light senario means i have to go manual.

I have even tried using manual focus the odd time but they rarely turn out well

I suppose I could be more hardcore but I just don't care.

I have also talked to a pro wedding photographer that says he nearly also uses the program mode. He said you do not have time to be messing around with it you just need to get the shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Haven't read the whole thread (don't have time today), but...

...Full Auto has it's place just as every other camera setting has.
    For me, that means Full Auto is for holiday snapshots and other photos that are much more about getting that exact moment in time, then about whether or not the focus is just right or the shot is technically perfect.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    Ah sure it's probably wasted on me. I even use the autofocus ffs.

Autofocus ftw, I haven't the best eyesight and I'd be lost without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I shoot in shutter priority because im afraid that I will make cock up and waste a day out shooting if I go fully manual.

I really need to tag along with another motor sport tog to learn:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

5uspect wrote: »
    A 5D even has a P mode? The HORROR!
    Hasn't every camera got a P mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I had to get mine out to confirm!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Hasn't every camera got a P mode

sorry, I forgot these:
    [sarcasm][/sarcasm]

• Advertisement

Promac wrote: »
    I had to get mine out to confirm!

fnarr.

Right into that one - nose-first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I really have to relearn how to set my camera up in manual I'm just to lazy. I did do a photography class in college so I know the fundamentals.

The camera takes good enough raw photos that I work with in photoshop but the flash goes crazy trying to set itself up I've missed photos because of it. It's just one of those things that's on my to do list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I use my nikon d40 on auto all the time :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Let's be honest, the ability to turn 2 dials to get an LED meter to sit in the middle isn't that hard.

Alot of noobs bang on about using "M" or "MANUAL" mode because they think that it makes them a real/better photographer. The truth is it doesn't other than to try impress people on forums.

Depending what and how I'm shooting I generally use aperture priority and couple that with spot metering and exposure lock rather that waste time turning 2 dials. Most of the time I'll shoot and check the histogram and reshoot if I need to.

AV is pretty much all you need for about 80% of the time, as long as you understand how ISO works and as long as you realise that Auto and the various preset modes like Landscape and Portrait will not give you the same results as setting the exposure and/or aperture yourself (F5.6 for landscapes anyone?)

The camera has no idea if it's on a tripod or not. It has no idea if it's a cloudy day or if you're shooting things with very little contrast. Or low light. Etc etc etc.

Learn what the other modes do - it's not really that difficult and no amount of "If I get a nice picture at the end" will make up for being able to get a nice picture at the start.

• Advertisement

pete4130 wrote: »
    Let's be honest, the ability to turn 2 dials to get an LED meter to sit in the middle isn't that hard.

Alot of noobs bang on about using "M" or "MANUAL" mode because they think that it makes them a real/better photographer. The truth is it doesn't other than to try impress people on forums.

Depending what and how I'm shooting I generally use aperture priority and couple that with spot metering and exposure lock rather that waste time turning 2 dials. Most of the time I'll shoot and check the histogram and reshoot if I need to.

One caveat: for studio work it's always manual. Because that's what you do with studio work. I can't see any other need to shoot manual all the time other than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

sineadw wrote: »
    One caveat: for studio work it's always manual. Because that's what you do with studio work. I can't see any other need to shoot manual all the time other than that.

Except maybe if you were a Pro :D
    of course you are a Pro in every sense except the money :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I don't think the point of using manual exposure mode is to replicate what one of the program modes would do, but more slowly. The point is to make decisions about exposure in an intelligent and meditated fashion - which you can also do using one of the auto modes and exposure lock/compensation (albeit in a way that might be considered more roundabout, from a certain perspective) - because it is instructive.

I don't think a photograph is better because it was taken with a camera in manual exposure mode, but I do think that people who can use manual mode in this way are probably better photographers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

What's a "n00b" exactly? Oh ye so advanced ...

Don't know about you lot, but I don't go around shouting "I'm shooting full manual!" - I couldn't give a fiddler's what anyone else uses, I use manual because I think the camera gets it wrong at times. Simples. If anything, it's the "pro" thing to do to use A-mode nowadays. You hear more advanced photographers shouting about how they only ever use it, and act so 'meh' about it all. End of the day, manual gives you a little bit more control, and is no more difficult to use, so why not?

My point was that it is easy to use manual mode, get the LED in the middle and say you can shoot in manual. All that being said, you could get the right exposure of f/22 and 2 seconds and get a sh1t photo.

It's understanding how and why you are choosing the aperture/iso/shutter speed is the important thing.

Thats why I mainly shoot on aperture priority. 99% of the time it doesn't matter if my shutter is 1/60th (unless its fast moving) or 1/8000th of a second.

For example the BMX sequence I posted on the random thread I took yesterday. I couldnt be bothered with AF tracking so pushed the ISO to about 2000, aperture f8 so I had a large DoF and didn't have to worry about the AF tracking so much, pre focused and had a fast shutter speed to capture the high speed movement....a conscious decision for all the aspects of exposure.

- High ISO to allow me to use a small aperture & fast shutter speed

- Fast shutter speed to freeze the movement

- Small Aperture to increase DoF so I didn't have to use AF tracking

So all of the above was a conscious decision and each with a reason.

Rather than getting the LED in the middle at a lower ISO, slower shutter speed and smaller DoF where it wouldn't have worked.

5529058766_a971013d66_z.jpg

• Advertisement

charybdis wrote: »
    I don't think the point of using manual exposure mode is to replicate what one of the program modes would do, but more slowly. The point is to make decisions about exposure in an intelligent and meditated fashion - which you can also do using one of the auto modes and exposure lock/compensation (albeit in a way that might be considered more roundabout, from a certain perspective) - because it is instructive.

I don't think a photograph is better because it was taken with a camera in manual exposure mode, but I do think that people who can use manual mode in this way are probably better photographers.

Agree 100% with this.

@charybdis Ah, but it's one thing knowing how to use it and another using it. Almost all the stuff I shoot these days is on fully manual cameras, with an external meter. I do believe that I can do that a lot more efficiently and quickly with AV or TV and a bit of exp fiddling when I have the option and the need though. That's not an issue when I'm doing an elaborately lit shoot in the studio for example, and taking maybe two shots in an hour, but it was when I was frantically trying to get the best exposure/focus/DoF of Dakar shoving the full, haemorrhaging uterus of a sheep back into said sheep, for example.

I miss a *lot* of shots with the film SLR (fully manual, right down to the film wind) that I might get if I had my 5D and was inclined to shoot that way. Horses for courses?

Don't know about you lot, but I don't go around shouting "I'm shooting full manual!"

Hahahaha! Really? I think I've seen it from you on more than one occasion.

I look at it the other way. If it is so easy use, why neglect it? I think i said it before, exp comp always winds me up, it's one of those things. I find it easier to just set the shutter speed/ISO/Aperture manually, usually only takes one or maybe two testers and away I go. I'm not allergic to A mode or anything, but some people seem like they're so proud that they use it. None of the modes will put a strain on your brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

For example the BMX sequence I posted on the random thread I took yesterday. I couldnt be bothered with AF tracking so pushed the ISO to about 2000, aperture f8 so I had a large DoF and didn't have to worry about the AF tracking so much, pre focused and had a fast shutter speed to capture the high speed movement....a conscious decision for all the aspects of exposure.

- High ISO to allow me to use a small aperture & fast shutter speed

- Fast shutter speed to freeze the movement

- Small Aperture to increase DoF so I didn't have to use AF tracking

So all of the above was a conscious decision and each with a reason.

So to play devils advocate... that's what flicking to auto/sport does on my "out and about" camera, and a lot quicker than playing with manual modes! :rolleyes:

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Timfy wrote: »

So to play devils advocate... that's what flicking to auto/sport does on my "out and about" camera, and a lot quicker than playing with manual modes! :rolleyes:

Something Dave McCann from IoP pointed out at the weekend - "Flick" to landscape mode for portraits and your camera will go to F5.6 instead of a small aperture because it has no idea that it's not on a tripod and is assuming you're hand-holding and thinks it needs to compensate for a not-fast-enough shutter speed by using a large aperture.

Preset = fail.

Promac wrote: »
    Something Dave McCann from IoP pointed out at the weekend - "Flick" to landscape mode for portraits and your camera will go to F5.6 instead of a small aperture.

Preset = fail.

Painting by numbers.

Go to the NPG in London and see all the wonderful portraits taken at f5.6 and above.

It's nearly spring, get out of that straitjacket :)

That was humour:

""Flick" to landscape mode for portraits "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

... but it was when I was frantically trying to get the best exposure/focus/DoF of Dakar shoving the full, haemorrhaging uterus of a sheep back into said sheep, for example ...

Well, top marks at least for the most visceral reason to shoot in an auto mode evAR.

I don't think that shooting manual, chimping the shot, and correcting in a subsequent shot (or shots) is really 'shooting manual' as (for example) charybdis describes it. You're using the camera as a technological crutch. What happens when you -have- to get the shot the first time 'round ? Can't take it again, ah sure no worries, just correct it in photoshop. It's lazy. Not to mention that if you're shooting film you don't ever have the luxury of being able to see what you just shot. There's one situation in which I think it's probably ok, and that's proofing lighting setups in studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

It's understanding how and why you are choosing the aperture/iso/shutter speed is the important thing.

Yes, I agree. That's a central point to understanding exposure, I think. Even if you use other modes, you should understand why you are using a particular mode relative to another mode - i.e. an educated decision on using a particular exposure mode. Each mode has its own strength/advantage relative to other modes - and has its own particular use and usefulness, depending on what you are trying to do... Of course, on a more advanced or creative level, depth of field, motion blur, mood, etc. are some of the things that can be influenced/effectuated by exposure.

Subject matter and composition are also important parts of the photographic mix, and it's not necessarily all about exposure... Ideally you need to get all parts of the mix right to get that "perfect shot" - but sometimes to get that perfect shot you may need some form automated assistance... I'm sure there are also probably good photographers who maybe know very little about exposure, but maybe know a lot about subject matter, composition, etc... And then there's lighting...

Different modes can allow you to do different things - and maybe expand your photographic capability, not restrict it... At least all these different modes give you more choice, if nothing else - and they're there to use in any way you want, if you want...

Manual was there before any other mode, and other modes then evolved/ensued as technology advanced... All these other modes are just part of a natural evolution in photographic technology, and have their own particular place and use in this modern age of photography...

Just like anything else, there are different types of photography - and photographers - each with a particular slant, etc... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

@charybdis Ah, but it's one thing knowing how to use it and another using it. Almost all the stuff I shoot these days is on fully manual cameras, with an external meter. I do believe that I can do that a lot more efficiently and quickly with AV or TV and a bit of exp fiddling when I have the option and the need though. That's not an issue when I'm doing an elaborately lit shoot in the studio for example, and taking maybe two shots in an hour, but it was when I was frantically trying to get the best exposure/focus/DoF of Dakar shoving the full, haemorrhaging uterus of a sheep back into said sheep, for example.

I miss a *lot* of shots with the film SLR (fully manual, right down to the film wind) that I might get if I had my 5D and was inclined to shoot that way. Horses for courses?

I think the reality is that you should use whatever works, which is different for different people and circumstances.

Although, I could say conversely that, in a time-critical situation (e.g.: sheep haemorrhage), having an intuitive understanding of exposure to the point that you can quickly set the desired parameters and be confident in your choices without having to worry about an auto mode getting confused by a strong backlight or a squirrel could be equally considered an advantage of manual mode in such a circumstance.
    I don't think that shooting manual, chimping the shot, and correcting in a subsequent shot (or shots) is really 'shooting manual' as (for example) charybdis describes it.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're saying I described chimping as an integral part of "shooting manual"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

charybdis wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're saying I described chimping as an integral part of "shooting manual"?

Nope, the opposite.

I do like using Aperture and shutter priority and would love to learn more about full manual . But feck it. I just like shooting . I take snap shots in auto when I dont have time to feck about with settings and just want the moment!! SO WHAT!

I see comments saying people should not be allowed to buy SLRs with out training. Jasuzzz. Would ya ever get over yourself.

Do what ever you want with your camera as long as you enjoy using it.

Seems a bit snobby to take the P1sh out of folk how just want to take pics with a good camera and lens (even if it is a kit lens) . Let them at it.

Mind your own business .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I do like using Aperture and shutter priority and would love to learn more about full manual . But feck it. I just like shooting . I take snap shots in auto when I dont have time to feck about with settings and just want the moment!! SO WHAT!

I see comments saying people should not be allowed to buy SLRs with out training. Jasuzzz. Would ya ever get over yourself.

Do what ever you want with your camera as long as you enjoy using it.

Seems a bit snobby to take the P1sh out of folk how just want to take pics with a good camera and lens (even if it is a kit lens) . Let them at it.

Mind your own business .

The dslr license comment was a joke.

gsxr1 wrote: »

I think they were being witty, at least I'd hope so.

For the record, i wasn't taking the pee when I said you may as well use a compact if you only ever use full auto. I really think you would be better off. We buy dslr not just for the better quality, but for better control. I just prefer to control as much as possible myself, then i can only blame me when I feck up! I don't do it because it makes me 'ard ass or anything :D

For the record, i wasn't taking the pee when I said you may as well use a compact if you only ever use full auto. I really think you would be better off. We buy dslr not just for the better quality, but for better control. I just prefer to control as much as possible myself, then i can only blame me when I feck up! I don't do it because it makes me 'ard ass or anything :D

I hope so also. But ya never know on boards.

For the record, i wasn't taking the pee when I said you may as well use a compact if you only ever use full auto.

I know, it's what made the comment so appealing :D;)

Your response still wasn't funny.

I get in chit for taking the mickey on here, everyone else seems to float on it.

Then, there's some who'll still take better pictures than you with a compact, such is life ;)

Your response still wasn't funny.

Funny, who mentioned funny ?

• Advertisement

Me?

I'm fairly sure Tommie would take better pictures than the lot of us combined, even on a P&S.

And of *course* the comment was a joke :rolleyes:

Who are you to say who'd take what better than who? seriously?

never heard of the chap, and still don't care who he's friends with ... the back slapping gets ridic on here sometimes. He was trying to be funny, I spotted it and added to it, it went over your head. Please read back. I offered a D90 for a 5D mkII ffs ... get over yerselves.

Who are you to say who'd take what better than who? seriously?
    It's someone who's opinion is respected around the place. Though I think it might be a bit misplaced this time.

But wait 'till I get that P&S :)

I see. You're saying mine isn't?

I take a pretty cool snap on a compact meself ;) I save those for me though, who needs to brag about that?

I see. You're saying mine isn't?
    Where exactly do you see that ?

• Advertisement

who needs to brag about that?
    Where exactly do you see that ?

You're not by any chance posting comments here meant for another thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

/sigh

There's a reason so few people frequent this forum anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

/sigh

There's a reason so few people frequent this forum anymore.

It brought Tommie out of the woodwork though. Always up for a bit of tit for tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Bought a DSLR 3 years ago. I couldn't believe how bad it was in auto. Started using M mode after a couple of weeks. Never looked back. The difference is astonishing.

Regarding the earlier poster's comment about guests at weddings, I would concur. About 3/4 of the cameras in auto.

I think though that there's a certain element of 'mine is bigger than yours' at play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

I'd love to see what mode the last 10 'Photo of the Week' pictures were taken in!! Is there a handy way to batch process EXIF data?

• Advertisement
Advertisement