Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are young american girls treated?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, me and my friend are visiting Donegal soon and we were curious since every country seems to hate America, how are Americans treated? Anything we should know? etc.
    Thanks! =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I can't speak for Donegal but tourists are treated nicely all around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

You won't be dismissed solely on the basis of your nationallity.

However you may be based on silly assumptions like this.

I personally think you should have your passports revoked pending completion of an IQ test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I personally think you should have your passports revoked pending completion of an IQ test.

I personally think you should stop being such a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

since every country seems to hate America, how are Americans treated?

You are more then welcome here anyway
    Bring all your family and friends, Ireland needs tourists and Donegal is a great place.

I know nothing about surfing but seems to be the place to be

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You won't be dismissed solely on the basis of your nationallity.

However you may be based on silly assumptions like this.

Banned for 7 days for abusive comments

• Advertisement

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I personally think you should stop being such a dick.
    While I agree with the sentiment expressed I would ask you to attack the post and not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

You shouldn't worry about being treated poorly, you'll be fine! come over and enjoy yourselves.

Always remember that for every one person who is nasty to you theres thousands of others who'll be the opposite.

Also, you should use this opportunity to ask advice on places to go, things to see etc, so ask away if you want! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Cead Míle Fáilte

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi, me and my friend are visiting Donegal soon and we were curious since every country seems to hate America, how are Americans treated? Anything we should know? etc.
    Thanks! =)

Nobody hates Americans. Republicans on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Nobody hates Americans. Republicans on the other hand.<- ???

every one will treat you with respect you do get the odd muppet but i am sure a few choice words and you can put them in place hope you enjoy your trip.

take care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

If you go to the D4 area of Dublin you'll feel right at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

You'll get on more than fine here. Americans are well received. You might bump onto the odd drunken fool but the same fools would be giving the english a hard time for being english, the french a hard time for being french etc.

You'll more than likely encounter some friendly banter but thats to be expected. Give as good as you get.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I guess I should clarify what I mean by "Republican" in a Donegal forum and for the benefit of our American friends.

Ireland is a fairly liberal European country with a conservative, uptight Catholic history that is fortunately dying. Nutters like George Bush, Sarah Palin and Glen Beck are pretty much hated right across Europe. People don't hate Americans, they detest this neo-facist loonies.

When Bush visited Ireland he was met with protests and hostility by the public. In contrast Bill Clinton was welcomed wholeheartedly when he visited and walked the streets to huge public support.

Donegal has plenty of Irish Republicans, nothing to do with the GOP whatsoever.
    This is a political movement concerned with Irish Republicanism and unification of the north and the south.

The stereotypical American tourist is a parody of the loud obnoxious Texan spouting "Oh my Gawwd" every second sentence. The stereotypical Irish tourist is a pale (or sunburnt) skinny chap in a GAA jersey and drunk. While there is a grain of truth to both you won't have an ounce of trouble on your trip.

There is a general perception that Americans are dumb. Of course this is nonsense but it's a reputation that is reinforced by the aforementioned nutters.

Also be prepared for the Irish sense of humour, it can be quite cutting and sarcastic. Another myth is that Americans don't appreciate irony, we just tend to pile it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 atripabroad

Thank you so much everyone. We were just curious. We're going to Letterkenny, what are some things that are a must there?

5uspect wrote: »
    I guess I should clarify what I mean by "Republican" in a Donegal forum and for the benefit of our American friends.

Ireland is a fairly liberal European country with a conservative, uptight Catholic history that is fortunately dying. Nutters like George Bush, Sarah Palin and Glen Beck are pretty much hated right across Europe. People don't hate Americans, they detest this neo-facist loonies.

When Bush visited Ireland he was met with protests and hostility by the public. In contrast Bill Clinton was welcomed wholeheartedly when he visited and walked the streets to huge public support.

Donegal has plenty of Irish Republicans, nothing to do with the GOP whatsoever.
    This is a political movement concerned with Irish Republicanism and unification of the north and the south.

The stereotypical American tourist is a parody of the loud obnoxious Texan spouting "Oh my Gawwd" every second sentence. The stereotypical Irish tourist is a pale (or sunburnt) skinny chap in a GAA jersey and drunk. While there is a grain of truth to both you won't have an ounce of trouble on your trip.

There is a general perception that Americans are dumb. Of course this is nonsense but it's a reputation that is reinforced by the aforementioned nutters.

Also be prepared for the Irish sense of humour, it can be quite cutting and sarcastic. Another myth is that Americans don't appreciate irony, we just tend to pile it on.
    There are both history and politics forums for the likes of that.

Please stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Thanks! =)

Hi atripabroad,

You will be most welcome in Donegal, I have family from Philly and Jersey that come over here every few years, the prefer to stay in Donegal and visit the rest of Ireland from here.
    Let us know if you need any help planning your trip and I'm sure we will help out.

Theblueirish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kate76

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Off topic rant removed.

Have you spent many Saturday nights in Letterkenny?

I don't think its any worse than any other town in Ireland and come to think about it I would prefer Letterkenny to alot of places I have been to.

I also don't think your post is on topic with the orignal post.

Theblueirish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Jeez. Hardly recognized a single user name on the first page of this.

I honestly thought the thread had been moved from somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah must have been moved from somewhere

Quite a few poor posts in this thread but in short you shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever.

As for things to do, depends what sort of thing you're looking for obviously but Glenveagh National Park is probably the most popular tourist spot in the county and well worth a visit

Just to confirm that the post originated in this forum and wasn't moved from anywhere else. :)

Sadly there are certain people who will sit at their PC's refreshing this page just to keep an eye out for something that they consider worthy of a smart arsed reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Yep, Glenveagh National Park is a must. Would also suggest An Grianan ring fort, and maybe a drive around the coast if the weather is half-way decent. Try here for other suggestions: www.letterkennyonline.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Letterkenny has some nice town parks, a museum, and a great theatre and cultural centre. If you wnat to pm me the date you're coming over I can tell you whats on.

Theres a lot of good pubs, some great live music as well as traditional music sessions. What do you like to do? sports, history, recreation, siteseeing, treeking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I am very sure you will enjoy yourselves and will be made most welcome.

Ireland is a peaceful place apart from the odd bunfight at the boards.ie corral :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Alot of Americans and Irish at times call Ireland "The 51st State". I highly doubt anyone in Ireland has a problem with an Americans.
    If your staying in letterkenny, you've picked the best town for nightlife, you should try some surfing in bundoran (which isnt far away).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

We have no problem unless you are amongst this group:

http://tinyurl.com/688pxhc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Thank you so much everyone. We were just curious. We're going to Letterkenny, what are some things that are a must there?

To be honest, don't hang around Letterkenny too much. Not a lot there, but do use it as a base to see the fantastic beaches around the donegal coastline, and the many other beautiful sights in this stunning county

• Advertisement

Come on in and have a ball is what I'd say to that. :)

Advertisement