Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile Questions

Options
  • 13-03-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Thinking about porting over to 3 Mobile and just wanted to ask people on 3 for advice. Specifically, just wondering:

1. What's the coverage like compared to other networks?
    2. Is it true that there are a number of restricted websites through mobile internet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

been with 3 for 4 years.

1) Great in urban areas, can be dodgy in the sticks, but then most networks are.

2) yes, I think there are a few threads on here about it. it's mostly 'adult' types sites from what I gather, although I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

Thanks for that :).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Coverage has been pretty much the same as with meteor for me.

Yes, adult websites tend to be blocked on mobile network.

As a con I will add that 3 have moved their customer service to India, so ringing with queries can be a chore, and you have to pay for voicemail >:(

This post has been deleted.
    Yeah, I've ordered one from their site so I'll give it a go when it arrives to see how I find it :). But that's grand then, once they aren't blocking everyday sites.
    Coverage has been pretty much the same as with meteor for me.

Yes, adult websites tend to be blocked on mobile network.

As a con I will add that 3 have moved their customer service to India, so ringing with queries can be a chore, and you have to pay for voicemail >:(
    Their website says that 3Pay voicemail is free. Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'm on a bill so maybe its different. Absolute joke though.

I'm on a bill so maybe its different. Absolute joke though.
    Yeah probably that. It is ridiculous though, it's the same with o2, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Internet is not blocked anymore if your on the flex max plans (as long as you have the all you can eat add on). If your getting a flex plan or flex fix you can get the block lifted by calling customer care. On pre pay adult sites are blocked with no current way of getting the block lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

If you rely on data make sure you're in an area with a good signal, when bounced over to Vodafone 2G you might find your phone useless, as I did.

...although with the new 'all you can eat' data package I wonder how 3G data speeds will be affected, with everybody filling up on streaming radio and Youtube etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JustinOval wrote: »
    If you rely on data make sure you're in an area with a good signal, when bounced over to Vodafone 2G you might find your phone useless, as I did.

All phones work with data over 2G if your price plan allows. It's the same as being on Vodafone 2G (GPRS). It wasn't the phone stopped you it was the package you were on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

All phones work with data over 2G if your price plan allows. It's the same as being on Vodafone 2G (GPRS). It wasn't the phone stopped you it was the package you were on.

Yes, I know, I'm not blaming the phone. I'm saying the data connection provided by Vodafone for roaming on Three is useless for me here, even carrying out basic functions is often impossible.

The switch from 3G on Three to 2G roaming Vodafone itself can create periods of no service, so unless you can confirm a good, reliable, and consistent 3G signal, Three should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i just switched to 3 from meteor, and have had no coverage issues since i switched - i live in a rural area and voice is fine, as are texts. i travel from east clare to north cork and no issues with coverage.

data i'm not too sure about as i use wifi at home and at work - when i used it yesterday evening in suburb speed was only just about ok but that may have had nothing to do with 3.

Advertisement