Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty xbox from gamestop

Options
  • 13-03-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

i bought the xbox from gamestop in clarehall about 2 months, was randomly freezing now to the point were i cant get it past the boot screen, so i ended up going back up to the shop today with the console looking for a refund with my receipt and was told that i could only get a replacement as the manager isnt in on the weekend and she would ring me tomorrow confirming if i could i get a refund, if they sold me a faulty product are they not entitled to offer me a refund once i have a receipt ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

They can repair it or replace it or refund you, the choice is theirs AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Repair, refund or replacement, it's up to them what they offer you. I know the customer and the shop have to agree on the repair, refund or replacement but in general once the shop decides to offer one over the other that's it. Customers don't have a lot of back up in these situations in my experience. To be honest I'd count myself lucky they're not fobbing you off with a repair. If the manager offers you a replacement (bear in mind the shop assistant you were speaking to may not have given you the correct information) then take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

agreed.

the swap over is a good thing, most places would send it for repair which can take 3-6 weeks.

in this case, i think you are being looked after.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Hi stevek93,

The shop are obliged to offer you one of repair, replace or refund at their discretion. You are not obliged to accept this offer and can seek redress in the small claims court.

Therefore in theory they can offer a replacement and you can refuse it, demand a refund, have them refuse it and have the dispute end up in the small claims court. However the reality is that the court proceedings are highly unlikely to order a refund for an item that the retailer has offered to repair. (even if this repair would take a few weeks - anectdotally it appears that 28 days is considered reasonable) In most cases especially for first time break down the offer of repair would be deemed as being reasonable.

If Gamestop are in a position to offer you a direct replacement there and then I would personally take it. As has been mentioned already the standard repair procedure takes a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Whats the problem if your getting like for like, is it that you now don't want an xbox?

• Advertisement
Advertisement