Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad when drunk?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so when I go out and get drunk with my mates or whatever, instead of being happy and having fun I always get really upset and depressed and start thinking about sad stuff in life etc. This is all the time. No matter what, when I get drunk this is certain. I just want to know what you think and why this is happening to me, it's annoying =[ Any feedback is appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Me too. That, along with some other reasons is why I'm a teetotaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭letsbehonest

Well from what I know Alcohol is a depressant.
    I think alcohol can be involved in happy times in people lives but it can also cause people to fall into deep depressions!
    You have to monitor your drinking and cut back if needs be!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hey, so when I go out and get drunk with my mates or whatever, instead of being happy and having fun I always get really upset and depressed and start thinking about sad stuff in life etc. This is all the time. No matter what, when I get drunk this is certain. I just want to know what you think and why this is happening to me, it's annoying =[ Any feedback is appreciated
    What are you drinking? I found vodka awful for this sadness stuff. A few pints on the other hand had a total different effect on me.

I've stopped drinking completely now though.

As mentioned by Webmonkey, it really does depend on what you drink. Most people I know would have a drink or two that they know to stay away from. For a lot of them it's spirits or a particular spirit. For someone else I know it's red wine. Try changing your drinking habits, and amount. Hate to break it to you, but some people just can't drink, and don't have a good time on it no matter what form it comes in. It can take a lot of wisdom and a bit of nerve to stay away from it when out in a group. It can be hard going out with people who are drinking when you're not, but at the end of the day you'll have a better time, and people will have a better time with you when you're not sad. Change your habits but if it doesn't work, you might want to stop drinking altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

maybe drinking allows you to let your guard down and actually ponder some of those sadder things in life that you defend yourself against when you are sober? or maybe when you're sober you're too busy running around, working, or watching tv to give much thought to them.

also, alcohol can be a depressant. it causes an imbalance in your brain which can amplify your mood. If you're feeling down, it can drag you a lot further down.

Some self-reflection when you're sober might be good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

The one thing I find with alcohol is it amplifies whatever mood you're in. If I'm happy and I drink-guaranteed fun times. If I'm down and I drink (which I dont ever do anymore) guaranteed tears. If there is anything bothering you longterm try and resolve this before you drink again, as alcohol will make you feel worse, not at all better.

It's a depressant after all so don't find this quite so shocking. As others have said, try changing what you drink if you dont want to stop altogether ie whiskey causes lots of people to become aggressive / wine causes lots of people to be sleepy / vodka causes lots of people to be emotional ...(just going by what I've noticed in my friends circle altough it varies massively from person to person. Find what suits you and stick with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yep. I empathise with that. Drink slows me down knocks the edge off even numbs me a bit. I'm prone to depression and after this weekend seriously thinking of knocking it on the head. Ive been out 4 times this year and it leaves me at risk of slipping into depression each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bert61

Yep. I empathise with that. Drink slows me down knocks the edge off even numbs me a bit. I'm prone to depression and after this weekend seriously thinking of knocking it on the head. Ive been out 4 times this year and it leaves me at risk of slipping into depression each time.

Yeah that's true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Stu

I remember my dad saying to me years ago, "Only drink alcohol when your happy". I didn't take much heed to that advice years ago but i get what he was saying now that i'm a bit older.

When your sad, alcohol can make you think more deeply about your sadness and its causes. I only drink now when i'm in good form and funny enough, i don't feel great drinking beer and have switched to vodka and red bull which agrees with me and i don't get bad hangovers anymore which actually helps me to enjoy the night a lot more knowing that i'm not going to be walking around in a hazy apathetic fog the following day.

Try different drinks to see what agrees with you and drink in moderation. Binge drinking will seriously put you at risk of feeling depressed, not saying that you do binge drink but anything over 5 or 6 pints made me feel terrible the next day to the point of not wanting to be around anyone, not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree with the sentiment "only drink when happy".

I know that when I have worries or am in general bad form, drink does not help the situation. It makes me anxious, sad, depressed, and whats worse, it lingers for a few days after my night out.

Ive taken to drinking much less, and not drinking if i am stressed. It makes life much easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I agree with what most other poster said. Maybe just drink until you are merry not drunk.

Cut back on the alcohol or, better still, stay away from it. Never drink to get drunk. (Sound advice for everyone!) Alcohol isn't necessary on a night out - it's only our culture which pounds the idea in.

Advertisement