Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School rules

• 13-03-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

My children go to a fairly good school in meath.I think the Parents Assoc. is none existant and the principal can make up what ever rule she likes at a moments notice.During the snow my daughter was wearing leather boots into school to keep her feet dry.The principal lined up all the girls as soon as the snow left a warned them not to wear boots again as this was the in rules.I protested, as alot walk to school in the rain etc. and their feet are kept dry as the little T-strap shoes don`t really provide any protection from the elements.
    The girls aren`t allowed dry their hair after swiming and as a result the back of their blouse`s & jumpers are reall wet.

No running is allowed at all and recently my son was punished for WALKING TO SLOW.15mins detention plus extra english.I am meeting the principal tomorrow.

There is a huge football field that can ony be used from Apr -June weather permitting yet nearly 550 kids are jammed into a small yard and prevented from running and punished if they do.

I have spoke to other parents and they feel the same
    Has anybody else encountered similiar problems??
    The Parents Assoc. is a joke at present.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

You say the parents association is a joke at the moment. How are people elected onto this and have you put your name forward to take up a position?
    All schools have policies and procedures in place for a reason. If all the 500+ children were running around at the same time, there may be collisions and accidents. You can please some people sometimes, but you can't please all the people all the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't think many schools would allow 30 kids off with hairdryers!In our school children bring a second towel which they put around their shoulders or even wrap their hair in to take the excess moisture out of their hair.

We generally don't let children out on the field in wet weather as they get destroyed with mud and have to ring home for changes of clothes etc.I think this is sensible.

As to no running, this is sadly due to parents taking legal action against schools.

The boots and walking to school thing might be needed in a rural area where there are no footpaths, as I don't know your school, can't say if this is an issue.

I think you need to approach the parents assoc, whatever format it is in and asking them to make your concerns known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

OP, as parents, we all get frustrated at times. I do think that the responses of byhookorbycrook are sensible.
    On the point of drying hair after swimming, the wrap around turban towels available very cheaply (or a second towel as suggested) are the sensible answer. Hair dryers for a hundred children just wouldn't be an option, as most of these sessions are strictly timetabled. Many children would dawdle all day long drying their hair.
    I'm a bit confused about the detention for walking too slowly. Who told you that this was the 'offence' for which the punishment was given? The principal? Your son? If it was the principal, I would be surprised. If it was your son, from my experience, it is very common that all children will try to divert blame away from themselves (understandably) by perhaps omitting elements of the story, which thereby give a different slant to the story.I don't know for sure but it sounds pretty fishy.
    On the subject of the Parents' Association, unless you have made an effort to get yourself and others involved, then there is no point in giving out about it.
    Hope things work out for you and that there are more positive days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dunlops26

On the point about turban towels the girls normally did use these now the teachers prevent them from been used after swimming.In relation to not been allowed run in the yard the children are not allowed mix with each other either.My boy is in 6th and his sister is in 4th they each have an imaginery area they can`t leave and if they do they are sent to the wall.I know you need some order in a school yard but not mixing with each other !.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

When I was in primary school each year group had an area that they were not allowed move from in the yard. It's not a new thing and I doubt it's unusual. It's like that in the secondary school I teach in too. I'd imagine that it makes it easier to get everyone back in promptly at the end of break/lunch. It also separates the smaller ones from the older children and as a result is probably safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Rubber swimming hats are the way to go they keep most of the hair dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

dunlops26 wrote: »
    On the point about turban towels the girls normally did use these now the teachers prevent them from been used after swimming.In relation to not been allowed run in the yard the children are not allowed mix with each other either.My boy is in 6th and his sister is in 4th they each have an imaginery area they can`t leave and if they do they are sent to the wall.I know you need some order in a school yard but not mixing with each other !.

It just shows that you can't please everybody. Having worked in a number of schools, I have had several enquiries from parents, ensuring that younger children will NOT be playing in the same area as older ones. Fears of younger children being knocked over or hurt would be the main concern.

Also, if more than one teacher or adult is on yard duty, each would normally have responsibility for a particular area or number of children/classes. If children are allowed to wander into whichever area they choose, it doesn't make supervision very easy/safe and makes a mockery of security. If something happens whereby a younger child is hurt by an older child (by accident or otherwise), the school will be in the firing line and criticised for not having a stricter, more organised supervision system in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

A letter to the Board of Management is the way to go here. Even a fully functioning Parent's Association has no real input into school rules, etc.

The school should have its policies available upon request, including a supervisions policy for yard time, behaviour policy (including rewards and sanctions), etc.

It's an unfortunate fact of education in this country that a poor principal can instigate a rot in otherwise perfectly good schools.

Advertisement